Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    It is sad to see an advanced device like the Pre not be able to stream .wma files like the rest of the Palm phones have been doing for years.

Most if not all major AM/FM radio stations seem to prefer to stream wma over the internet, that leaves Pre owners who want to listen to their local radio stations with no way to stream these stations.

Palm please fix, most other smart phones on the market can do this nativley or at least users can purchase a free/paid app to do it. Pre has nothing.....
    Last edited by migs; 10/13/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    What phones besides WM phones support WMA natively?
    WMA? Is that even still relevant?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    What phones besides WM phones support WMA natively?
    From what Iv read the new Htc Hero has it built in, all modern Blackberrys can do it, all the Palm OS Treos and Centros did it, and of course iPhones can download several free apps to do it.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    WMA? Is that even still relevant?
    Have a favorite local AM or FM radio station? Try going to their website and press "listen live" youll get nothing.
    Last edited by migs; 10/13/2009 at 01:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I'm with you migs...There's an HD radio station that streams in windows media format (.asx) that I would love to listen to on my Pre. I've looked for ways to convert the stream in real time but haven't found anything I like. Maybe Orb?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Basically all phones but the Iphone supports wma playback.
    iPhone has it its a free app called FStream
    SourceMac
    I think that Sirius XM streams in this too.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Thanks, but this site is the one where wma or wmp is required for playback of major radio stations in big cities. Don't beleive me? Try playing your local AM/FM radio station on your Pre from this site.

The Pre will only playback if your station is streaming in mp3 most major stations (ClearChannel stations) do not they use wma, wmp, asx etc
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    I think that Sirius XM streams in this too.
    That is correct. I still have to lug my q9c around because I can stream my XM via musicdock, which uses .asx also. This is why Palm needs to give CORE the access it needs to be able to add codecs...
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Thanks, but this site is the one where wma or wmp is required for playback of major radio stations in big cities. Don't beleive me? Try playing your local AM/FM radio station on your Pre from this site.

The Pre will only playback if your station is streaming in mp3 most major stations (ClearChannel stations) do not they use wma, wmp, asx etc
    The only ones I ever tried, the two major sports radio stations in Boston, have mp3 feeds. You could email them and ask if they could create an mp3 feed for the stations you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    That is correct. I still have to lug my q9c around because I can stream my XM via musicdock, which uses .asx also. This is why Palm needs to give CORE the access it needs to be able to add codecs...
    Yeah. This is the only reason I still have XM in my car and home. Once we have this streaming ability, I can say goodbye to both and only have online Sirius XM.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Unless Palm decides to to include these codecs in a future updates, our only hope is a 3rd party or homebrew apps.

One possiblity is using Kinoma EX in MotionApps' Classic. MotionApps needs to work out some kinks hopefully to get it to stream correctly because accorrding to some posts from a Kinoma rep, they(KINOMA) seem not to want to cooperate to ease the transition to the MotionApps' Palm emulator.
    Read it in the Classic section of the Precentral forums
    http://forums.precentral.net/officia...ma-raideo.html
    Last edited by migs; 10/13/2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    One possiblity is using Kinoma EX in MotionApps' Classic. MotionApps needs to work out some kinks hopefully to get it to stream correctly because accorrding to some posts from a Kinoma rep, they(KINOMA) seem not to want to cooperate to ease the transition to the MotionApps' Palm emulator.
    As I posted in the other thread, Kinoma Player 4 EX works great on Palm OS emulators (StyleTap, Garnet VM) from other vendors.

If you want MotionApps to fix whatever's preventing their emulator from supporting Kinoma Player 4 EX, the only advice I can really give is to let them know.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Well I actually have a Nokia N800 with Garnet emulator but I never got around to testing Kinoma streaming because there is no trial for Kinoma that i know of, and I had already paid for Kinoma on my 700p
    +1 for this.
    I would like to listen to my Florida Gator football games.
    I used to be able to do it with Kinoma and Sirius. But I dont use my 755 anymore and the SEC switched to XM and I dont want to spend the extra $4 because I'd rather have it on my phone.
    I don't think it's a question of when, but a question of licensing, and licensing costs $$. I highly doubt that Microsoft will allow phone competitors to run WMA/WMV files without licensing agreements.

If someone else comes out with a program that will play it, it will not be Palm's responsibility to handle the playback support and licensing (if any). If they made it native in their music player, I'm sure Microsoft will be all over them like heat to a processor.
    I also would like to have the ability to play back my voicemail with WM. However, I couldn't do that with my Palm 755P, and used Pocket Tunes, which worked great. Am waiting for Pocket tunes to come out with a Pre version- would gladly pay for the program.
    alright yes they will stop everything else they r doing right now to get right on it ,just for you lol come on give them some time be real. remember this is a palm pre not a windows pre lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast