Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All !

my first post.
    I got the Pre yesterday in Germany in a smaller city. So no pre party for me like in the bigger cities. But anyway, i got one. The Pres arrived in the stores last week (22 pcs. in the biggest o2 shop in my city as the sales guy told me). He also told me last week thursday, he cannot sale them, i had to wait till yesterday.

First impressions:

This device has an amazing UI. Everything works as smooth as expected.
    Unfortunately, it seems that in Germany the devices can only be updated to web os version 1.1.3. No further updates available. This means, all the nice 125 features which come with 1.2 version - nada. Most important - i cannot find out if the battery will last longer with the 1.2 version.

The coverage of the fast UMTS network is ok when you are in or near town. Today i did cross country trip, no network - which brings me to the next point which could be interesting for german users.

I installed the VZ application (studivz etc.) - and wrote a message to a friend in studiVZ. As long as network connection was available i could write the message. When connection was gone - the app brought up a notification that this service requires connection and closed the program. So 10 minutes of writing (still getting used to the pre keyboard) were gone.

Anyway. I like the palm pre very much. I hope that the battery life will improve with a new update of the web os and bring other nice features like screen keyboard (i am afraid of tweaking a webos 1.1.3 device which is brand new).

Without the touchstone the pre is half fun, opening the tiny thing at the side and put in the micro usb is so old school ! Should have bought the touchstone - but well - christmas is coming ; )

Plan for the next days: Keep my eyes open for people on the streets with a palm pre. Then i would look at them and whisper: Palm Pre ? sehr gut!

Regards
    Andy
    congrats on you purchase... the battery will get significantly better as it gets broken in over the next week
    I also got mine yesterday. I'm quite impressed. But the start was troublesome. The first 10 minutes I was cursing. I couldn't remove the battery with that flimsy cheap plastic thingy to install the SIM card. Beside this the build quality is quite good. The slider mechanism feels more solid than on my old N95.

O2 network coverage was always weaker than Vodafone's or T-Online's. But currently they are investing 3.5 billion in their network and the recent network test on connect magazine shows that O2 is now close to the two bigger carriers.

Best regards

Dirk
    Congrats, guys. How about some Pre pictures from Germany?
    Congrats to both of you. Still waiting for the palm pre to arrive here in little Denmark! Oh well...
    Hi guys my first posting here at precentral.
    I'm happy to say that i ordered my Palm Pre today in the O2 online store. It will arrive in 2-3 business days! ASAP i make some pictures with my Pre in Germany

greetings
    Nice to see finally other german users :-) Such a pitty that webos 1.2.1 is not available yet. I had to downgrade my iTunes to get it synced with it. But finally it work. Calendar syncing is amazing :-) Synergy and GUI and everything is great :-) i love this phone :-)
    I wish facebook chat was in synergy, too.
    I can't wait to get my pre hehe. i hope everything working with syncing it to google. What is the better way to do it? Sync Outlook with the palm pre directly or sync outlook with google and then set up the google account in my pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterploxis View Post
    Palm Pre ? sehr gut!

Regards
    Andy
    This seriously made me LOL.
    I have to add, I'm so impressed with your guy's English, and it makes me ashamed to say that I stopped learning a second language. Oh well, as long as everyone keeps wanting to learn English I guess I'll be ok haha.

Also yes, congrats on the purchase, good choice, and it will be nice to all be on 1.3 together when we hit November hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by mase View Post
    I can't wait to get my pre hehe. i hope everything working with syncing it to google. What is the better way to do it? Sync Outlook with the palm pre directly or sync outlook with google and then set up the google account in my pre?
    I went through Google. Set up your Gmail account on the Pre, and everything else is automatically taken care of. It was really nice.
    got mine in one of the big pre shows
    was even one of the first 50 customers who got the touchstone for free.
    this phone is amazing!
    usually i use a blackberry, which i admit is much better as an email machine, BUT the pre is a nice fun phone, with amazing capabilities, which hopefully will beb explored in further OSupdates.
    for now i will use both phones with an multicard, so that i do my emails on the blackberry and the rest with the pre!

for all germans:

i'm using this phone on vodafone and it is amazing! i tried it in the o2 store with their network and even with good reception you can't compare them, since o2 only delivers 3G with 3.6 MBit and Vodafone with 7.2MBit and you feel the difference!

so change your carrier
    Quote Originally Posted by BEDA View Post
    I went through Google. Set up your Gmail account on the Pre, and everything else is automatically taken care of. It was really nice.
    Same here. best way is google. I made a google account only for this purpose. You can make your outlook sync with google, too so you don't even need to connect your pre via USB. Works fine. And as far as I know you need a 3rd party commercial software to sync directly.
    na there is a palm synch app, which as far as i understood will synch your phone once!
    i tried it and it worked just fine!
    but later on i will get a google account, since google offers a lot of nice apps
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubelzar View Post
    usually i use a blackberry, which i admit is much better as an email machine, BUT the pre is a nice fun phone, with amazing capabilities, which hopefully will beb explored in further OSupdates.
    for now i will use both phones with an multicard, so that i do my emails on the blackberry and the rest with the pre!
    What makes the Blackberry a "better email machine"? I'd really like to know.
    the push service!
    i don't know if you ever used one, but the main thing for me is the speed!
    since your email is completly pushed to your phone, you have quicker access to the message, than i have with my imap protocol! every time a open a mail it has to load it.
    if i go to the inbox it takes some time to load the email.
    sure, you could say, that i could switch to pop3 and have the same effect, since the mails are downloaded to your phone, but then i would have to store hundrets of unwanted mails, which would be downloaded UNCOMPRESSED to my device. i don't want to do that. the blackberry emails, even in the html ones are compressed and don't use that much memoryspace.
    also the batterylife is much better. since a blackberry doesn't have to be online all the time, you safe batterlife.
    my palm is connected ALWAYS, which shortens the batterylife to one day maximum.

that's why bb is for emailing better then the pre in a nutshell

i love both devices for what they are
    Quote Originally Posted by rubelzar View Post
    the push service!
    i don't know if you ever used one, but the main thing for me is the speed!
    since your email is completly pushed to your phone, you have quicker access to the message, than i have with my imap protocol! every time a open a mail it has to load it.
    if i go to the inbox it takes some time to load the email.
    sure, you could say, that i could switch to pop3 and have the same effect, since the mails are downloaded to your phone, but then i would have to store hundrets of unwanted mails, which would be downloaded UNCOMPRESSED to my device. i don't want to do that. the blackberry emails, even in the html ones are compressed and don't use that much memoryspace.
    also the batterylife is much better. since a blackberry doesn't have to be online all the time, you safe batterlife.
    my palm is connected ALWAYS, which shortens the batterylife to one day maximum.

that's why bb is for emailing better then the pre in a nutshell

i love both devices for what they are
    You do realize you can set your email to come as it arrives, right? What you're describing as being a benefit sounds like it's not the push service, because it has nothing to do with the arrival of the message in your inbox. You're just describing the speed of switching between and loading messages on the Pre as being slower than the BB, which has been mentioned in reviews before, though personally it's not an issue for me.
    not that'S not true.
    i do realize that i can set my pre up, to get messages as they arrive.
    that's why i have my imap, otherwise it would be pop3 and pop3 don't give you the messages as they arrive, but when they are pulled from your server! which can be done every 5 minutes! then the emails would certainly load faster, since they are stored on the device. but i don't want them to be stored on my device.
    with imap you have to download the email while opening it and that takes some time, even on a decent network.

so if i'm wrong and there is another possobility to set up your email client than pop3/imap please tell me

maybe i would ditch my bb!
    MS Exchange.
    i bought my PRE on thursday in the morning here in hamburg/germany.
    i think i'm a little bit disappointed... i really like the webOS but hardware seems to me to be very cheap, the slider doesn't really fit, i can move the upper displaypart und the keyboard the the left and right... the material is like an LG chocolate from 2004 or 05! Cheapy.

Ps. When will webOS 1.2 arrive here in germany?
    Last edited by mamoc; 10/15/2009 at 03:53 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast