Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    That isn't logical.

Lets suppose you had a weather widget versus a weather app. If they're static (not updating themselves automatically) then they both use the same batter power. If they ARE updating themselves equally (getting the same new data at the same time interval, then they are using the same battery power. Doesn't matter if you send out for new data over the network from a card or a home screen widget, either way uses the data network for a bit and requires a bit of batter power.

For a static app, it probably uses more battery power to open it than it does to just leave it sitting there. For a dynamic, self updating app, it probably uses LESS batter power because you can close it most of the time than a widget would use to do the same thing (since the widget would be on all the time).

xtn
    Okay, sure. Battery life would still probably be a concern if you had widgets versus cards, but that doesn't address the root question of if it would be possible to actually do this.

Why couldn't there be some coding to have a graphical overlay set for when the cards are closed, and to have it disappear when the cards are open?

I don't see any reason why not.
    I like looking at a pic of my kids. If I want to see what's on my calendar, I tap calendar. If I have something imminent, the notifications tell me about it. If I have a message, I get a notification.
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Okay, sure. Battery life would still probably be a concern if you had widgets versus cards, but that doesn't address the root question of if it would be possible to actually do this.

Why couldn't there be some coding to have a graphical overlay set for when the cards are closed, and to have it disappear when the cards are open?

I don't see any reason why not.
    I can't think of any reason it couldn't be done. Why would it need to disappear when a card was open? The card would cover it up, right?

I like my proposal of a "widget drawer" that slides open from the side. It could slide out for a quick viewing of your schedule, or the weather or whatever, whether you had a card opened or not.

xtn
    i don't like having the active homescreen as a card. the thing about the active homescreen is that i want that to be my dominant screen. i would like the active homescreen to be on my background, and then when i want to use my apps or whatever card i'm using, it will open that card, but leave the active homescreen on the main background page. like wise, i don't want the homescreen to shrink into a card when i click the quickapp panel. it should be in the background at all times. the option to have a customizable main page or an empty ("clean") background is a must.
    Why can't Palm just give us the best of both worlds and if you want your calendar, weather and whatever else on your home screen you can do it if not it is just a pretty picture.

I have to say I would at least like my upcoming appts. Weather is nice but I can look out the window.

The whole point of new technology is making it easier for everyone. So let people have the choice.

Just my 2 cents
    I would be in favor of the OPTION to add a second launcher bar to the Card view, such as the mock-up I did here: "How Palm could reduce screen real estate waste"

I am also in favor of an OPTION to have an at-a-glance today screen accessible via swipe much like the launcher page, such as discussed here: "My ideas for a Today screen...Your thoughts??"

I think the key point is that everyone may have different taste in what they want to see which is why we need options. WebOS is powerful enough and flexible enough to have enough options to fill most of our needs/preferences.
    I like the simplistic nature of seeing my background.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    The HTC Hero might be god's gift to phone users for all I know, but you couldn't make me buy a phone with seven pages of widgets to cycle through.
    xtn
    Yeeeeeeesss, I absolutely agree.

An app for the people who want it would be nice, but I love the fact that there's nothing on the homescreen. I like to see my wallpaper. Now, maybe if we could have a launcher screen...or for example, have the page to the left be reserved for this screen...

I'd like to be able to see calendar events from the lockscreen, though, I'd be happy with any of the above implementations.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    There is a homebrew weather app that will dynamically create a wallpaper image that has the weather on it. So there's a doable work around for this type of behavior.

I wish the person that did "Agenda" would figure out how the weather app creates a dynamic image so that I could have that information instead.
    I am the complete opposite with the homescreen. I downloaded the clear theme with homebrew and cleared all the wave apps so I have nothing on there but my wallpaper. If I want something like widgets open I can just leave my cards open all the time, that's what they are there for.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123