Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just learned of this new data plan from Sprint Relay @ $29.99 and is offered on all smartphones including Palm Pre. It looks like just a thing that I was looking for as I have a Blackberry company phone and wanted to have a Pre for personal use at the lowest possible cost, and I think I found one.

I did a search and couldn't find any info on what this Sprint Relay store is. Can someone comment PROS and CONS? It looks like you can use Skype for voice calls, but not sure.

Sprint Relay Store
    Looks interesting.
    Sorry for the junk post, but the stupid 10 post minimum is getting in my way. At least I'll be able to see links in .sigs now ... that I still think it's absurd that those, of all things, are blocked.

Unbeknown to you, every forum on the internet has a problem with automated bots either spamming advertisement or malicious codes across the internet. Even with the most sophisticated traps some still get through. I have seen forums totally destroyed by bots overnight. All the protection here is done for a purpose, which includes signature restrictions. When I moderated over at AMD motherboards, we had a bot the posted a malicious java code in his signature, that would auto open hundreds of graphic web pages on your browser faster than you could close them. Then crash your system.
    Last edited by palandri; 10/13/2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added
    I have no real knowledge of this, but a short time doing research has me very leery.... The sprint.com domain is registered through a service called MarkMonitor. You can see that Sprint lists their corporate address as part of the whois information. The sprintrelaystore.com domain, on the other hand is registered using 1 & 1 w/private registration... typically used by individuals not companies. It's also rare (though not unheard of) for a company to use different registrars for different domains.

So best case scenario, this is some kind of a reseller company that has access to special Sprint plans that nobody else in the world seems to have. Worst case, it's a scammer. Also, I noticed on the bottom of the linked page it has " 2008 Sprint Nextel. All rights reserved." ... not 2009. Almost like they just copied an older Sprint website template.
    Its suppose to be used for people that can't hear or have other disabilities. But most anyone can sign up... Hence, I'm on the sucker for my Pre.
    The cool thing about this plan is that it includes Sprint supported tethering. No 3rd party software required.
    If a VoIP app ever comes to the Pre this would be extremely useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by runagun View Post
    Its suppose to be used for people that can't hear or have other disabilities. But most anyone can sign up... Hence, I'm on the sucker for my Pre.
    Excellent way to abuse a voluntary program designed to help people with an impairment.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    equal rights, correct? Not that I'm a jerk or anything.. why can't those that aren't impaired use it? It's not free..
  10.    #10  
    Isn't there anyone who took the plunge who can comment on Sprint Relay Store? I'm getting trigger happy!
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zpoettker View Post
    equal rights, correct? Not that I'm a jerk or anything.. why can't those that aren't impaired use it? It's not free..
    Sorry you must be real low going on this plan unless you have the disability!

I assume you park in handicap parking also? the only difference is the blue paint
    Last edited by sjjones; 10/13/2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Haha it's like a non-racist version of "why is affirmative action only for white people?".
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Sorry you must be real low going on this plan unless you have the disability!

I assume you park in handicap parking also? the only difference is the blue paint
    Umm... except using this doesn't hurt or impact disabled people in any way. Parking in their spot prevents them from being able to.

If the plan is being made available to the public, then that is that. Who cares who uses it?
    Quote Originally Posted by allergic View Post
    Umm... except using this doesn't hurt or impact disabled people in any way.
    *sleeps through Ethics and Philosophy 101*
    *has no idea what categorical imperative means*

The reason these plans are open to everyone is because an amendment to the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits Sprint from requiring proof of disability. If this service is abused by a large number of people, Sprint will either kill the service entirely or take a massive long-term hit in the wallet from all the leechers using a cheap data plan to run SIP phones, tethered data, etc.

Which option do you think Sprint would choose, and what would it mean for the truly disabled whose quality of life greatly benefits from cheap/free relay services?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    # Unlimited Domestic Text Messaging (SMS) (Included! Save $15)

* * picture/video text message is NOT included

# Incoming call will be blocked. When making the outgoing phone calls, you will be billed at $0.20 per minute for local voice calls or $0.40 per minute for long distance voice calls. The incoming call block may be removed by contacting our video customer service, with the exception of the Palm Pre. If the incoming call block is removed, you will be billed at the same rate as the outgoing phone calls.

'nuff said
    Hey, here's a entitlement for the protected class.

But, umm, we're not allowed to determine whether you qualify.

So, just don't take advantage of it, if you don't qualify.

If you do, we'll.. we'll... ridicule your ethics, demand you define categorical imperative, and hold you personally responsible for evil atrocities!!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Lotsa **** around here!
    needs GPS and then I'd be all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by allergic View Post
    Umm... except using this doesn't hurt or impact disabled people in any way. Parking in their spot prevents them from being able to.

If the plan is being made available to the public, then that is that. Who cares who uses it?
    I have been trying to get one for my wife. She has limited vision, so the large screen works better for her. They will not even hold one for her, and idiots who think getting one for a data plan does not hurt the disable are idiots and jerks!

hubpages.com/hub/Adventures-in-Disabilities
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1900 View Post
    Hey, here's a entitlement for the protected class.

But, umm, we're not allowed to determine whether you qualify.

So, just don't take advantage of it, if you don't qualify.

If you do, we'll.. we'll... ridicule your ethics, demand you define categorical imperative, and hold you personally responsible for evil atrocities!!

You don't get it. And, I fear you never will.

It saddens me. I suspect being you is its own punishment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast