1.    #1  
    Hi there,

The USB Massstorage Part of the Palm Pre is formated in FAT32. I need to save some files bigger than 4GB so i was wondering if i can format it to NTFS.
    I did so and the moment I unplugged the Pre from the USB Cable it automatically formated it back to FAT32. Is there a way to prevent this? Or is webos unable to handle NTFS? Anyone who experienced something in future webos Versions? I still have 1.1.3 (Latest Version in Germany)
    I can't offer any help or advice, but that was pretty ballsy just going off and formatting it in NTFS.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiroo View Post
    Hi there,

The USB Massstorage Part of the Palm Pre is formated in FAT32. I need to save some files bigger than 4GB so i was wondering if i can format it to NTFS.
    I did so and the moment I unplugged the Pre from the USB Cable it automatically formated it back to FAT32. Is there a way to prevent this? Or is webos unable to handle NTFS? Anyone who experienced something in future webos Versions? I still have 1.1.3 (Latest Version in Germany)
    NTFS support is limited in most linux distro's..
    -mark
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    NTFS support is limited in most linux distro's..
    -mark
    what exactly does that mean? Are you refering to Pre's Linux core? I for example use gentoo. You can add NTFS support to it. I don't know why FAT32 even still exists

Quote Originally Posted by BucsnNoles View Post
    I can't offer any help or advice, but that was pretty ballsy just going off and formatting it in NTFS.
    Yeah, I know It could have happen to be a very stupid idea haha. But it's pretty amazing that it automatically formated it back within milliseconds and no issues. Cool Palm!!!!!
    You'd have to solve the automatic repartitioning problem first, but I'd try formatting to ext2 or ext3 before trying to get ntfs to work. I really doubt the Pre's kernel is built with the ntfs3g driver.
  6.    #6  
    To be honest i would like to use the pre to play HD Movies via USB on my TV. The TV can only read FAT32 and NTFS. The HD Movies are unfortunately bigger that 4GB ext2 and ext3 are not an option. I guess I have to wat till webos 5 or 6 or even later ;-) mabye in 2012 haha
    I'm doubting that you'll ever see an NTFS USB partition on the pre. It's just not well supported across other platforms. Yes, you can do it on most modern distros of Linux, but it's not perfect. And last I checked NTFS was read only on Mac, but I could be wrong about that.

Key though, is the linux core on the Pre would have to support it, and while it seems like it ought to, there's a lot of testing that would need to be done for a use case that not many users would ever ask for.
    split the video, so it's under 4GB? Or compress with a different codec?
    I need to save some files bigger than 4GB so i was wondering if i can format it to NTFS.
    Unless the EU Pre has more memory than the US one, you won't fit more than one file larger than 4GB on it. I suppose it may be possible to hack it to support NTFS, but you're obviously gonna have to do quite a bit of work to get the auto-FAT32 thing changed.

BTW, FAT32 still exists because its the most universal FS. Linux, Windows, and MacOS can all read it easily.
    I'd be really worried that you wouldn't get write access from the Pre to store all the data it is trying to write to /media/internal. Many Linux distros have read-only NTFS access. Only in the last two years or so was read/write to NTFS fairly common. I don't know how the support is with embedded linux like the Pre.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    To be honest i would like to use the pre to play HD Movies via USB on my TV. The TV can only read FAT32 and NTFS. The HD Movies are unfortunately bigger that 4GB ext2 and ext3 are not an option. I guess I have to wat till webos 5 or 6 or even later ;-) mabye in 2012 haha
    Why not get something like a ZuneHD? They can output to 720p right out of the box, and you can get a 16gb for around 200 bucks. Then you also have app support, web browsing, lots of stuff the Pre does, and then some.
  12. jhp
    Did you change the /etc/fstab entry to reflect the FS change after you reformatted it? I'm not a M$ person, so I'm guessing that the partition may have just been mounted as FAT32, not reformatted if fstab said it was FAT32.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhp View Post
    Did you change the /etc/fstab entry to reflect the FS change after you reformatted it? I'm not a M$ person, so I'm guessing that the partition may have just been mounted as FAT32, not reformatted if fstab said it was FAT32.
    I doubt it ever actually formatted to NTFS in the first place, without root access and remounting RW, you're not going to be able to make changes to the partitions on the phone in the first place.