Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    So the power button in my phone has the feel of it being stuck down. It still works but you REALLY gotta jam it down with your fingernail to get it on/off. Couple that with the occasional random resets when closing the slider or falling a foot off my couch onto the carpeted floor and resetting. So today I decided to go to the Sprint store near my office. After the "tech" had to have me open the battery door he looked it over, brought it to the back room, then came back to tell me they couldn't work on it because it had water/moisture damage. He showed me how in a couple of spots on the bottom (where there is some surrounding wiring in a brass color) had a little bit of a green colored powder looking substance. He told me this is water damage and they wouldn't work on it due to this. I said, well even if it is water damage how the heck is it effecting the power button being jammed down? He said it's their policy and my only recourse is going through the insurance. F that.

    I came back to my office and inspected the "corrosion" he pointed out. Using the metal end of my mechanical pencil i lightly scraped at the green powder on the brass surroundings. The powder came right off no problem. In fact, I probably could have scraped it with a fingernail. It looks very good except is ever so dull compared to the rest of the brass but you'd really have to look hard to notice. I'm going to take it to a different Sprint store near my house tonight and try again to get this power button and random reset issue repaired. I'll let you know how I make out.

    As far as the "water damage" the only things I can think of is when I put the invisishield on some of the water leaked under the battery cover when I squeegeed. Or some water dripped over the sides when I occasionally clean the screen with a wet paper towel. Regardless I'll be more careful since I now see how anal Sprint is but come on, don't shaft me out of a phone for something so ridiculous.
  2. #2  
    I don't quite understand this whole "water damage" and insurance issue, but Sprint isn't the only one who has some exclusion for that. Apparently it's a big deal for iPods as well, and voids any sort of warranty. They even have some sort of moisture detector inside, and if it shows any signs of water then you're finished. I've heard of people using bleach or some other method to "clear" the detector so they can get their iPod covered under warranty 8^(.
  3. #3  
    Verizon is horrible about the water damage stickers. I live in a very humid city so the sticker turned without my phone ever coming near water ;p.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    So the power button in my phone has the feel of it being stuck down. It still works but you REALLY gotta jam it down with your fingernail to get it on/off. Couple that with the occasional random resets when closing the slider or falling a foot off my couch onto the carpeted floor and resetting. So today I decided to go to the Sprint store near my office. After the "tech" had to have me open the battery door he looked it over, brought it to the back room, then came back to tell me they couldn't work on it because it had water/moisture damage. He showed me how in a couple of spots on the bottom (where there is some surrounding wiring in a brass color) had a little bit of a green colored powder looking substance. He told me this is water damage and they wouldn't work on it due to this. I said, well even if it is water damage how the heck is it effecting the power button being jammed down? He said it's their policy and my only recourse is going through the insurance. F that.

    I came back to my office and inspected the "corrosion" he pointed out. Using the metal end of my mechanical pencil i lightly scraped at the green powder on the brass surroundings. The powder came right off no problem. In fact, I probably could have scraped it with a fingernail. It looks very good except is ever so dull compared to the rest of the brass but you'd really have to look hard to notice. I'm going to take it to a different Sprint store near my house tonight and try again to get this power button and random reset issue repaired. I'll let you know how I make out.

    As far as the "water damage" the only things I can think of is when I put the invisishield on some of the water leaked under the battery cover when I squeegeed. Or some water dripped over the sides when I occasionally clean the screen with a wet paper towel. Regardless I'll be more careful since I now see how anal Sprint is but come on, don't shaft me out of a phone for something so ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I don't quite understand this whole "water damage" and insurance issue, but Sprint isn't the only one who has some exclusion for that. Apparently it's a big deal for iPods as well, and voids any sort of warranty. They even have some sort of moisture detector inside, and if it shows any signs of water then you're finished. I've heard of people using bleach or some other method to "clear" the detector so they can get their iPod covered under warranty 8^(.
    anyone with any knowledge of electronics will tell you that first Water and Electricity Do NOT mix. and no matter where the corrosion is it can have strange effects on your device. Again water and Electricity do NOT mix. period!!!

    Now since your phone had displayed sign of corrosion (green powdery substance - which again anyone with any basic knowledge of electronics will tell you, that when water comes in contact with copper it will turn green, and if it comes in contact with tin it will turn white) removing the green substance doesnt mean you dont have water damage anymore.

    Water damage doesn't mean soaked. it means water came in contact with your device and corroded certain parts of it. again Water and electricity dont mix.!!

    while there may be visible signs of water damage on the outer shell a good tech will usually open your device and inspect more closely for further signs of damage. sometimes cleaning the "guts" of the device with some denatured alcohol and a little help with some solder resin and a heat gun. it may be able to bring your device back to normal status.

    any good tech does not Rely on stickers alone, they will visually inspect the device.

    if you have TEP and they have determined it is water damaged dont be surprised if it was flagged in the system as so. hence making going to another sprint store a moot point.

    Good luck.

    ps im at work so sorry for the semi broken english
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    Verizon is horrible about the water damage stickers. I live in a very humid city so the sticker turned without my phone ever coming near water ;p.
    The Pre does not have a (visible) moisture sticker, to the best of my knowledge
  6. #6  
    The Sprint store tried pulling that ****** with me too. With my treo 755. I was walking from my office to my car and it was raining lightly,and (I mean lightly) as soon as I got in my car I tried to make a phone call and the phone dead. I took it to sprint and they told me it was water damage, NOT COVERED! One white speck of corrosion?? BS

    Callled CS and they replaced it for me.
    .
    .
    .

    What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

    "Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    .....
    As far as the "water damage" the only things I can think of is when I put the invisishield on some of the water leaked under the battery cover when I squeegeed. .....
    That's probably what happened and the same for the power button issue. It only takes a little drop of liquid to wreck the Pre. My wife spilled a few drops of coffee on her Pre keyboard and had the same symptoms with the Power button, among other things. I didn't offer any explanation upon taking it to the store other than it was malfunctioning. I got a new-unit replacement on the spot.

    The green is corrosion (obviously) and cleans up easy with some rubbing alcohol or electronic contact cleaner on a q-tip. Make sure and clean up any traces of it and take it to another Sprint store. If it's within the 30 days of purchase, most likely they'll replace it without even bothering to look at it. Just make sure you "play dumb" with what may have happened.

    FWIW, Sprint TEP through Assurion covers water damage.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    anyone with any knowledge of electronics will tell you that first Water and Electricity Do NOT mix. and no matter where the corrosion is it can have strange effects on your device. Again water and Electricity do NOT mix. period!!!

    Now since your phone had displayed sign of corrosion (green powdery substance - which again anyone with any basic knowledge of electronics will tell you, that when water comes in contact with copper it will turn green, and if it comes in contact with tin it will turn white) removing the green substance doesnt mean you dont have water damage anymore.

    Water damage doesn't mean soaked. it means water came in contact with your device and corroded certain parts of it. again Water and electricity dont mix.!!

    while there may be visible signs of water damage on the outer shell a good tech will usually open your device and inspect more closely for further signs of damage. sometimes cleaning the "guts" of the device with some denatured alcohol and a little help with some solder resin and a heat gun. it may be able to bring your device back to normal status.

    any good tech does not Rely on stickers alone, they will visually inspect the device.

    if you have TEP and they have determined it is water damaged dont be surprised if it was flagged in the system as so. hence making going to another sprint store a moot point.

    Good luck.

    ps im at work so sorry for the semi broken english
    i worried about it possibly being flagged but need to take my chances. has anyone actually heard of this happening to someone?
  9. #9  
    I too am perplexed by the issue or water damage and cell phones. I got it, water will destroy them (and the pre is very sensitive to water compared to my previous phones).

    What I don't understand is why I can run my phone over with my car (on dry pavement) and BB will happily swap it out. If a single drop of water causes an issue, I'm hosed.

    My only guess is that the percentage of people who make claims for water damage is so high that they won't cover it due to overhead.
  10.    #10  
    went to the sprint store near my house. guy said it'd take 35 mins to fix. came back in 30 and he told me the phone needs to be replaced and they are mailing one to my home and should be there in a day or 2.

    question is, how does that work? do i have a certain number of days to turn the old phone in to a sprint store or do i have to go to sprint and have them switch it all over or how does it all work?
  11. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    anyone with any knowledge of electronics will tell you that first Water and Electricity Do NOT mix. and no matter where the corrosion is it can have strange effects on your device. Again water and Electricity do NOT mix. period!!!

    Now since your phone had displayed sign of corrosion (green powdery substance - which again anyone with any basic knowledge of electronics will tell you, that when water comes in contact with copper it will turn green, and if it comes in contact with tin it will turn white) removing the green substance doesnt mean you dont have water damage anymore.

    Water damage doesn't mean soaked. it means water came in contact with your device and corroded certain parts of it. again Water and electricity dont mix.!!

    while there may be visible signs of water damage on the outer shell a good tech will usually open your device and inspect more closely for further signs of damage. sometimes cleaning the "guts" of the device with some denatured alcohol and a little help with some solder resin and a heat gun. it may be able to bring your device back to normal status.

    any good tech does not Rely on stickers alone, they will visually inspect the device.

    if you have TEP and they have determined it is water damaged dont be surprised if it was flagged in the system as so. hence making going to another sprint store a moot point.

    Good luck.

    ps im at work so sorry for the semi broken english
    Hey, what are your thoughts on water and electricity? I mean, like, combined?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Hey, what are your thoughts on water and electricity? I mean, like, combined?
    Hehehehehe
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13. slimshady's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    went to the sprint store near my house. guy said it'd take 35 mins to fix. came back in 30 and he told me the phone needs to be replaced and they are mailing one to my home and should be there in a day or 2.

    question is, how does that work? do i have a certain number of days to turn the old phone in to a sprint store or do i have to go to sprint and have them switch it all over or how does it all work?
    I think they will send you a return box to mail your old one back
  14. #14  
    if you short ANY key on the keyboard on side buttons then others will also not work properly, they are all tied into the same main signal lines on the board. this is the same on alot of nextel and sprint phones as well(probably others also). I dont even look at water marks since most of the time their either removed which makes me suspicious, or i can clearly see dried up moisture and white stickers.. I always pull the housing off and if I see anything corroded I cannot replace it. its not something we like to do trust me. we lose money by turning you away, but at the same time if I was to send back a liquid damaged phone, you get a new phone..and our account gets deducted for the FULL retail price of the phone. its been this way as long as I can remember. usually when theirs liquid damage I fix the problem with pure acetone and fiberglass pencil under microscope just to get the customer going until their new phone arrives. if the phone is completely dead though or too much time involved to repair theirs nothing we can do.

    most customers dont realize how easy it is to get moisture. taking a shower with the phone sitting on the sink, the condensation is enough to destroy the phone. ALL liquid damage can be 100% repaired if customers would pull the battery as SOON as it happened then came to the shop. once the impurities in the water turn into shorts and eat away the copper its difficult, even harder if the shorts are under the shields or chips making recovery not possible in our timeframe.
  15. wolfsoul's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    anyone with any knowledge of electronics will tell you that first Water and Electricity Do NOT mix. and no matter where the corrosion is it can have strange effects on your device. Again water and Electricity do NOT mix. period!!!

    Now since your phone had displayed sign of corrosion (green powdery substance - which again anyone with any basic knowledge of electronics will tell you, that when water comes in contact with copper it will turn green, and if it comes in contact with tin it will turn white) removing the green substance doesnt mean you dont have water damage anymore.

    Water damage doesn't mean soaked. it means water came in contact with your device and corroded certain parts of it. again Water and electricity don't mix.!!

    while there may be visible signs of water damage on the outer shell a good tech will usually open your device and inspect more closely for further signs of damage. sometimes cleaning the "guts" of the device with some denatured alcohol and a little help with some solder resin and a heat gun. it may be able to bring your device back to normal status.

    any good tech does not Rely on stickers alone, they will visually inspect the device.

    if you have TEP and they have determined it is water damaged don't be surprised if it was flagged in the system as so. hence making going to another sprint store a moot point.

    Good luck.

    ps im at work so sorry for the semi broken english

    thanks u took the words out of my mouth
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    The Pre does not have a (visible) moisture sticker, to the best of my knowledge
    It does have a water damage sensor, Ifixit found it here
    Step 16
    .........
    We found a water damage sensor on the logic board, just below the Micro USB port, indicated by the red box on the second image.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    The Pre does not have a (visible) moisture sticker, to the best of my knowledge
    I've seen posts on this forum showing the locations (in a picture) of two sensors (one one each slider half).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    ps im at work so sorry for the semi broken english
    I know what you mean. My English is terrible at work too. But, now that I am not a work, it is remarkably improved!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    I too am perplexed by the issue or water damage and cell phones. I got it, water will destroy them (and the pre is very sensitive to water compared to my previous phones).

    What I don't understand is why I can run my phone over with my car (on dry pavement) and BB will happily swap it out. If a single drop of water causes an issue, I'm hosed.

    My only guess is that the percentage of people who make claims for water damage is so high that they won't cover it due to overhead.
    Well, first of all. If you get that single drop of water on it, take it out and run over it with your car. It would be hard for them to find that drop of water in the hundreds of pieces that you pour out of a box.

    But, more seriously, I think the issue is that once there is moisture damage, the only remedy is replacement. Sure you can scrape off the obvious corrosion, but there may be more hidden somewhere that you can't see. And anyone who's driven a rust bucket through a Midwest winter knows, once corrosion has started, there is no stopping it.

    I have had water damage on a phone before (forgot I had it in my pocket and went kayaking, and took a little spill). TEP replaced it for the $100 deductible, no questions asked.

    I know a little corrosion doesn't seem like much, but as we all know now, water and electricity do not mix!
  20. #20  
    Putting the word Sprint and Tech in the same sentence now is the Joke of Jokes. I know there are some older good ones out their but for the most part they have no clue about the Phones they work on.

    They are at best observers of what looks out of place and can put a ribbon cable back in place if it pops out. They have no real Parts anymore so everything is beyond fixable. It just depends on whether they want to exchange or send it through insurance for you.

    It's also nice they put the Water sticker right at the most Opened area of the Phone under the Port .

    Corrosion can happen from moisture in the Air but that doesn't make it Water Damage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions