Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Hello,
    i'm a future pre owner, but i'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with French sim cards? From Orange that is? would it work if just bought a german Pre and inserted my sim card in it?
    thanks in advance!
    @DeKey:
    the question is which Tele-Provider in France are you going to use for ur pre?

some SIM-Cards are supported to active your pre and then it does work with all the function, telefon, sms, gprs and so on, but not all of the sim-cards.

so if ur SIM-Card can't active your pre (because the provider doesn't support the Data-Transfer via gprs), then you need another one, for example O2... ...

but, once you have actived your pre, you can still use your old SIM-Card. for telefon, sms and voice ist OK, but not for Internet and MMS via gprs.

the problem now is: apn can't be manual edited.
    does anyone knows if it will work on the Belgian network Mobistar

Thx in advance!
    i'm not that technical as you guy's, but a really want muy pre fast!
    I hoop it will be easy so i can try it myself - or let it done by some professionals...
    i'm currently on an Orange contract, do you think it's supported?

I'm currently using an iphone 1st gen and have been waiting for the pre since i've heard of it, never upgraded to 3g or 3gs for that matter

seeing as my contract is very old, i think i can change without too much hassle provider/contract, so if Orange doesn't work i might get another subscription at SFR or Bouygues.

at least one of those should work completely right?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    So I took the risk, I just ordered a German Pre. Now fingers crossed whether it will work on Dutch KPN network.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    BTW Can the mods move this thread to the Pre GSM forum?
    @spud
    did you order it online? what website?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    palm and more; Palm,Smartphone,HTC,Samsung,windows mobile,pda,netbook (no creditcard payments though)

Here are some more shops: Shops wo das Palm Pre zu haben ist - Palm Pre Forum

There was one shop cheaper, but they had longer delevery times, and I'm rather impatient

Not all ship outside of Germany.
    thanks i'll check it out
    Quote Originally Posted by huub View Post
    does anyone knows if it will work on the Belgian network Mobistar

Thx in advance!
    i'm not that technical as you guy's, but a really want muy pre fast!
    I hoop it will be easy so i can try it myself - or let it done by some professionals...
    can't say for the German models but the Irish ones definitely do not work (yet!) with a mobistar sim
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    The Irish doesn't work because of the SIM lock. That's got nothing to do with the GPRS settings.

BTW it also is available at amazon.de now (the German Pre I mean)
    Last edited by spud101; 10/19/2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Strangely, Vodafone IN (Vodafone India) is listed in both, 'Apparently Valid' & 'Theory - says invalid'. What's with that?
    T-Mobile Hungary does not work either. It has a hs_null password in the database listing. Sooo, I'd be interested to see how to edit the settings.
    Hello all

I got the Swisscom SIM card to work with the pre - all data now working perfectly! As I cannot post an image proof due to not having posted enough yet on this forum, I'll be happy to mail you the screen capture if interested.

The procedure to get this working was quite simple, thanks to the post titled "Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 US" and the suggestions of Der Jens.

The issue lies with the service setting for the internet APN. The service value needs to be 1 (as for all APNs for data/internet access) and not 2 as in the factory database. After a reboot you have data access.

Many thanks.
    Wow are you saying that it can work with all APN? And what are the instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by testrev View Post
    Hello all

I got the Swisscom SIM card to work with the pre - all data now working perfectly! As I cannot post an image proof due to not having posted enough yet on this forum, I'll be happy to mail you the screen capture if interested.

The procedure to get this working was quite simple, thanks to the post titled "Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 US" and the suggestions of Der Jens.

The issue lies with the service setting for the internet APN. The service value needs to be 1 (as for all APNs for data/internet access) and not 2 as in the factory database. After a reboot you have data access.

Many thanks.
    He is probably talking about the instructions on how to replace the datbase file:
    http://forums.precentral.net/1990055-post23.html
    Quote Originally Posted by testrev View Post
    Hello all

Many thanks.
    So, you are talking about the ""SupportedService" and "ServiceDefault" columns, right? That's good to know ...

Another problem might be with the carriers that don't even display the 3G symbol although they should.
    Maybe (and your success gives me hope) that can b fixed as suggested by myself here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post1990055

I would really love to hear from an AT&T customer as I will be using an AT&T GoPhone Sim in New York over Christmas/New Years and would love to be able to use 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Jens View Post
    So, you are talking about the ""SupportedService" and "ServiceDefault" columns, right? That's good to know ...
    I can confirm that this indeed works very well ! I have a German Pre with a Swisscom sim card.

After having downloaded the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 on my Mac, I updated the SupportedService and ServiceDefault to 1 using the following query (use at your own risk):
    update com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings set supportedService=1,servicedefault=1 where apn = 'gprs.swisscom.ch';

I then simply copied back the modified database, rebooted the Pre, and that's it.

I now have a fully functional Pre with data connection over Swisscom, really nice . Many thanks to all on this forum who managed to find the solution !

Cheers.
    Great!
    So, did you have 3G connectivity before you applied the patch i.e. did the 3G symbol show?
    Well, I'm not sure about that, sorry. I didn't really pay attention, I just got my Pre yesterday morning and kept using my old phone till I figured out a way to get the data working (first, I even had to activate the phone using a Sunrise sim card from a friend).
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast