Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    the lock on this phone would be alot nicer if it didnt have that 'emergency call' button on it. i had some friends over on saturday night and was holding my Pre at my side. somehow I managed to hit the e-call button, and wasn't able to unlock my phone fast enough to keep it from connecting. i had to explain to them how i wasn't used to my new phone. lol.

anyway, does anyone know of a patch or something that turns this key off or removes it entirely? also, are there ways to modify the lock so that it only comes on after like an hour of disuse? i hate how i need to unlock the phone every 60 seconds.
    I've never even came close to doing that I dont know how you accomplished it.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Ive done it more than once, but i usually am able to catch it and hang up right away. Ive heard that complaint on here before. It really is a little too easy to call 911 from the enter pin screen.
    Done it myself but i gotta comment on the 911 feature(which other phones might do too but i have no idea)

Usually, if I call 911 on my cell phone, it'll hook me up to CHP. Instead, the Pre "located" the nearest police station, and hooked me up to Emergency Services for the Pleasant Hill police. Now, like I said, on my iPhone, when i've called 911, I've gotten to the CHP, and been put on hold and etc. This found my closest 911 operator locally and patched me through! I thought it was quite amazing.
    That's interesting about the locate for 911... I always programmed the local and county emergency numbers into my phone. I've never seen this feature because I don't use the screen lock.
    It's happened several times to me, usually when I just pull the phone off the touchstone.

I'd like to see a tweak that would make the button smaller or maybe add a prompt saying "are you sure you want to dial 911?"

Luckily I was able to cancel each time before the call went through.
    Or we could just remove the button completely. "Oh noes! I have to type in 9-1-1 one number at a time"
    It has happened to both my wife and myself multiple times. Luckily we haven't been connected to the operator yet.

The worst time for me was when I accidentally called 911, and in my panic started repeatedly hitting the end-call button. But the pre saw these as multiple button presses, and ended the call->redialed 911! It took me a few times of seeing "connecting" to slow down enough to hit the button ONCE to stop calling.
    Just an FYI.....I put in a patch request here.

Feel free to add comments or just say "I want a patch also."
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    My Exchange server at work forced this on my phone. After calling 911 3 times I got more accustomed to it but I really think Palm should have thought this one through. I applaud them for providing the option of an Emergency Call but unintended use is really a problem. Maybe a two button hit to make the call, an "Are You Sure".
    one of the times 911 called me back, I was like, "er, a, my phone accidently dialed you" They were like are you sure everything is ok?

It seems they did something, I haven't done it in a while but first few weeks did it several times.
    what are you guys talking about? there is no 911 feature on my phone had it since it came out. the screen locks turns black than you hit the top button and "drag the lock icon" to unlock. no patch needed for that.
    they are talking about when you have to enter a pin to unlock...
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Done it myself but i gotta comment on the 911 feature(which other phones might do too but i have no idea)

Usually, if I call 911 on my cell phone, it'll hook me up to CHP. Instead, the Pre "located" the nearest police station, and hooked me up to Emergency Services for the Pleasant Hill police. Now, like I said, on my iPhone, when i've called 911, I've gotten to the CHP, and been put on hold and etc. This found my closest 911 operator locally and patched me through! I thought it was quite amazing.
    This really has nothing to do with the phone, but the network. Where your 911 call ends up depends on what cell tower you are currently using. If you are within range of a tower that services a highway, you will most likely be connected to CHP. Any other tower, you will go to local 911.
    I had this issue back in NY. Since I lived near a highway, my 911 fire call was first routed to the NY state police, then to the local town police, then to the local FD. Probably took 2 minutes of transferring and ringing before i got the FD.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    If you're wanting to set the LOCK for 60 minutes, what's the point of having the LOCK?!?!?!? Just manually LOCK it when you want -leave it open the rest of the time -you're defeating the purpose.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    This is an Exchange Server (EAS) issue. Some of us connect to an exchange server (usually for work email) and a recent EAS update requires the PIN be set on the phone and it must be unlocked for each and every use. Adjustment of the time delay is not an option.

There have been many threads on this and some solutions that could get you fired. But that's not the point. The point is that this feature, for some, is not an option and not adjustable; if only the emergency call button worked in a less risky manner
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    If you're wanting to set the LOCK for 60 minutes, what's the point of having the LOCK?!?!?!? Just manually LOCK it when you want -leave it open the rest of the time -you're defeating the purpose.
    Some of us who use our work's exchange server don't have the choice of lock or no lock; the system admins have set it to lock. I wish I could manually unlock it, but the only way would be to delete my work email account from my Pre and that would defeat the purpose of having a smartphone for me. A time lock would at least save me some headache since IT won't budge in removing the PIN requirement. I didn't have this problem with my Treos...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    I always keep my phone locked in case I lose it. God forbid someone finds and and gets into all my information.
  19. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    This has happened to me before, on both the Pre and my old Treo. I'd rather not have that button there. It's like someone said, it's not hard to dial 9-1-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect5th View Post
    the lock on this phone would be alot nicer if it didnt have that 'emergency call' button on it. i had some friends over on saturday night and was holding my Pre at my side. somehow I managed to hit the e-call button, and wasn't able to unlock my phone fast enough to keep it from connecting. i had to explain to them how i wasn't used to my new phone...
    I finally had to stop using the screen-lock "feature" due to the relative ease with which the phone would start dialing 9-1-1 calls. When removing it from the touchstone the screen would activate, then it would start dialing, even if I was being very careful about where I placed my hand and fingers while removing it.

I don't like leaving my phone unlocked, but it's just too easy to accidently start dialing 9-1-1.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast