Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    My remote start does this for me already! Waste of money! -1
    $300 for the module for the car and a fee to use it is insane. It certainly has the cool factor but I couldn't imagine paying that much for it.
    Its definitely has a "cool factor" but if someone steals your phone then they can have your car as well.

Plus the ZR1 is such a great car, don't make it easy for someone to snatch it away from you.
    The price on it is insanely high, but it really is darned cool. It's fairly obvious why they're targeting the iPhone first (trying to get all those Apple ******* with more money than sense ).
    BTW, for those who don't wanna visit the Viper site and try to figure it out, the price is $300 for the module if you already have a remote starter, $500 for the starter and remote start module. It includes 1 yr of service... after that, the service is $30/yr.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    not if you lock your phone.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I did like it. tell you said $30 a year for the service.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Its definitely has a "cool factor" but if someone steals your phone then they can have your car as well.

Plus the ZR1 is such a great car, don't make it easy for someone to snatch it away from you.
    Remote start just starts the engine... you still need the keys to actually unlock the steering column and (if it's an automatic) gear shifter. Not that breaking either of those is impossible, but if the thief is at that point, it's also not impossible to just hot-wire it to start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post

The remote start feature (which many people use in the northern states to warm up their vehicles in cold weather) does not allow you to actually drive the thing away. The steering wheel is still locked. If they managed to break the steering lock, there is an ignition kill switch built into Viper's systems that will disable the vehicle.

Per the information found on the viper site (can't link or even post URLs yet)
    Every Viper system comes with Failsafe Starter Kill, which is an immobilizer designed to prevent hot-wiring.

You don't honestly think you can actually drive the car without the key in the ignition do you?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Someone steals my phone and gets a free car out of it too? NO THANKS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Someone steals my phone and gets a free car out of it too? NO THANKS!!
    What part of you need the keys to actually drive the thing aren't you getting? If they break the wheel lock, which they would have to do to be able to move the steering wheel and gearshift on any modern car, there is an ignition kill switch built into the system which will disable the vehicle.

You people have no idea how these things work, do you?

Remote start will only run your vehicle for a preset amount of time, usually 3 to 5 minutes, allowing the engine to warm up so that the heater can warm the passenger compartment of your vehicle. It will cut off your engine after the predetermined time has passed. It doesn't allow for indefinite engine operation.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 10/14/2009 at 10:22 AM.
    If the keys are not in the ignition, and are not in the "on" position when the brake pedal is pressed, the engine dies. All new vehicles will not let you shift out of park without the brake pedal being pushed.

Somebody will need more than your phone to steal your car.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Still trying to figure out why anyone would want this instead of just buying the factory option - its a available on a lot of newer cars, usually for $250 - $400 depending on what you're buying. And you don't have to pay a subscription either. I guess to some people turning the car on with an iPhone is "cooler" than using the plastic remote that came with the car.
    Last edited by solarus; 10/14/2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Still trying to figure out why anyone would want this instead of just buying the factory option -
    Longer range. Most factory models have a 1000 to 1200 foot range. Some are available that have a 1 mile range. I have one of those, and depending on what is between me and the car when I want to start it, the range could be significantly decreased. A cell phone feature would have an unlimited range, as long as the car has a cell signal.

My wife works in a hospital, and she has to park in a brick and cement, multi-level garage. Sometimes her extended range remote starter works, sometimes it doesn't. This feature would be something she would like.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    not sure the $30 a year service is worth it.

I wish I could program my phone to open my garage door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    not sure the $30 a year service is worth it.
    It is if it keeps the wife happy.
    Idling car engines is something back from the 90s where people thought oil would last forever. From my point of view, this limits the 'cool' factor very much.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    It is if it keeps the wife happy.
    LOL Too funny, yet so so true
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast