Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    Hey PALM - How about giving us a decent home screen that gives us a snapshot of the days activities?

I know the homebrewers have a beautiful product, but I don't know if I have the skills to install and carry out the whole homebrew thing.

What say the people?
    I agree that the homescreen is major wasted space and appointments is one of the big things I would like to see get on there.

WebOS is very elegant and beautiful but it is a little too cookie cutter for me at this point.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm still in favor of a "Joker" or "Wild Card" app as they were theorized about early on after CES and that Active Home Screen kind of does.

Essentially a card that would have all your typical widget information. Think the Windows Mobile default today screen listing off some weather, upcoming appointment, tasks, etc. Basic text stuff.

The whole purpose of the card would be to leave it open. If you could make it so the stuff is readable in the small view then that's great. If not then its one click access to everything you want. I'd want to see it more like an actual card than a simulation homescreen like AHS is.

But utlimately I would rather them not default add in widgets to the today screen, and I'm glad they're not focusing efforts to that instead of other places. Coming from years upon years of windows mobile, I love the simplicity and clean look of it, and if I want quick access to things like calender, tasks, weather, etc, I can just leave the cards open and get the full app right off.
    There really is no "home" screen on WebOS, and the idea of one is kinda' contrary to the whole concept of cards and multi-tasking. Now someone can pretty easily develop an app that displays several different "widgets" and the day's activities, and you can just leave that app running. But I like the simplicity of the plain wallpaper, and the idea of just having apps and no preset "home" screen.

I watched a video demo of the HTC Hero the other day and it just looked so confusing, with all those widgets floating all over those 7 "home" pages 8^).
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Everyone's got an opinion. Personally, I'd rather have some widgets and info on my home screen too, and that's about the only gripe I have with the webOS ui. AHS is pretty good, but it's got some issues. For one, it doesn't actually replace the interface layer, it runs as an app card. Two, it's not under active development, and you can't get a working version. Three, it doesn't actually display your upcoming calendar agenda items, it fudges things by creating its own to-do list that you have to edit separately.

Perhaps Palm should consider addressing people's varying preferences for the home screen interface the same way RIM does - through a theming interface. The "classic" Blackberry themes are built around a 6-icon bottom launcher, an L-shaped launcher, or a "Today" screen with calendar or email display (or a launcher + Today). More modern Berries have more advanced custom interfaces, but are still controlled by the theming engine.

Different themes could offer different options to suit the needs and desires of different Palm users as well. Some of us want smaller cards, and more customized information on the home screen of the phone (I'd like to see my next two appointments, the current phase of the moon, and a rotating or scrolling widget of headlines from my google reader rss feeds)
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
    Coming from WinMo I really don't want a cluttered "homescreen". I like it the way it is now. I keep my SMS/Email/Calendar/Tasks open more of the time anyway so i can easily slide between them all to see what I want to see.

A homescreen "app" could be a cool thing, I suppose.
    I would like it more customizable too. Seems a waste of a lot of space and only 5 icons to do things with.

I have never had a phone before with such few icons. I would like something similar to the WinMo 6 Treo home screen. You can add one touch photo contacts, calendar, reminders, etc....
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i Lovethe home screen... simple .. and nice to look @

and btw .. u change ur icons on the quick launch home screen just like you do in the reg launcher .. have te luncher open and move around
    You know, having home screen widgets could introduce new and more troublesome memory(leak) issues. I'm happy the way things are right now.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I like the uncluttered look of the homescreen. I don't feel like its wasted space at all, I think the pre uses space very effectively
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    The icons on the home screen are not actually on the home screen. They are on the QuickLaunch bar.

You know how you can tap/hold/drag icons around in the launcher to reorganize them? Well when the launcher is open you can move the QuickLaunch icons in and out of the launcher, reorder them, etc.

xtn
    How do you add an app to the QuickLaunch?
    you tap-hold-drag the icon into (or out of) the launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTommy View Post
    How do you add an app to the QuickLaunch?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    you tap-hold-drag the icon into (or out of) the launcher.
    I tried that but it won't stay in the QuickLaunch... The app just follows my finger and when I let go, it pops back up to the main Launcher page...
    There is an app in homebrew called "agenda"

This would solve many people's issues.
    I think I would prefer if the launcher had a "today" page. I really like my wallpaper and don't want it obscured by all that clutter. I would even go so far as to say get rid of the quick launch at the bottom and I'll just use the wave (which I do all the time anyway).
    Remove one first to make room and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTommy View Post
    I tried that but it won't stay in the QuickLaunch... The app just follows my finger and when I let go, it pops back up to the main Launcher page...
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Remove one first to make room and try again.
    Ah, I see... Kind of lame though since I don't really want to remove any...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    This is something I brought up in a different thread, "Interactive Wallpapers".

Why don't they allow some sort of "widgetable" customization that displays ONLY when there are no cards open, or at least provides opacity options for that widget to display in the background when you do?

For example: you run a "weather" widget. You don't need a card open, it just takes current/local weather information from an applicable app and automatically overlays it on your home screen. Then, when you open a card, it blurs/fades the weather information out until the card is dismissed. Could you do this with some kind of graphical overlay? Why COULDN'T you do this?

I love webOS, but I can't always keep my cards open if it means neutering my battery life even more than it always is. So I'm constantly having to open/dismiss apps when I should just be able to look at my phone and see what I want to see directly.

Honestly, as pretty as the Pre's display is, it's largely useless if you're not looking at open cards. And the problem is, if you keep cards open, you're not going to be using your phone for very long.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I personally like my clean desktop. I wouldn't mind say a weather app, but that's about it.
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I love webOS, but I can't always keep my cards open if it means neutering my battery life even more than it always is. So I'm constantly having to open/dismiss apps when I should just be able to look at my phone and see what I want to see directly.

Honestly, as pretty as the Pre's display is, it's largely useless if you're not looking at open cards. And the problem is, if you keep cards open, you're not going to be using your phone for very long.
    That isn't logical.

Lets suppose you had a weather widget versus a weather app. If they're static (not updating themselves automatically) then they both use the same batter power. If they ARE updating themselves equally (getting the same new data at the same time interval, then they are using the same battery power. Doesn't matter if you send out for new data over the network from a card or a home screen widget, either way uses the data network for a bit and requires a bit of batter power.

For a static app, it probably uses more battery power to open it than it does to just leave it sitting there. For a dynamic, self updating app, it probably uses LESS batter power because you can close it most of the time than a widget would use to do the same thing (since the widget would be on all the time).

xtn
  20. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I just got back to my office from my lunch hour, which I used to go to the local sprint store and check out the HTC Hero. It might be the greatest phone ever created for all I know, but I just HATED the interface experience.

xtn
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast