Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So a buddy of mine works for Popular Mechanics in NYC and he is a big supporter of everything apple including his Iphone 3GS. We have gone back and fourth and it's kinda been a who can top who thing between my Pre and His iphone. It must have irked him immensely to have to begrudgingly send me this picture after his company gave the Pre a Best Product Award...lol. He probably has to walk into his office everyday and see the display. To add insult to injury lately the AT&T bandwidth in NYC is stretched so thin that he will have full bars in Midtown and not be able to make calls or send texts...hahahaha

Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    So a buddy of mine works for Popular Mechanics in NYC and he is a big supporter of everything apple including his Iphone 3GS. We have gone back and fourth and it's kinda been a who can top who thing between my Pre and His iphone. It must have irked him immensely to have to begrudgingly send me this picture after his company gave the Pre a Best Product Award...lol. He probably has to walk into his office everyday and see the display. To add insult to injury lately the AT&T bandwidth in NYC is stretched so thin that he will have full bars in Midtown and not be able to make calls or send texts...hahahaha
    That Rocks!!! I'd love to find out more details on what Popular Mechanics felt made the Palm Pre standout above all others??? The article was pretty thin on details and either way thanks for the update. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    very nice indeed! I have a iphone 3g too, but i love my Pre. Period!!
    My phone is a Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    +1
    I read about that, it fills me with tingly feelings!

That last sentence on the award has got to be just a big slap across apple. "--and it can run multiple applications at once."
    I am concerned for Palm and it customers. They continue to claim, in advertising, that the Pre Sync's with iTunes.

If you ask me, this is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Just my observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    I am concerned for Palm and it customers. They continue to claim, in advertising, that the Pre Sync's with iTunes.

Just my observation.
    How many threads are you going to post this in?
    Why is it a lawsuit? Palm is not claiming to own itunes or anything I dont see apple stopping Palm. If apple wanted to they could make it so itunes doesnt sync with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Polite View Post
    How many threads are you going to post this in?
    As many posts the response is applicable to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Why is it a lawsuit? Palm is not claiming to own itunes or anything I dont see apple stopping Palm. If apple wanted to they could make it so itunes doesnt sync with it.
    They are claiming the phone will sync with iTunes. If Apple were to block it or Palm is forced to stop hacking iTunes there could be hell to pay.

If, one were to buy the device over the iPhone and gets locked into a 2year contract and purchased the phone for that feature, that all it would take.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    They are claiming the phone will sync with iTunes. If Apple were to block it or Palm is forced to stop hacking iTunes there could be hell to pay.

If, one were to buy the device over the iPhone and gets locked into a 2year contract and purchased the phone for that feature, that all it would take.
    Somehow I don't think someone who depends on itunes would want to admit to buying the pre. And what's the damage another free program is required. Not much of a case.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Just my observation.
    It will ALWAYS sync with iTunes. They never claim it'll sync with the latest version of iTunes though.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I didn't see anywhere in my paperwork or sprint contract where they guarantee iTunes sync forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    It will ALWAYS sync with iTunes. They never claim it'll sync with the latest version of iTunes though.
    So are you suggesting that if Palm is served with a cease and desist order, they will still provide a link to an older version on iTunes? This would still be the user having to know what version to use and not convenient. Thus, opening the door for this sort of (frivolous or not) legal action.

Im not looking for an argument here. I just think they are asking for trouble on the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    I didn't see anywhere in my paperwork or sprint contract where they guarantee iTunes sync forever.
    Im sure you didn't find guarantees on google sync, applications or anything else.

There is a difference in the phone not being compatible by product/software owners choice. These thing can change at any time.

It is a different story if the promoter/device maker sells a product knowing a feature is not legally allowed to be used or does not have consent to be used with said product. I would think this is bordering deception.

Again, just looking for a discussion, not a fight.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    anybody that depends on itunes deserves to lose their sync ability. Apple doesn't put fairy dust in their songs. There just files. The computer illiterate should stick with apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    anybody that depends on itunes deserves to lose their sync ability. Apple doesn't put fairy dust in their songs. There just files. The computer illiterate should stick with apple.
    I agree that there are better iTunes alternatives. I have bumped into other Pre owners that are livid that they can not use their videos purchased on iTunes with the Pre. (DRM)

Honestly, iTunes is not my choice either and use other methods. Its a shame that Palm could not find alternative syncing software or a developer to produce one for them to ship with the Pre. This would have been a better all around solution.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    they don't need a solution they already have several. Itunes is just free publicity and a place to start. But the pre syncs with media player, plus I keep my music in its own organized folders and throw it on there in usb mode. Just cause they keep poking at apple doesn't mean they are lacking a solution. They are smart enough to know their users will figure it out. I just consider itunes one more option, and a jab at the big contolling monster. Palm doesn't make us jailbreak, they just let us do what we want
    Oh boy, here we go again on the iTunes issue. First, I agree with Maven that Palm has to be careful how they advertise this since there are a lot of trigger happy lawyers out there and there's no guarantee that a year from now the Pre will be able to sync directly with iTunes.

That said, Palm might be ok from a legal perspective as long as they don't claim that the Pre can sync directly with iTunes. Just saying it syncs with iTunes is technically correct since a lot of third party software enable this today. This limits their legal exposure/damages (but might not prevent the lawsuits from happening anyway).

Now, can we get back to discussing the award?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast