Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thank you for contacting Audible.

As per your email, I understand you wish to know when the Palm Pre will be supported. At this present time there is not an estimated date as to when or if the Palm Pre will be supported by Audible. I do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Here at Audible, we truly value and appreciate your business; if you need further assistance, please respond to this email or if you wish, please provide me with a contact number and the best available time to reach you.

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please visit us at: www.audible.com/contactus

Sincerely,
    Maryellen L.
    Audible Customer Support
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    You just reminded me to call audible and freeze my account.. they put my account on hold for the next 3 months.. (i.e. credits stay there, but they won't charge me..)

The CS rep I spoke to mentioned that he was surprised they didn't have an app yet - and that they had told them they were working on it months ago, but he hadn't heard anything about it yet.. (my guess is they looked at the SDK and it wasn't enough for them..)

Anyways my account's on hold for now.
    -mark
    They (Audible) told me that Palm needs to release a Codec for their AA files before they can do anything. I have requested the feature from Palm.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Yeah, my account is frozen too -- I told them if no Pre access by then, I'm cancelling. I'm not toting more than one device around, and I'm not paying $14.99 a month for nothing.
    I have had audible working on my pre using classic since day one (the recent update made it go to 'sleep' but the nodoze app seems to have fixed that part).

I used the files from my treo backup, dragged the prc to the install folder. I cannot use audible air so I do have to manually move the audible files using usb, but having multiple bookmarks and all of my audible books is well worth the extra step for me while we wait (I know there is much interest in an app, and trust there will be one eventually).

They (Audible) told me that Palm needs to release a Codec for their AA files before they can do anything. I have requested the feature from Palm.
    so if it *already* runs on classic are these codecs built into classic, or is that just a story to pass the emails back to the other folks? ;-)
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redheads55 View Post
    so if it *already* runs on classic are these codecs built into classic, or is that just a story to pass the emails back to the other folks? ;-)
    Palm OS Classic supports the loading of custom codecs by apps, so Audible just bundled their codec into the app and used it. webOS doesn't support this yet (and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it never does), so Audible can't do that.

However, Audible offers their SDK and codecs to device manufacturers at no cost, so if Palm wanted to build support for Audible into webOS, it would only cost them the programming time necessary to implement it. Right now, early in the webOS lifespan, Palm's limited resources are being aimed at more vital targets, but I suspect in the next year or so they'll finally have the time to incorporate Audible into the OS - after all, the iPod/iPhone supports it (heck, practically every smartphone around supports it). In fact, I wonder if they'd be able to use Media Sync to sync Audible books via iTunes, a la the iPhone. That would be cool.