Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brasax View Post
    The link was already postet on the first site..

@ loweymonster

How to get access to the table? I´m using now the US-firmware and want to check, if other APNs are in the list. o2 Germany is working fine, but I need to know, if Orange (Swiss) is on the list..
    I'm using my Pre with a Swiss Orange SIM card and it works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    I'm using my Pre with a Swiss Orange SIM card and it works like a charm.
    US-firmware? Or the german one?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Jens View Post
    Orange CH is on the list for the Sprint 1.21 ROM.
    The Internet APN is "internet" (without the quotes) wih no user/password.

Swisscom is on there as well. There is one MMS, one VPN and one WEB APN.
    The WEB APN is gprs.swissom.ch with no user/password. Does this make sense?
    yes, that makes sense and is correct. Just a pity that we're still stuck on 1.1.x for the O2 Pres :-/ Anyway, even 1.1.x works with Orange - but not with Swisscom.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brasax View Post
    US-firmware? Or the german one?
    I have a GSM Pre from Germany with 1.1.3 firmware (Euro).
    Orange CH is on the list for the Sprint 1.21 ROM.
    The Internet APN is "internet" (without the quotes) wih no user/password.
    As I said before, Orange CH is on the list for the US firmware.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    As I said before, Orange CH is on the list for the US firmware.
    Thanks.. Sorry, didn´t see you mentioned 1.2.1
    yes, that makes sense and is correct. Just a pity that we're still stuck on 1.1.x for the O2 Pres :-/ Anyway, even 1.1.x works with Orange - but not with Swisscom.
    Well, you could always update to 1.21 on your German Pre, you know ...

I wonder what happens if you have e.g. an AT&T GoPhone card. AT&T is in the list 10 times, however, the APN settings are similar/identical across all the entries.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Well, you could always update to 1.21 on your German Pre, you know ...
    yeah, I probably will do that eventually, if Palm doesn't push 1.2 or 1.3 in the near future. For now I'll just use my Orange SIM. I won't be able to cancel that subscription until next summer anyway (had to get a Swisscom subscription after I moved because Orange doesn't offer 3G or EDGE in my new area...)
    yeah, I probably will do that eventually, if Palm doesn't push 1.2 or 1.3 in the near future. For now I'll just use my Orange SIM. I won't be able to cancel that subscription until next summer anyway (had to get a Swisscom subscription after I moved because Orange doesn't offer 3G or EDGE in my new area...)
    Don't get your hopes for your Swisscom SIM up too high, though.
    The APN settings fr Swisscom onGerman 1.13 and and US 1.21 are identical it seems.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Don't get your hopes for your Swisscom SIM up too high, though.
    The APN settings fr Swisscom onGerman 1.13 and and US 1.21 are identical it seems.
    Apparently it's not a list issue but an actual bug in WebOS that prevents it from correctly identifying some networks. That might be fixed in 1.2 - or 1.3 (looks like they might skip 1.2 for the European Palms altogether)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    So, is it somehow possible to read out what list is on the device itself?

Ive seen that most of my local carriers are in that list that was published but is it the same database file that is on the german pre's or not?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    So i can update/flash (whatever) my Pre to 1.2.1 in Germany with a o2 contract without problems with GSM/UMTS/GRPS/EDGE/WiFi/GPS?
    If this is possible, i can use all Patches for WebOs with no errors
    Last edited by rondera; 10/17/2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Thanks for all your replies.

Again, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I have done a search and it showed nothing..

I did a bit more digging in the files (spurred on by DrewPre's post on forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/209992-c-mon-you-pre-guru-s-give-me-hand.html), and stumbled across the following keymap related files / directories:

1) /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/191.15/resources - This directory seems to house the alternate characters and that available on the Pre's keyboard, depending on locale settings. Inside each file, it lists a keycode.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you simply switch either the keycode or the letter for "z" and "y" around that should help us overcome the QWERTZ issue? Doesn't the keycode represent a unique code that helps the OS distinguish what key is pressed and therefore what character to return on-screen?

2) "keycodes.jsjsjs&$quot$; - $located$ $in$ /$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$mojo$/$submissions$/$191$.$15$/$javascripts$ $seems$ $to$ $list$ $all$ $keys$ $available$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$ $keyboard$, $and$ $then$ $assigns$ $a$ $unique$ $code$. $Could$ $we$ $edit$ $this$ $file$ $too$ $and$ $swap$ $the$ $z$ $and$ $y$ $around$?

My only concern with these above two, are that they are listed under the "mojo" directory, which might suggest they are more for developer use than being the main location of settings for keymapping.

3) "liblunakeymaps.so" - located in /usr/lib/ - now this definitely looks to be the master file for keymap settings that we can adjust. I'm going to leave this one here, because I know we're not supposed to discuss doing things to this type of file

4) hmmm, there was a file that I found somewhere in the source that allowed listed the locale settings, but I can't seem to find it now (I'm only a noob developer!!).. I'll post again if I find it.

If I have a Pre hooked up to the computer though, would we able to see all these directories "/root, /bin, /usr" etc? or are these all hidden and is it up to the Preware to help us modify?

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by rondera View Post
    So i can update/flash (whatever) my Pre to 1.2.1 in Germany with a o2 contract without problems with GSM/UMTS/GRPS/EDGE/WiFi/GPS?
    If this is possible, i can use all Patches for WebOs with no errors
    I have not tried this myself, but a friend did about a week ago. He has not reported any problems. The virtual keyboard is working, and that´s a patch that is refusing cooperation with 1.1.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by irifan View Post
    I have not tried this myself, but a friend did about a week ago. He has not reported any problems. The virtual keyboard is working, and that´s a patch that is refusing cooperation with 1.1.3.
    And when it fails, can i downgrade it to 1.1.3 again without problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by rondera View Post
    And when it fails, can i downgrade it to 1.1.3 again without problems?
    The German 1.1.3 Rom is available at:

Palm – palm.com/rom

a few clicks further need to enter the erial numer of your device:
    https://ws.palm.com/SupportDownload/...47&cc=de&lc=de
    Ok Thanks, i will try it
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Hey Crew!

Thanks again for everyone’s replies…

Like Loweymonster has said and freakout has also said (in another thread), the settings for most of the Australian Telco Providers seem to be accurate.. but there's no guarantee that this means the Pre will work in the Land Down Under. Freakout especially, has pointed out that a few people have reported difficulty getting a connection, even though they use carriers on the list (Thread: Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 US)

I have a little theory.

Oh sorry, my cousin (Loweymonster) and I have a theory .. we reckon that in reference to the list … where there are entries "hs_null" in the username / password of the APN settings, the phone won't connect properly.

I think either the settings were botched when entered / have become corrupted, or Palm is trying to control rollout of GSM (a simplistic form of network locking). I just fail to believe that “hs_null” could be interpeted by an APN as being a valid username / password, given that “hs_null” is generally a system error response that is returned. If there is no username or password, “null” or a blank is usually acceptable. I reckon if you try to connect using “hs_null”, the APN will block you.

Some supporting info!
    If u have a look in the "carriers_113.xls" list in the abovementioned thread, a telco that users reported issues with was "Telia". It's in the list, but has "hs_null" in username / password of the important .. internet APN settings. I suspect that the phone sees it as invalid, freaks out and doesn’t try to connect.. either that or the APN rejects it (as stated above).

The true test of this theory is to ask O2 users ... do they have MMS capabilities yet? If you look at this Excel doc.. There are internet and MMS settings for O2 DE, but the O2 MMS settings have the "hs_null" listed as the username and password.

O2 Germany (O2 Deutschland) users from Germany. Can you guys confirm whether you currently have MMS access?

SO based on this, we can deduce that the following Aus carriers should work with the Pre out of the box:
    • Virgin Mobile
    • Vodafone (only internet access, no MMS)
    • Hutchison (limited to internet access)

Unfortunately, my carrier Hutchison Australia does not have access to the "3services" APN based on this theory ... it does however, have net access (which is the data service anyways). But in my past experience in setting up access via Treos, the settings listed for the “3services” APN are otherwise correct ... all that needs to be done is to delete the "hs_null" username and password from the database file and recompile, and then flash the phone... might need to ask Rod Whitby bout how to do that

Anyways, to cut a long post short... if we can establish whether O2 users in Germany currently have MMS capabilities, we can then assume Loweymonster and my theory is correct, and thus, we can get a much better idea of which phone carriers will be supported out of the box, and those which will need some tweaking first..

Man this getting hands on a Pre thing is giving me a headache… Palm are bloody good at teasing!!

Thoughts?
    Just to follow on from Dr3wster's post...

We've taken the list from the German Pre from the thread Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 USHere's and did some quick formatting and auto filtering action! Applying our theory above, we've split the APN settings into those with "hs_null" entries in username / password and those which do not, and have presume those with "hs_null" to be APNs for which an attempted connection would not be successful.

Please refer to the attached doc.

Could all you current GSM Pre owners do a massive favour to the Pre Community?
    We need all current GSM Pre owners to just go through the attached doc, and check whether their current provider is listed in the "Theory - says invalid" ... if it is, please detail. It would helps us all go a long way to determining whether our theory is correct or utter nonsense!

Thanks heaps! Prospective GSM Pre Owners everywhere bow-down and thank u
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    Hey Crew!

Thanks again for everyone’s replies…

The true test of this theory is to ask O2 users ... do they have MMS capabilities yet? If you look at this Excel doc.. There are internet and MMS settings for O2 DE, but the O2 MMS settings have the "hs_null" listed as the username and password.

O2 Germany (O2 Deutschland) users from Germany. Can you guys confirm whether you currently have MMS access?
    MMS sending and receiving works perfectly all right wth a german pre 1.1.3 and o2 SIM.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast