Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    google maps current location is really off from my actual locations. my phone before this had a very similar google maps and it works perfectly fine in the same area. (i'm staring at them side by side right now)

anyone know what the issue may be or a way to "recalibrate" the triangulation?

hes a screenshot:

the bigger circle is my actual location.
    Last edited by Vimick; 10/13/2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    if i had to guess i would say that it is using your position from cell towers rather than gps. Have you made sure gps is turned on. Try turning it off and on
    Fer awhile, I was getting a weird error where google maps was telling me that I was in Minneapolis.. when I in fact live about 4 hours south of it... But I haven't had that error in a long time, probly since 1.2.1 it might of kicked it somehow, not sure.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    if i had to guess i would say that it is using your position from cell towers rather than gps. Have you made sure gps is turned on. Try turning it off and on
    this cant be the cause because my other phone has no gps functionality only google maps and it works perfectly fine right next to my pre. yet the pre reports this location off by about 1/4 of a mile.

EDIT: i tested this just to see. i turned off google maps locator and turned on only gps. this throws google maps about 1/4 miles to the west instead of the north :/
    Last edited by Vimick; 10/14/2009 at 12:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My Google maps locate me consistenty about a quarter mile away from my true location. When I switch off the Locate me using Google and only have GPS toggled 'on'. It finds me true and on the money. It seems Google's Locations choice is off.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    i turn on wifi and now it jumps 1/4 mile to the south east -_-
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimick View Post
    i turn on wifi and now it jumps 1/4 mile to the south east -_-
    its finding your position without the gps. Mine does this too. If you turn on the gps it should be dead on, and your other phone must have gps in order to get your position that accurately unless you are lucky enough to live dead center between a bunch of cell towers
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    it may not be that the gps is turned off just that it can't reach the sats for one reason or another
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    when I first open it I get one position and then in a few sec it gets a gps fix and lands on me. I get different starting points from evdo and wifi. They either triangulate with towers or use your ip, you just aren't getting the gps fix for some reason. Try going outside
    Anybody else notice weirdness with some of the other location apps, specifically Homebrews?

I had one installed last week that was supposed to mark your location on a Google map, but the location it marked with the little red tear drop was like a quarter-mile away - yet the blue dot on the map from GPS was showing up directly at my house. And the accuracy quoted by the app is "within 350 meters". ***?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qigate View Post
    My Google maps locate me consistenty about a quarter mile away from my true location. When I switch off the Locate me using Google and only have GPS toggled 'on'. It finds me true and on the money. It seems Google's Locations choice is off.
    GPS On always gets me to the right spot (even to about what room I may be in in my house). The Google Locator is using Cell Tower Triangulation (from what I have read in other posts), and it can be off up to 1000 meters I think it is.

Locate By Google is fine if you are just using it to find near by businesses, but if you need to navigate to somewhere, the GPS is really needed.
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).