1.    #1  
    I am tired of getting telemarketing calls considering I am on the national DNC list. To make things worse, they call from blocked numbers representing some company only identified by a random array of initials that are completely undecipherable.

These phones are really linux computers. There has to be a way to get them to unblock numbers from calls like this. I'm sure this would be amongst the most complex projects, but it would be nice.

I did a quick google search and came up with this:
    According to Wikipedia, "Asterisk is an open source/free software implementation of a telephone private branch exchange (PBX)". The Asterisk website says it runs on GNU/Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X. On the hardware side, all you need is a computer to use Asterisk with VoIP calls (to interface with the public telephone network requires additional hardware). In other words, it's not an expensive thing to set up.

Asterisk has its own scripting language. Once a phone call hits Mitnick's Asterisk server, a script that he demonstrated analyzes information in the SIP header. The script can see the originating phone number and can also tell that the caller wanted their number hidden. But, just because you ask for something doesn't mean you'll always get it.

So in my limited knowledge of technology and programming I am led to believe that there may be a way to integrate something in our phone...hopefully.

Anyone?
    Don't you mean that you want to block calls so that you don't get them? Unblocking would allow calls that you previously blocked.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Don't you mean that you want to block calls so that you don't get them? Unblocking would allow calls that you previously blocked.
    i'm terrible at expressing myself through typed word lol. what i meant was unblock the numbers.
    Not possible. That sort of thing is up to the phone companies.

Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    i'm terrible at expressing myself through typed word lol. what i meant was unblock the numbers.
    i would like to block some numbers. is there an easy way to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    i would like to block some numbers. is there an easy way to do that?
    Calling Sprint is the only way I know of now. If it's the same number all the time then you can add it as a contact. Find an MP3 that's blank and use that as the ringtone for the contact. That way you might get a call and the screen might light up but it won't ring and annoy you.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    There's a company that provides a service called Trapcall. It unblocks restricted numbers that call cellphones.

TrapCall - Unmask Blocked Calls
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    There's a company that provides a service called Trapcall. It unblocks restricted numbers that call cellphones.

that's pretty cool for a paid service, but it seems like theyre running similar software to asterisk, which is linux/gnu compatible.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post

I just tried it, and it says it does not support Sprint?