My provider is tmobile in the Netherlands. Bought a Pre in Germany (unlocked). Did the pass activation screen trick by updating my Pre through WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor. Then activated the Pre through WiFi.
After that the data connection did not work. I changed the db3 file (thanks guys) and now 3G or (single) G is visible at the left of the signal strength. The single G apparently when 3G is to weak.
edit: 3G is only visible if there is no WiFi. The WiFi signal icon is displayed on the same spot. When WiFi comes on, its icon is displayed next to the 3G, after a short while it moves to the 3G spot.
I used the following settings and procedure, all on win XP
- unpacked (various levels of) the original German webOSdoctor.jar by using 7ZIP to be able to access the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3file
-downloaded and installed a SQLite Database Browser for win XP on Browse]Browse SQLite Database Browser Files on SourceForge.net SQLite Database Browser Files on SourceForge.net
-Opened the DB3 database in sqlite tool.
- Using the browse data tab of sqLite, displayed carrierNetworkSettings table and located tmobile NL (I looked for KPN, noted their MCC (country code,first col) and looked up all MCC's with that code and found my tmobile)
- toke note of the (Pre-) ID value for tmobile: a 13 digit number such as 2199023255831 around the 4 but last column of that record.
- searched for that same ID in the dataconnections table (again using the browse data tab)
- there were 2 entries, T-Zones GPRS and T-Mobile MMS. There was no pure GPRS for tmobile
- I used the T-zones entry and changed the following 4 entries by double clicking on the each value and don't forget apply change on each value
Field names: apn apnid cshnUserName cshnPassword
orig values: internet-act 359 tmo tmo (359 just for reference. no change)
into new value : internet 359 tmobile tmobile
I left 2 other fields as they were: supportedService serviceDefault values: 1 1
- saved the database
- transferred that file as explained in http://forums.precentral.net/1990055-post23.html (thanks Der Jens and thanks Jason Robitaille for the WebOS Quick Install tool: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html) and the 3G and data connection was there!
This also means that regionName entry in the DB did not matter in my case I left it alone, so it still says 'T-Zones GPRS'. I know from my treo 680 that this is a different service from 'pure' GPRS. The 650/680 could not use the zones one and also needed a 'pure' GPRS entry.