1.    #1  
    I bought a Pre on launch day. It was great for the most part. I fell in love with the phone as a whole. Then my software went nutty after 1.2. I returned it to sprint and got a new phone. I don't like the build quality as much on this one as I did on my first one but both of them have problems.

1st Pre:

Slider crash problem (loose battery...stuck a piece of paper in there)
    Slider rubbed and scuffed the keyboard area

2nd Pre:

Oreo effect
    Slider rubs and scuffs keyboard
    backlight on keyboard is very dim in the middle on the TYGHVB keys.
    USB port doesn't close properly. (sticks out a little bit when closed).

Sucks because launch day Pre was pretty solid, but the software just went completely crazy on me. Calculator disappeared, notification sounds went away. YouTube, streaming media quit working, and the camera would never load anymore. .....THEN when i reset the phone my palm profile lost all my contacts. UGH it was hell. Not even the WebOS doctor helped it.

Love this phone and its potential but they really botched the hardware. Hopefully the Pre2 will be better.
    I hate to say it, but I think the software went crazy because you filled up the /var filesystem. You should have doctored it and everything would be nice again right now.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I hate to say it, but I think the software went crazy because you filled up the /var filesystem. You should have doctored it and everything would be nice again right now.
    I don't know what the /var filesystem is, but I DID try to doctor it. It would get halfway through the process and lock up.

That doesn't explain losing my Palm Profile either. I did a manual backup right before I reset too. Anyway...what is done is done now. It is possible that someone with more tech smarts could have gotten everything back to though.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I got mine a couple weeks ago. I tried to remove the battery just because I like opening up toys and playing. The thing was wedged in so tight I was very afraid I was going to rip off that plastic tab when trying to pull it out. I'd heard about the loose battery issue, but mine absolutely doesn't suffer from that by any means. So they've either fixed the loose battery issue totally, or their batches vary a lot in fit.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    there were a number of faulty units early on. My launch day pre was perfect but got stuck in headset mode and none of the fixes would work. I sent two back in the store that were horrible and settled for the third which was better than the first two but not as good as my launch day unit. The ultimate question is how often you drop the phone. I have dropped mine ten times or so now and its got the wobble of some of the bad units in the store, but is more than solid and has only cosmetic damage. Htc is good at sliders. It may wobble but its not going anywhere.