Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I ended up (impulse-) buying a Pre after toying with it for a while in a German O2 store. I really like the screen (size is smaller than the iPhone's and even the HTC Hero's but somehow the screen real-estate is put to better use - it just looks better). The UI is uber-sexy.

However, when I got home, I very rapidly ran into two major issues (actually, the other major issue was that the German Pre doesn't support data on Swiss SIM-cards and I had to buy an O2 PAYG card before I could even activate it - but I knew that beforehand):

1. Exchange e-mail bodies (from a google premier apps account) aren't downloaded. Instead, I get a message telling me that there has been a timeout. I already tried the battery-pulling method, to no avail. I tried to get this to work for about 5 hours last night but eventually gave up.

I already upgraded to the latest version of (GSM-)Web OS (1.3.1, if memory serves right) but the problem persists. Calendar- and address-book syncing work, though.

2. The Instant Messenger won't connect to my Google talk (also premier apps) account, no matter what. It'll just say "signing in" for ever. No error messages, nothing.

Both of which was through a WiFi connection as data isn't supported for my SIM-card yet (Palm says they'll release an upgrade in the next couple of days to allow APN editing).

can someone help me there?

Peter

edit: perhaps I should also add that using the built-in Google sync rather than Exchange won't work, either: this breaks calendar syncing - letting me know that I don't have calendaring activated for my google account. Needless to say that I've been using google calendar for years, literally.
    Last edited by dakis; 10/15/2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I "solved" the exchange problem by using mail2web.com instead of Google. Seems to be a google-specific issue.

Google talk still won't sign in, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post

... data isn't supported for my SIM-card yet (Palm says they'll release an upgrade in the next couple of days to allow APN editing).
    Did you get this direct from Palm?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Did you get this direct from Palm?
    I got it from O2 Germany (have a look at the FAQ section on their website). And I also know it for a fact since mine won't work.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...rting-pre.html

Peter

... data isn't supported for my SIM-card yet (Palm says they'll release an upgrade in the next couple of days to allow APN editing).

I got it from O2 Germany (have a look at the FAQ section on their website). And I also know it for a fact since mine won't work.

Peter
    It was the bit about the upgrade not the 'isn't supported' bit that I was asking about.
    Hi Dakis,

I just bought my Pre in Germany and activated with O2 prepaid card.
    Now I'm in Switzerland.

Can I updare to the latest OS without losing the activation?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elborderas View Post
    Hi Dakis,

I just bought my Pre in Germany and activated with O2 prepaid card.
    Now I'm in Switzerland.

Can I updare to the latest OS without losing the activation?

Thanks.
    yes, I did an OTA upgrade via WiFi and it didn't require a renewed activation.

Peter
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It was the bit about the upgrade not the 'isn't supported' bit that I was asking about.
    O2 says on their website that Palm will have an upgrade "shortly"
    That's great.
    I hope we can get read out of the O2 sim card soon

So far, I'm loving it. I just need to figure out how to sync my Google Apps calendar with the devices.