Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey PALM - How about giving us a decent home screen that gives us a snapshot of the days activities?

I know the homebrewers have a beautiful product, but I don't know if I have the skills to install and carry out the whole homebrew thing.

What say the people?
  2. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I'm only one out of many people, by my opinion is that I would hate the phone if they cluttered up my wallpaper. I can look at my calendar if I want to see my schedule.

One of the reasons I love the Pre is how simple and elegant the "home screen" and interface is. The HTC Hero might be god's gift to phone users for all I know, but you couldn't make me buy a phone with seven pages of widgets to cycle through.

Just one of the people,
    xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    What say the people?
    This person disagrees. I like having my wallpaper where I can see it. Using programs like Switcharoo I can rotate through all my pictures. If I want to check the weather or anything else, I would run that app.
    The only skills required to install the active home screen app the use of a computer, which you already seem to have down. It might take about 5 minutes to complete.
    I agree. I hate wallpaper. Why would I want to see a picture of my family? I would much rather see my calendar, and the current weather in Sweden.
    I doubt, given my aging eyes, that I could see and make proper use of 10 little widget windows on the webOS "home screen."

Part of the appeal of webOS/Pre for me is that it is simple and uncluttered. If I need to have lightning fast accsess to stock quotes, e-mail or calendar I can leave these cards open and all the info is right there, one click away. If something truly important arises (read: not a change in someones Facebook status) a webOS alert will let me know.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Nothing wrong with the home screen.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Coming from an iPhone and a G1 I find the Pre home screen to be a lot of wasted space. Wouldn't mind adding some extra buttons...
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    I wish we could change what icons are on the home screen and maybe and one more row
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    I wish we could change what icons are on the home screen and maybe and one more row
    You can change the icons on the home screen, the only one that must remain is the launcher icon...
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I'm only one out of many people, by my opinion is that I would hate the phone if they cluttered up my wallpaper. I can look at my calendar if I want to see my schedule.

One of the reasons I love the Pre is how simple and elegant the "home screen" and interface is. The HTC Hero might be god's gift to phone users for all I know, but you couldn't make me buy a phone with seven pages of widgets to cycle through.

Just one of the people,
    xtn
    Looks like this is all about personal opinion but I agree with this guy.
    i'd go for it, but ONLY if it's done in a minimal/elegant way. that is, don't just throw everything on the home screen like windows mobile or android or any of the other mobile OSes out there. the homebrew solution that someone is working on in this forum is NOT it either.

what all of these solutions try to do is to just cram as much as they can on to the home screen, and tries to have a "nice" wallpaper in the background. this is the classic i-want-everything solution that is so often asked for. while the request sounds okay, the implementation is really difficult because the request is really two opposing ones: have a lot going on while at the same time don't have a lot going on.

so, no. I do not want it. people like myself who do this kind of thing for a living constantly get these kinds of requests from clients, and in the end they get a crappy experience and then they realize why we say "no that's a bad idea" in the first place.
    The "home screen" on webOS does not have any icons to begin with so changing them or adding another row is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    My home screen is fine. If Palm wants to give an option to do all that widget non-sense, that would be ok but ONLY as on option.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I like the WebOS home screen. I like my wallpapers. I have my notifications and my launcher, and if I want to see the weather or my agenda, for example, then I will run the appropriate application. I had a WinMo phone already. I now love the simplicity of WebOS.

That being said, I thought of something that the "home screen" crowd might like. Palm should incorporate a new gesture for bringing up a default card, such as a home screen card. I'm thinking of a gesture where you start at the left gesture area and make a half-circle over the center button ending on the right gesture area. This would cause a default card, which is always running and updating, to rotate clockwise into view. To send the card back into the background, you would just do the counter-clockwise gesture. You could make any application, like a home screen app, the default card. So you have one go-to app that is always running and ready to go with one swipe and no loading time. Even though I don't want a home screen, I could think of an app that I would want ready to go at all times.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I do miss being able to see my calendar from my homescreen. With that said I wish palm would do the following:

Add the next appointment(s) to the lock screen.
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    The only way I might be forced into having any kind of "widget" is if maybe it was only a tiny little line of three dots on the side edge of the screen, that you could tap and drag the widget out into view like a drawer, and then drag it back out of view like "closing the drawer" so to speak.

Something like that I could tolerate.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    My home screen is fine. If Palm wants to give an option to do all that widget non-sense, that would be ok but ONLY as on option.

I agree but i actually think that making use of the home-screen official is a must only if you have the option of taking it off or customizing it. it would be cool if a customizable card could be implemented or set as home-screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    You can change the icons on the home screen, the only one that must remain is the launcher icon...
    How?
  20. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    The icons on the home screen are not actually on the home screen. They are on the QuickLaunch bar.

You know how you can tap/hold/drag icons around in the launcher to reorganize them? Well when the launcher is open you can move the QuickLaunch icons in and out of the launcher, reorder them, etc.

xtn
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast