webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > A few questions about the German Palm Pre
A few questions about the German Palm Pre
Like Tree1Likes

Old 10/24/2009, 07:19 AM   #101 (permalink)

My provider is tmobile in the Netherlands. Bought a Pre in Germany (unlocked). Did the pass activation screen trick by updating my Pre through WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor. Then activated the Pre through WiFi.

After that the data connection did not work. I changed the db3 file (thanks guys) and now 3G or (single) G is visible at the left of the signal strength. The single G apparently when 3G is to weak.
edit: 3G is only visible if there is no WiFi. The WiFi signal icon is displayed on the same spot. When WiFi comes on, its icon is displayed next to the 3G, after a short while it moves to the 3G spot.

I used the following settings and procedure, all on win XP
- unpacked (various levels of) the original German webOSdoctor.jar by using 7ZIP to be able to access the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3file
webosdoctorp100eww-wr\resources\webOS\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs\usr\lib\luna\CarrierNetworkSettings.db3

-downloaded and installed a SQLite Database Browser for win XP on Browse]Browse SQLite Database Browser Files on SourceForge.net SQLite Database Browser Files on SourceForge.net

-Opened the DB3 database in sqlite tool.

- Using the browse data tab of sqLite, displayed carrierNetworkSettings table and located tmobile NL (I looked for KPN, noted their MCC (country code,first col) and looked up all MCC's with that code and found my tmobile)

- toke note of the (Pre-) ID value for tmobile: a 13 digit number such as 2199023255831 around the 4 but last column of that record.

- searched for that same ID in the dataconnections table (again using the browse data tab)

- there were 2 entries, T-Zones GPRS and T-Mobile MMS. There was no pure GPRS for tmobile

- I used the T-zones entry and changed the following 4 entries by double clicking on the each value and don't forget apply change on each value
Field names: apn apnid cshnUserName cshnPassword
orig values: internet-act 359 tmo tmo (359 just for reference. no change)
into new value : internet 359 tmobile tmobile

I left 2 other fields as they were: supportedService serviceDefault values: 1 1
- saved the database
- transferred that file as explained in http://forums.precentral.net/1990055-post23.html (thanks Der Jens and thanks Jason Robitaille for the WebOS Quick Install tool: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html) and the 3G and data connection was there!

This also means that regionName entry in the DB did not matter in my case I left it alone, so it still says 'T-Zones GPRS'. I know from my treo 680 that this is a different service from 'pure' GPRS. The 650/680 could not use the zones one and also needed a 'pure' GPRS entry.

Last edited by Dick99999; 11/20/2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: 3G and WiFi icons added, clarified ID number
Dick99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tsotka likes this.
Thanked by henning70, kronos1, tsotka, Upke
Old 10/24/2009, 12:52 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweymonster View Post
Just to follow on from Dr3wster's post...

We've taken the list from the German Pre from the thread Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 USHere's and did some quick formatting and auto filtering action! Applying our theory above, we've split the APN settings into those with "hs_null" entries in username / password and those which do not, and have presume those with "hs_null" to be APNs for which an attempted connection would not be successful.

Please refer to the attached doc.

Could all you current GSM Pre owners do a massive favour to the Pre Community?
We need all current GSM Pre owners to just go through the attached doc, and check whether their current provider is listed in the "Theory - says invalid" ... if it is, please detail. It would helps us all go a long way to determining whether our theory is correct or utter nonsense!

Thanks heaps! Prospective GSM Pre Owners everywhere bow-down and thank u
I commute between 2 countries: Lebanon and Qatar. Libancell (Lebanon) carrier is listed in "invalid" simply because they are out of business. Qtel is listed in both "valid" and "not valid"!
yashor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2009, 01:54 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jens View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have a Pre yet so I can't try any of this myself. However, as we are talking about a database file it SHOULD be possible to just write whatever values you want to the database. I don't really see why anything would need to be recompiled.
Any volunteers?
Since the database rewrite now indeed seems to work (Thanks!), I wonder whether a fresh Pre can be modified in that way to get passed the activation screen in a foreign non-supported country. Remember on such a unit it's not possible to activate the dev mode the normal way.

Is the USB mode that one can activate during power on the same as the developers mode needed for updating the database? Or does that USB mode require a full flash sequence? If not, a "DB update only" would enable activation through a non-supported provider without flashing the unit.
Old 10/24/2009, 05:38 PM   #104 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
Since the database rewrite now indeed seems to work (Thanks!), I wonder whether a fresh Pre can be modified in that way to get passed the activation screen in a foreign non-supported country. Remember on such a unit it's not possible to activate the dev mode the normal way.
You're looking for the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, which does exactly that.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2009, 06:51 PM   #105 (permalink)

Can somebody tell me why you can edit the existing data so i works ( in the db file) But does not work when i add a new entry? ( missing carrier)
hotdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2009, 02:00 AM   #106 (permalink)

The carierNetworkSettings and the dataConnectionSettings subtables seem to be connected through an ID number (like 2199023255553, 2 but last col and first col)
Did you use that ID in the dataConnectionSettings?

BTW looking at the values for supprted and default service:
1 seems to be GPRS (and 3G)
2=WAP
4=MMS
Old 10/25/2009, 03:29 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
You're looking for the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, which does exactly that.

-- Rod
Well, eh.... that's exactly what I suggested to perhaps skip if the USB-screen devmode could be used to update the database only. I appreciate there are other advantages to use WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, yet it would be nice to only update the database of an non-activated Pre.
Old 10/25/2009, 03:58 AM   #108 (permalink)

Thanks for the answer

I have changed in the two tables.
What i did was taking a 3 carrirer for another contry, changed all the information the two tables to the settings for the dansih 3. And nothing happens! So dont know if it has something todo with APNID or someting.
I talked to support for 3 en Denmark MCC and MNC is used to identify what settings the "simcard" needs. But if that was the only thing needed in WebOS by changes should work? I dont get it...

Quote:
The carierNetworkSettings and the dataConnectionSettings subtables seem to be connected through an ID number (like 2199023255553, 2 but last col and first col)
Did you use that ID in the dataConnectionSettings?

BTW looking at the values for supprted and default service:
1 seems to be GPRS (and 3G)
2=WAP
4=MMS
Old 10/25/2009, 04:06 AM   #109 (permalink)

+1

how to get ID for my provider in my country (KYIVSTAR), unfortunately KYIVSTAR isn't inputed in to the carrierNS, but sim card woks fine (voice only).

thank you.
dubiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2009, 04:15 AM   #110 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Well, eh.... that's exactly what I suggested to perhaps skip if the USB-screen devmode could be used to update the database only. I appreciate there are other advantages to use WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor, yet it would be nice to only update the database of an non-activated Pre.
You said:

Quote:
I wonder whether a fresh Pre can be modified in that way to get passed the activation screen in a foreign non-supported country. Remember on such a unit it's not possible to activate the dev mode the normal way.
If it's a fresh Pre, and has not been past the activation screen, then what is the issue with using the Meta-Doctor? Since the Pre has not been past the activation screen, then it cannot have any data on it yet, so a wipe with the Doctor will not loose anything ...

If, however, you have been already able to get past the activation screen, and can enable developer mode, then you can use sqlite3 to edit the database directly.

So either you've got no data on the Pre to loose from re-running a modified webOS Doctor, or you're already past the activation screen ...

-- Rod
Old 10/25/2009, 04:21 AM   #111 (permalink)

I think that the APNID and other ID fields has nothing todo with the carrier. It must be a "palm id" because the numbers start with one. (like an identifyer for db) But the bad thing is that it must be used for something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiki View Post
+1

how to get ID for my provider in my country (KYIVSTAR), unfortunately KYIVSTAR isn't inputed in to the carrierNS, but sim card woks fine (voice only).

thank you.
Old 10/25/2009, 04:39 AM   #112 (permalink)

Is it possible to make a new row with new provider? If my sim-card woks fine (voice only) - does it mean that my operator are inputed into carrierNS ? p.s. thinking how to make it works for data. Or its better to wait for new update with official manual APN settings.

thank you
dubiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2009, 04:47 AM   #113 (permalink)

As i have said early my phone works fine with talk and dato does not. Thats why i have tryed to make a row with my carrier but witout any succes, so i think i is best to wait or to someone can figure out what todo. Because to supply the correct carrier information is not engough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiki View Post
Is it possible to make a new row with new provider? If my sim-card woks fine (voice only) - does it mean that my operator are inputed into carrierNS ? p.s. thinking how to make it works for data. Or its better to wait for new update with official manual APN settings.

thank you
Old 10/25/2009, 12:57 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
My provider is tmobile in the Netherlands. Bought a Pre in Germany (unlocked). Did the pass activation screen trick by updating my Pre through WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor. Then activated the Pre through WiFi.

After that the data connection did not work. I changed the db3 file (thanks guys) and now 3G or (single) G is visible at the left of the signal strength. The single G apparently when 3G is to weak.
edit: 3G is only visible if there is no WiFi. The WiFi signal icon is displayed on the same spot. When WiFi comes on, its icon is displayed next to the 3G, after a short while it moves to the 3G spot.

I used the following settings and procedure, all on win XP
- unpacked (various levels of) the original German webOSdoctor.jar by using 7ZIP to be able to access the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3file
webosdoctorp100eww-wr\resources\webOS\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs\usr\lib\luna\CarrierNetworkSettings.db3

-Opened the DB3 database in sqlite tool.

- Using the browse data tab of sqLite, displayed carrierNetworkSettings table and located tmobile NL (I looked for KPN, noted their MCC (country code,first col) and looked up all MCC's with that code and found my tmobile)

- toke note of the ID value of tmobile (almost at the end of the record)

- searched for that same ID in the dataconnections table (again using the browse data tab)

- there were 2 entries, T-Zones GPRS and T-Mobile MMS. There was no pure GPRS for tmobile

- I used the T-zones entry and changed the following 4 entries by double clicking on the each value and don't forget apply change on each value
Field names: apn apnid cshnUserName cshnPassword
orig values: internet-act 359 tmo tmo (359 just for reference. no change)
into new value : internet 359 tmobile tmobile

I left 2 other fields as they were: supportedService serviceDefault values: 1 1
- saved the database
- transferred that file as explained in ....

This also means that regionName entry in the DB did not matter in my case I left it alone, so it still says 'T-Zones GPRS'. I know from my treo 680 that this is a different service from 'pure' GPRS. The 650/680 could not use the zones one and also needed a 'pure' GPRS entry.
Excellent...just modified my db3 file for T-Mobile NL and 3G/GPRS works.

thanks man

-- Palm Pre rocks
henning70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2009, 05:45 AM   #115 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I don't have a Pre (yet) but the following should automate updating all the hs_null values to empty without having to go to too much effort.

Root to your Pre and run the following 5 lines. (The first line backs up your database to be on the safe side)

cp /usr/lib/luna/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 /usr/lib/luna/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3.backup

sqlite3 /usr/lib/luna/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3

UPDATE com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings set cshnPassword = '' where cshnPassword = 'hs_null';

UPDATE com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings set cshnUserName = '' where cshnUserName = 'hs_null';

.quit

Let me know how it goes.
Greg
greg_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2009, 05:28 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henning70 View Post
Excellent...just modified my db3 file for T-Mobile NL and 3G/GPRS works.

thanks man

-- Palm Pre rocks
Is there a way for you to send me the file so I can update it? I've been looking into updating/fixing the APN settings but I have only a vague idea of what to do. Still waiting for my Pre, but want to get ready for it when it arrives.
Upke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2009, 06:02 PM   #117 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upke View Post
Is there a way for you to send me the file so I can update it? I've been looking into updating/fixing the APN settings but I have only a vague idea of what to do. Still waiting for my Pre, but want to get ready for it when it arrives.
All files on the Pre can be extracted from the webOS Doctor. They are proprietary copyrighted files, so should not be redistributed. Luckily, they don't need to be, cause anyone can get them themselves from unpacking the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
Old 11/03/2009, 02:56 PM   #118 (permalink)

Hey there,

Using a German Pr on T-Mobile Netherlands, thanks to WebDoctor eveything is working fine exept data connection :-(. I followed the same steps than the other but my Pr don't show any 3G connectivity anywhere, tried different APN setting found on the internet for T-Mobile Netherlands (strangly it is not always the same on each website).

Strangly also, the original data in my file in my Palm Pr (and the version of WebOSDoctor that I have; world ready) are not the same than Dick99999. I have the apnid 133 and by default internet2.voicestream.com and hs_null...

I am a bit desperate to get the 3G working . It's nice with wifi but I would love to use Shoutcast and Google Map outside of my home or my office !

Something strange maybe linked... My phone always tell me when it boots that he can't find the time on the network (and ask if I want to change it myself). You too?

Any ideas how to solve this problem?
Cely_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 05:29 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakis View Post
the problem is, that without an active data connection you can't even activate the phone.
Hi Peter, do I need a German 02 wireless connection to activate my Pre or is just a 02 SIM sufficient? Or do I need both?

I bought a second hand Palm Pre from someone who got it from an importer who gets them from my neighbouring country Germany. After one evening playing with the Pre he gave up, apparently it was too difficult to get the data working.

After I bought it from him it worked nicely, with my Vodafone NL in it (except for data). But then I decided to wipe the thing to get rid of his profile. But now I am stuck at the screen:

Quote:
Profile Creation Failed
You need to be connected to your wireless service provider's network to create the profile. Move into a wireless service area and try again.
What are my options?
Old 11/11/2009, 05:31 PM   #120 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinder.rustema View Post
What are my options?
Have you tried the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor?

-- Rod

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0