Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does anybody else's phone creak? Mine does it worse with the TS battery cover on. I found it if I kinda lined the battery door with a thin layer of scotch tape it does get better. I'm wondering if a new battery cover would solve it?
    I was going to reply that it's the standard battery door that's responsible for the creaking, and that the TS battery door might be better in this regard thanks to it's soft-touch backing, but now I see that this isn't the case. Damn. And my TS arrives tomorrow.

Perhaps the Hero ain't so bad after all...

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    This bugged me too...an extremely simple and non-invasive solution is using thin strips of electrical tape on both long edges of the battery cover. It increases the leverage the cover has on the phone by just a tiny bit. I only used 2 strips...don't go overkill.

Also, be very careful as you take the cover off each time. As you separate the body from the cover, kind of push the cover sideways and it releases one of the side "tabs", then the cover will come off nice and easy.

Lastly, (and this one is very strange to me), is as you put the cover back on hook it at the top like normal, but then - snap the bottom tabs FIRST....then snap the side tabs. I don't understand why this works for me, but it is 100% reproducible. Snap sides first = squeeky/creaky keyboard. Snap bottom first = zero creaks, ever. Strange, I know, but try it.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acraniotes View Post
    Perhaps the Hero ain't so bad after all...
    Oh, and if a "creaky" KB is grounds for switching devices (although Android is a really stellar OS)....you really missed the differential advantage of webOS.

Devices are devices....the Pre is a Gen1 device and has some flaws that will certainly be addressed in future generations...keep it all in context. The Pre is an unbelievable device that is changing the game.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Lastly, (and this one is very strange to me), is as you put the cover back on hook it at the top like normal, but then - snap the bottom tabs FIRST....then snap the side tabs. I don't understand why this works for me, but it is 100% reproducible. Snap sides first = squeeky/creaky keyboard. Snap bottom first = zero creaks, ever. Strange, I know, but try it.
    Sweet, this did the trick for me. I have a touchstone back cover that was getting really creaky and putting the back cover on as you suggested eliminated 95% of the creaking.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    This bugged me too...an extremely simple and non-invasive solution is using thin strips of electrical tape on both long edges of the battery cover. It increases the leverage the cover has on the phone by just a tiny bit. I only used 2 strips...don't go overkill.

Also, be very careful as you take the cover off each time. As you separate the body from the cover, kind of push the cover sideways and it releases one of the side "tabs", then the cover will come off nice and easy.

Did not work for me, I have tried just about every kind of tape combos with no luck. Could you post a pic for us?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    thanks for posting this guys. resolving the squeaky case when texting issue is saved me a trip to the store... like x-mas in October!
  8.    #8  
    No prob, didnt help me though. I called palm and they are sending me a new TS cover. They said it should be here friday or monday for sure. I'll post back to tell you what happens and if it helps.
    mine and my wifes does it, just build issues
    The TS back cover also made more more creaky. I even have the Innocase on and it's still creaky. Honestly, the main reason I got the Innocase was to make the phone feel more solid (ie. don't feel the loose slider as much) and to not make it creak...but it still does. I'm going to try putting the battery cover on like you suggested and leave the Innocase off to see if I notice a difference.

If not, I might be selling my Pre for a Hero because honestly, the biggest thing to me is to have a solid feeling phone. I feel like I have to be so delicate with the Pre and it's getting old.
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    Mine is fine with the Seidio Innocase cover on...no creaks and feels more sturdy when using the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by short_round View Post
    Mine is fine with the Seidio Innocase cover on...no creaks and feels more sturdy when using the phone.
    I think I got a crappy Innocase. The cut outs for the volume rocker and usb port are bowed out and don't fit it flush. I've contaced Seidio but they haven't gotten back to me
    NOOOOOOORTH!
  13.    #13  
    Mine still creaked with the Innocase but not too bad. With the factory battery cover its pretty rock solid. Mine only started to do it after a warranty TS base and cover. So I hope a new one fixes it.
    I used a couple strips of blue painters tape suggested in this forum a month and a half or so ago. Worked like a charm.
    The main reason for the creaking is the friction between the cover edges (long edge) and the body's mating edge. When a cover is new, the plastic is fairly stiff but over time will flex more, hence the friction and creaking. Well what do you normally do about friction? - you lubricate. I read someone in this forum just applied some candle wax on the long edges of the cover - this made sense to me. I haven't done it since the creaking doesn't bother me that much now that I know why.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  16.    #16  
    Mine makes a snaping noise if you press fairly heavy about where the usb port is even with out the cover is this normal or am I just looking for problems? I can take it if you call me OCD.
    I think you might have cracked close to usb port. It's been reported.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    This is the ONLY issue I have with the Pre. My favorite phone I've ever had, but this ****ing keyboard. UGH. I need to. . try what turtle3 said. I will report back.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I bought the touchstone cover yesterday.. Creaks are gone. I guess the hard plastic of the default one is the problem. The touchstone cover is softer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    Mine makes a snaping noise if you press fairly heavy about where the usb port is even with out the cover is this normal or am I just looking for problems? I can take it if you call me OCD.
    No...I'm totally the same way. I can deal with it being a little laggy at times and other issues it may have but I want it to feel solid. I'm still considering buying the hero. Only problem is I'll have to pay $479 for it. I'm thinking of selling the Pre, touchstone and Innocase all in one for $220, thoughts on the price?
    NOOOOOOORTH!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast