Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got the Pre for only one and a half week. I didn't install any tweek or patches, just the original phone, with gentle use.

I don't want to talk about the Oreo twist of my Pre coz many other people have it, too and it may not be an issue.

Since yesterday, my Pre started having a new problem.

When I try to unlock the phone, there is no pin pad showing up on the phone. It happened a few times yesterday, and today now, it's completely happens all the time. I tried to unlock the phone for 20 times in a row, and not one time the pin pad showing up.

I don't know if other people have this problem, but this is extremely annoying.

Also, sometimes when I dial a number to call using the dial pad, the dial pad sometimes reacts very slowly(a few seconds), it made me feel that I didn't touch that number, so I had to touch it again, but suddenly, it shows I touched it twice. It's so annoying.

And the Pre froze twice within a week and a half, I had to remove the battery to restart it, grrrrr..

I will see if it keeps acting like this, I will have to return it and maybe get another phone. I like so many things about Pre, but it keeps disappointing me...
    Last edited by bikini; 10/13/2009 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    I got the Pre for only one and a half week. I didn't install any tweek or patches, just the original phone, with gentle use.

I don't want to talk about the Oreo twist of my Pre coz many other people have it, too and it may not be an issue.

Since yesterday, my Pre started having a new problem.

When I try to unlock the phone, there is no pin pad showing up on the phone. It happened a few times yesterday, and today now, it's completely happens all the time. I tried to unlock the phone for 20 times in a row, and not one time the pin pad showing up.

I don't know if other people have this problem, but this is extremely annoying.

Also, sometimes when I dial a number to call using the dial pad, the dial pad sometimes reacts very slowly(a few seconds), it made me feel that I didn't touch that number, so I had to touch it again, but suddenly, it shows I touched it twice. It's so annoying.

I will see if it keeps acting like this, I will have to return it and maybe get another phone. I like so many things about Pre, but it keeps disappointing me...
    If I were you, I'd webOS doctor it before attempting to return it. That might fix your issues.
    Is WebOS doctor an authorized Palm application. Doing something like that to a new phone within the 30 return may cause some issues.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Is WebOS doctor an authorized Palm application. Doing something like that to a new phone within the 30 return may cause some issues.

You can download it from Palm's website (after putting in your device's serial number). That's pretty official...
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post

Yes, it's authorized. Also, don't be afraid to homebrew or tweak, first of all the people in the Sprint store don't seem to know anything about it, second of all, unless it's the actual cause of a hardware malfunction, it will not void your warranty. That's what the WebOS Doctor is for. Go here:

Palm - Download webOS™ Doctor

Go through all that, and it'll have you download the WebOS doctor once it knows you have Java 1.6. When you get the Dr. downloaded, it will run and ask you to plug in your phone. What you have to do is turn the phone off(with the USB cable unplugged). After it shuts down, hold the volume up button, and plug in the USB cable. You'll get a USB emblem on your Pre's screen, and the WebOS Dr can now do it's thing and replace the OS on your phone. This will reset it to factory defaults, with whatever the current OS is(assuming the WebOS Dr is version 1.2.1). It takes roughly half an hour, and you'll have to resign into your Palm Profile.
  6.    #6  
    "This will reset it to factory defaults"? What about my contacts and all the files/apps on the phone?

Why should I restore the Pre since I didn't do anything and just used it for more than a week? And had to remove battery twice to restart it? I never experienced this with any other phones!
    "This will reset it to factory defaults"? What about my contacts and all the files/apps on the phone?

Why should I restore the Pre since I didn't do anything and just used it for more than a week? And had to remove battery twice to restart it? I never experienced this with any other phones!
    Bad luck.

I have never experienced anything your saying about your pre on mine, and I have experienced it on other phones. 3 months in, and loving every moment.

You're right. Take it back. Please.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Helpful.

Take it back and get a replacement if you want, you probably won't get another Oreo phone. Also they will attempt to webOS doctor it themselves to try and fix it.

The only thing that isn't backed up by your palm profile is stuff you've put in your media storage. Some settings throughout your phone you will need to redo, but that's about it.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.

When you're trying to unlock your phone, is it asking you to put in your pin, but not having the numbers on the screen, or is it just the circular "button" that you have to drag across to unlock? Maybe you didn't set the option to unlock using a PIN? That's the only thing I can conclude from this thread.

Also, removing the battery to restart it can potentially cause damage to files, hence why I feel you should restore it. Your contacts are backed up by Palm, and your installed apps will automatically be redownloaded. Back up any files you have on the phone to a PC and you're set.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    take it back and get another - makes no sense to play with it (doc this, try that) - it is a new phone that hasn't been tinkered with. Let sprint give you a new phone & they can fix your old.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    take it back and get another - makes no sense to play with it (doc this, try that) - it is a new phone that hasn't been tinkered with. Let sprint give you a new phone & they can fix your old.
    It's a lot easier to web doctor it, considering it sounds like software issues.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    LOL...nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by garylee23 View Post
    LOL...nice...
    Exactly. What was this guy thinking?! A new pre owner with an problem and going to the interweb for help and expecting it HERE?!

Palm must really like guys like garylee helping newbies... Right back to the return line.

Get a thicker skin folks and get use to helping newbies cause that's who palm is targeting with the PIXI... Newbies that need a little more patience than some of u seasoned pros.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Exactly. What was this guy thinking?! A new pre owner with an problem and going to the interweb for help and expecting it HERE?!

Palm must really like guys like garylee helping newbies... Right back to the return line.

Get a thicker skin folks and get use to helping newbies cause that's who palm is targeting with the PIXI... Newbies that need a little more patience than some of u seasoned pros.
    Conversely, you might have to get used to people commenting like that. The more people who own Pre's/Pixi's, the more members here, the harder it is to moderate. It's a vicious cycle.
    to OP if the phone freezes on you every now and then its normal, computers do it, game consoles, and sadly even smart phones. if the pre freezes every day or all the time then you do have an issue. but normally everything in life freezes once, even pre's. now for the pin pad not showing up there is probably a glitch some where on the pre and resetting it to factory default will maybe clear this glitch out where it will ask u all the time for a pin.

Now heres a tip from me to you. If you lock the phone then quickly unlock it the phone will not be locked, so basically if you use the power button to turn off the screen then again to turn it back on(quickly) then the phone may have not locked. so lock it then wait a couple of mins then see if it locked
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    to OP if the phone freezes on you every now and then its normal, computers do it, game consoles, and sadly even smart phones. if the pre freezes every day or all the time then you do have an issue. but normally everything in life freezes once, even pre's. now for the pin pad not showing up there is probably a glitch some where on the pre and resetting it to factory default will maybe clear this glitch out where it will ask u all the time for a pin.
    Honestly, I don't think this is normal. Yes, my computer tends to freeze a second or two when doing cpu intensive stuff. But it mostly just works a little slower. I have the feeling webOS 1.2 freezes more than previous releases. And longer.

In webOS 1.1 the browser used to be unresponsive for several seconds when scrolling. Really annoying. It happens when scrolling the mobile twitter page (low memory) only, without any other windows open. This hasn't been fixed since.

But in 1.2 there are even more freezes. When downloading an app from the official App Catalog the phone freezes for 30-60 seconds. What's it doing? I don't know. After that, it starts downloading, so that's not what it's doing in the meantime.

Booting a program takes time. I understand (although it should be faster as well). But some of the current random freezes are unacceptable for a company like Palm.
  18.    #18  
    I don't think that's normal, either. I'm getting a new Pre as replacement, I will give the new Pre another two weeks to see. If the new one still acts up like this, I will have to return Pre and get an HTC Hero. Or just return Pre and cancel contract with Sprint(<30 days) and get an iphone 3gs...

Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Honestly, I don't think this is normal. Yes, my computer tends to freeze a second or two when doing cpu intensive stuff. But it mostly just works a little slower. I have the feeling webOS 1.2 freezes more than previous releases. And longer.

In webOS 1.1 the browser used to be unresponsive for several seconds when scrolling. Really annoying. It happens when scrolling the mobile twitter page (low memory) only, without any other windows open. This hasn't been fixed since.

But in 1.2 there are even more freezes. When downloading an app from the official App Catalog the phone freezes for 30-60 seconds. What's it doing? I don't know. After that, it starts downloading, so that's not what it's doing in the meantime.

Booting a program takes time. I understand (although it should be faster as well). But some of the current random freezes are unacceptable for a company like Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    When you're trying to unlock your phone, is it asking you to put in your pin, but not having the numbers on the screen, or is it just the circular "button" that you have to drag across to unlock? Maybe you didn't set the option to unlock using a PIN? That's the only thing I can conclude from this thread.

Also, removing the battery to restart it can potentially cause damage to files, hence why I feel you should restore it. Your contacts are backed up by Palm, and your installed apps will automatically be redownloaded. Back up any files you have on the phone to a PC and you're set.
    Pulling out the battery should not cause any problems. Many of us here swap out the battery during the day due to it getting low. I have two backup batteries and may swap one or two of them, 4 - 5 days a week due to heavy usage. Many have also purchased a larger battery so they no longer do it.
    Pulling the battery and counting to 10, putting it back in gets rid of all the stray files stuck in memory. I have had "smart phones" for years and they ALL need to be reset once in a while. It just depends upon usage.
    As far as restoring your phone - only as a last resort. It takes a long time, resets everything back to factory defaults, Clears all information and pictures. If for some reason you choose to do this, connect your phone to the computer and backup your pictures. Then go to the last page in the launcher and click on "backup". Follow the prompts and you will have all your contacts, memos and tasks backed up with Palms server. After you reset the phone with restore you now can reinstall your pictures and the palm server will restore your other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post

Now heres a tip from me to you. If you lock the phone then quickly unlock it the phone will not be locked, so basically if you use the power button to turn off the screen then again to turn it back on(quickly) then the phone may have not locked. so lock it then wait a couple of mins then see if it locked
    +1
    I second everything ACEKILLA has said.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 10/13/2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    In all fairness, the App Catalog only really takes that long if you're using Preware/PMS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast