Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irifan View Post
    MMS sending and receiving works perfectly all right wth a german pre 1.1.3 and o2 SIM.
    Same here with 1.2.1. Data and MMS working fine with o2 Germany..
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks for your replies guys

When I saw your replies my heart sank

... but... the good news is I went back to that list that Loweymonster uploaded and stared intently at it.. I think I was partially wrong before.

Whether O2 MMS works or not, won't be the definitive test, because in the list, O2 DE's APN for GPRS and MMS are the same!!!!!!

Both have:
    • mmscUrl of http://10.81.0.7:8002
    • wapgateway of 82.113.100.5 and most importantly,
    • both MMS and GPRS have APN of internet.

I check XDA-Developers to ensure that the MMS settings were in fact as I described just now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=224915

So it was my bad before for saying that would be the definitive test..

Good news, is we're still on-track with the theory! Please keep the replies rolling in, we could be on to something!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    Interestingly, the German Doctor detected and reflashed the CDMA modem correctly.
    From where you got the german doctor, i looked for it, but neither palm nor o2 providing it directly
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    Unfortunately, my carrier Hutchison Australia does not have access to the "3services" APN based on this theory ... it does however, have net access (which is the data service anyways). But in my past experience in setting up access via Treos, the settings listed for the “3services” APN are otherwise correct ... all that needs to be done is to delete the "hs_null" username and password from the database file and recompile, and then flash the phone... might need to ask Rod Whitby bout how to do that
    Unfortunately, I don't have a Pre yet so I can't try any of this myself. However, as we are talking about a database file it SHOULD be possible to just write whatever values you want to the database. I don't really see why anything would need to be recompiled.
    Not sure if the database would need to be "unmounted" first, i.e. the Pre should not be using it when you are trying to replace it.
    Maybe someone is willing to try this out? After all, you could always reflash the device and nothin would break, right?
    It would be best if someone with a non-working carrier that is in the list would send me the database file and the correct APN settings. I (or whoever knows how to edit a SQLlite database) could then make the changes and send the files back for the sender to replace the one on the device.
    Any volunteers?
    Thanks Der Jens! I might just take you up on your offer for an edit of the SQLite Database. I would use a text editor / Excel to modify the settings, but I'm not too sure if that would be wise.. I've placed my order for a German Pre (finally convinced myself to do it - especially after resigning to the fact that the Pre won't be in Australia for ages) ..

I'll let you all know how I go with using the German Pre in Aus... "Der Jens" hold that thought on the offer to edit the carrier settings!!!
    Will do.
    And you are right in assuming that using a text editor or Excel to edit the settings wouldn't be too smart .
    Btw, another test idea would be to take a WORKING provider setting and change the user, pass or APN on that just to see if the info is pulled from the database at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Jens View Post
    Will do.
    And you are right in assuming that using a text editor or Excel to edit the settings wouldn't be too smart .
    Btw, another test idea would be to take a WORKING provider setting and change the user, pass or APN on that just to see if the info is pulled from the database at all.
    Awesome!! That's a brilliant idea Der Jens!

Problem is though... anyone willing to sacrifice a perfectly working Pre in the name of science? I'm sure the risk levels are low... but still..

so, any takers??!! Dakis?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    guys i just got my pre today, i live in Dubai my carrrier is called etisalat, i put the sim in the device turn it, while it was still on 1.1.2 it automatically took my settings the 3g sign was there, i created a palm profile, download 1.1.3 over wifi and everything is fine. before i got the device i already did the meta-doctor thing that rod created and readied it for the device but i didnt need it
    and actually i really think that whatever sim card you put in this device it shall work
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    guys i just got my pre today, i live in Dubai my carrrier is called etisalat, i put the sim in the device turn it, while it was still on 1.1.2 it automatically took my settings the 3g sign was there, i created a palm profile, download 1.1.3 over wifi and everything is fine. before i got the device i already did the meta-doctor thing that rod created and readied it for the device but i didnt need it
    and actually i really think that whatever sim card you put in this device it shall work
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks for your replies guys. Keep it coming in...

Checked Etisalat and yep, its settings are in the DB and don't have "hs_null" .. so based on this, the theory is still looking very good! I'll be able to confirm once I get hold of this phone myself and can test it in Aus.

Please keep your feedback rolling on so we can continue testing the theory..

Cheers
    I guess for some of the carriers the "hs_null" should not be a problem as the user/password combination doesn't really matter. At least that is the case for some German providers, they take anything as long as the APN is correct.
    jens is right, in the list, the china mobile is ,,hs_null'' by user/password.

but, in china, if u want to use iphone (for example), the user/password are just the same as the apn "cmnet''. so i guess, pre might be the same by some carriers
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Judging from the list a KPN SIM would work. Just to verify your theory suggests the phone will work even with empty values of username/password, right?

So I might take the risk and order one this week...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    So the theory goes... to date, I think the theory has been verified, but this is only using a handful of user experiences.

It is up to you if you want to take the risk .. please don't take the theory / modified list as being your bible.. it is just a theory!

Having said that, I myself am applying this theory, and taking the plunge. Have just ordered my German Pre and hopefully should have it by the end of next week Will let you all know!!

Hopefully I'm right! Otherwise I'll have a very posh paperweight!

@sakurarain ... my carrier doesn't use username / password, so its settings are represented in the list by blanks..

The thing that I'm not too sure about (and this is what der jens is pointing to) ... what happens if your carrier doesn't care about username and password, and the username and password is listed as "hs_null" ... Der Jens thinks that it will ignore the two fields altogether and connect as per normal.. But I dunno ... I suspect that it might generate some sort of error :S

... imagine logging onto a computer with a username and password where both should be blank... if you then go to type in something and click login, will it not generate an error?? For our sake I hope not!
    Thank you for your list. However, you have Swisscom listed as supposedly valid (with gprs.swisscom.ch as APN), however, it does not work. So your theory doesn't seem to work quite yet.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It's indeed a bit vague. Swisscom does list one entry with hs_null. But then again German O2 does as well for the MMS settings???
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks for you feedback testrev. It's a good point

I looked into it further, and decided to try search the web for the actual APN settings for Swisscom (Carrier APN Settings - ModMyi - Wiki).

Comparing this information to the amended list shows the following:
    • APN Address for GPRS is correct (being gprs.swisscom.ch)
    • Password for GPRS is NOT correct (supposed to be "gprs", whereas the WebOS Extracted Database shows blank)
    • MMS settings are all correct

Can someone with Swisscom as a telco confirm that you need the password "gprs" in order to access the APN? It should be visible in your phone settings (whatever 3G phone you have)..

SO, I guess the real test now, is for the people who bought a German Pre and are on "Swisscom", would you be willing to do an experiment??

I propose the following:
    Be really really nice to Der Jens and ask that he/she do you a favor in modifying the Database File for the correct GPRS settings (insert "gprs" as the password for the GPRS APN). Incidentally, Der Jens, if you are requested to modify these settings, could you also please amend the settings for "Hutchison Australia"?? The "3services" APN should have blank username and password. Not "hs_null" junk!!
    After the DB has been modified, ask one of WebInternals crew how to copy this modified file into WebOS Doctor (i suspect you just drag and drop - I could be wrong)
    Now flash your phone and pray that it works

What's the worst that could happen? Your phone doesn't connect now as it is, and also, you can always recover using the Official WebOS Doctor
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    It's indeed a bit vague. Swisscom does list one entry with hs_null. But then again German O2 does as well for the MMS settings???

Yeah it does seem a bit strange that the database may have a number of settings for the same carrier, with one set featuring the "hs_null". However, as irifan mentioned above, O2's MMS is working properly. I think the saving grace for O2 was that both their MMS and GRPS APN settings seem to be the same. But, this too, does not make sense, because Carrier APN Settings - ModMyi - Wiki clearly lists the APN for GPRS as being wap.viaginterkorn.de or surfo2. Very confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    Incidentally, Der Jens, if you are requested to modify these settings, could you also please amend the settings for "Hutchison Australia"?? The "3services" APN should have blank username and password. Not "hs_null" junk!!
    After the DB has been modified, ask one of WebInternals crew how to copy this modified file into WebOS Doctor (i suspect you just drag and drop - I could be wrong)
    Now flash your phone and pray that it works

What's the worst that could happen? Your phone doesn't connect now as it is, and also, you can always recover using the Official WebOS Doctor
    and Der Jens could you also please amend the 'Telstra' (Australia) to blank as well? Should be empty. If you can do that it would be great!!
    Telstra is listed twice on the speadsheet and currently has a "hs_null" value.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Hey again everyone, just got an e-mail from Expansys in the UK.

They have confirmed that they put a Vodafone UK Sim into the German Palm Pre, and it worked flawlessly ... Just thought I'd let you all know
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast