1.    #1  
    Rather than preware and some other hack-job, is Sprint/palm pre working to integrate a on-screen keyboard downloadable from the APP screen?
    *pulls up lawnchair.
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    It's certainly possible, but I doubt it.
    ummmmm....even if Palm were working on a virtual keyboard...and I don't think they are....it would be no more than a "hack-job" as you call it. In fact I would probably say that it will be almost a carbon copy of what we already have from webos internalz. And it doesn't break your Pre so what is the big deal about a "non sanctioned" keyboard. What I am saying is that official or unofficial they would both work the SAME WAY!

Hey Palm......WEEZE DON'T NEEDS YOUR STINKING KEYBOARDS.....WEEZE ALREADY GOT DEMS"

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Why would you doubt it? The only reason the homebrewers are able to do it is because it's already built into the firmware, just not activated.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    *pulls up lawnchair.
    LOL, lefty.
    I wonder how long before that comes out?
    I do not believe it is built in to the firmware....they did that with the symbol key function, and built the keyboard from there.
    exactly. It was build from scratch. They spent probably hundreds of hours working on it. They did a great job. But I think an official virtual keyboard would be more responsive since palm knows the way around the os.
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    exactly. It was build from scratch. They spent probably hundreds of hours working on it. They did a great job. But I think an official virtual keyboard would be more responsive since palm knows the way around the os.
    I agree, although I thank the developers for the VK, but I had to un-install it. It is very buggy and slow, it defeats the purpose, I hope Plam comes out with their own.

By the way, has anyone experience the issue where you cannot tap on a form field if the keyboard is up? I had to close the keyboard, tap on the field and then doubl tap to get the vk back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I agree, although I thank the developers for the VK, but I had to un-install it. It is very buggy and slow, it defeats the purpose, I hope Plam comes out with their own.

By the way, has anyone experience the issue where you cannot tap on a form field if the keyboard is up? I had to close the keyboard, tap on the field and then doubl tap to get the vk back up.
    If you removed it then why do you care?

BTW If you dont think the current v/k uninstall it and go away.
    emoney_33 did all of this on his own time and for donations(free). He did it to help out the very people who are slamming his hard work as some other hack job.
    You guys need to support our devs and quit your *****ing about beta software that you didnt have to pay for.

ITS FREE AND YOUR COMPLAINING ABOUT IT, THATS RICH
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    If you removed it then why do you care?

BTW If you dont think the current v/k uninstall it and go away.
    emoney_33 did all of this on his own time and for donations(free). He did it to help out the very people who are slamming his hard work as some other hack job.
    You guys need to support our devs and quit your *****ing about beta software that you didnt have to pay for.

ITS FREE AND YOUR COMPLAINING ABOUT IT, THATS RICH
    I sir, give you a WOOOOOOOOOOT!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I sir, give you a WOOOOOOOOOOT!
    Back at ya!

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paultn View Post
    Rather than preware and some other hack-job, is Sprint/palm pre working to integrate a on-screen keyboard downloadable from the APP screen?
    powerbyte Try reading paultn's post again.
    It doesn't say Palm's virtuals keyboard is a "hack-job". It's saying that Sprint/Palm's app could/would be better than some of the 'hack-jobs" that are out there.

ummmmm....even if Palm were working on a virtual keyboard...and I don't think they are....it would be no more than a "hack-job" as you call it. In fact I would probably say that it will be almost a carbon copy of what we already have from webos internalz. And it doesn't break your Pre so what is the big deal about a "non sanctioned" keyboard. What I am saying is that official or unofficial they would both work the SAME WAY!

Hey Palm......WEEZE DON'T NEEDS YOUR STINKING KEYBOARDS.....WEEZE ALREADY GOT DEMS"

I for one like all the effort everyone puts into makeing apps. No matter what you call them or where they come from.
    I figure all the apps have to start some where. If they start as a "hack-job" and there's a few hundred or thousand people giving feed back on how they work. Maybe that will get the bugs worked out faster.
    Last edited by siderbox; 10/13/2009 at 09:35 PM.
    why would sprint have anything to do with anything reguarding the Pre at this point. Their place is to get the update from palm, test it against their systems and then give a green light to sending it out to the masses. Trust me Sprint is out of the loop when it comes to what is actually in the updates. (save for network intensive apps,services) and even then the carriers are tiptoeing around the FCC with those issues.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    i would lke to say first that the guys who made the vk are awsome and do a great job.... but i can understand why u would want a offical vk... hopefully palm will get together with emoney and anyone else who worked on vk and give them offical credit for there work...
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    Why would you doubt it? The only reason the homebrewers are able to do it is because it's already built into the firmware, just not activated.
    Yeah right... all homebrewers had to do was un-comment a couple lines of code and wham bam virtual keyboard! NOT!

The reason I have doubt is because I can't see a way it makes much business sense to put a lot of effort into it when they already went to all the trouble to give us a real keyboard.

Now what I can imagines is that Palm might allow the homebrew virtual keyboard into their app catalog some day... once they start to allow a lot more trickery that what is currently available in their sdk. Right now the virtual keyboard is way beyond the scope of what kind of apps they'll allow, but I imagine it could happen way down the road.

xtn
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

I wonder if the homebrew movement was anticipated by Palm and they knew they could release this bare bones phone and have all this talent bringing the phone up to speed. What a great collaboration that I am a fortunate beneficiary of. I waited in line at Sprint San Mateo and got my Pre on Day 1. Many thanks to many for this great platform.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    why can't they just work on a video cam....that what we reall need....and flash!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    why can't they just work on a video cam....that what we reall need....and flash!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can see flash being important, but its not Sprint or Palm were waiting on its Adobe and its already been announced so that One is a mute point.

As for a video Cam, I know there are a few of you that really want a video cam...But I cant see myself using a v/cam on a phone, If I want to shoot some video Ill use My video cam...It is way better quality. Not saying dont do it just saying I would never use it.

What is needed is a better cam, well at least zoom.

Follow the link below.