Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This for all the newbies (like myself). Ok I just tried for the first time the web quick install and preware over the weekend and I must say that i am impressed. As some of you are aware I have been a vocal critic of the pre when it comes to basic functions. Well for those of us out there still complaining I would suggest trying preware. There are a lot of good FREE apps that turn the pre into a functional smartphone. First app I downloaded was checkbook (aka the life saver). I knew eventually a financial app would arrive on the pre ala pocket quicken but until that that time checkbook is a good solution. You can even import csv files (unfortunately only via google spreadsheets). Here is a quick checklist of standout tweaks/apps I am using for the pre.

* Mac OS X desktop theme (changes the dial app too)
    * Email patches: 1) empty trash 2) landscape view along with virtual keyboard allow for typing without sliding open the keyboard
    * patch - default calendar view is month
    * patch top bar - calendar date and battery percentage is visible
    * quick event - easy way to enter calendar dates without opening the calendar app i.e. 10/09 6pm-7pm lunch @ rally's
    * led notifications
    * patch add pages to launcher (currently have 4 instead of default 3)
    * patch launcher - 4 columns instead of 3
    * music remix app
    * dr.podder - podcast app. Simple and easy to use. No need to use browser
    * tweefree - slicker interface than tweed
    * myq for netflix - You can rearrange your netflix queue w/o opening browser
    * patch SMS - each conversation gets its own card

Well I think thats it. My biggest hurdle was installing webos quick install. That was because i had to use windows parallel on macos. The patches/apps took about 10mins. Like i said for those of you who are not happy with your pre I would highly suggest preware. It makes the pre a lot better.
  2.    #2  
    Oh forgot three more. A patch that hides the original Music app. I have music remix so no need for two. Also a patch to remove the annoying charging sound. My pre now vibrates. And finally haptic feedback on the dialer app. No sound.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Indeed, I came for the linux backend and ...well basically anything that isn't windows mobile, I stay for the homebrew and fantastic open development done thus far and continuing (the webos-internals guys have been a blast to chat with on their IRC, and deserve a great deal of credit for their contributions to this platform).
    wow welcome to the pre world, what took so long? Thats like owning a Ferrari and never going over 25mph.

I really like the post by guys who say they don't want to 'hack' their Pre. Really... Ok well enjoy using ur phone at 50% potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by trick440 View Post
    wow welcome to the pre world, what took so long? Thats like owning a Ferrari and never going over 25mph.

I really like the post by guys who say they don't want to 'hack' their Pre. Really... Ok well enjoy using ur phone at 50% potential.
    Wow...you think adding battery percentage, new rows of icons or launcher pages, themes and homebrew apps is fifty percent of the potential of the Pre/WebOS?

That's not exactly saying much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wow...you think adding battery percentage, new rows of icons or launcher pages, themes and homebrew apps is fifty percent of the potential of the Pre/WebOS?

That's not exactly saying much.

I just through that 50% number out there but... Yes.

What is the Pre without homebrew? A phone... ok well.. thanks for that big one. fairly basic GPS with issues and a web browser. Whoo what a device.

Now with 'Hacks' its...
    Battery percentage
    Themes,,, a ton
    Launcher page mods
    Text forwarding
    video
    Tethering
    Agenda
    Flashlight
    Stock reports

And thats just the stuff I use. I know others will be different. i would say thats over 50% you disagee?

Sure this phone is getting an app catalog but as of now it cheesy. I'm coming from an Iphone, Pres app selection is almost none existant in comparision.
    Glad you found homebrew, it's really made the Pre for me. Android has a similar homebrew scene, it's refreshing. I think it will be a staple of these phones for years to come.

What is the Pre without homebrew? A phone... ok well.. thanks for that big one. fairly basic GPS with issues and a web browser. Whoo what a device.

Now with 'Hacks' its...
    Battery percentage
    Themes,,, a ton
    Launcher page mods
    Text forwarding
    video
    Tethering
    Agenda
    Flashlight
    Stock reports

And thats just the stuff I use. I know others will be different. i would say thats over 50% you disagee?

Sure this phone is getting an app catalog but as of now it cheesy. I'm coming from an Iphone, Pres app selection is almost none existant in comparision.
    Did you really list Flashlight?

Now with 'Hacks' its...
    Battery percentage
    Themes,,, a ton
    Launcher page mods
    Text forwarding
    video
    Tethering
    Agenda
    Flashlight
    Stock reports

I would disagree.

I guess I don't count visual modding as some great addition. I mean...themes, battery percentage, and launcher mods...we were doing that with GarnetOS. Big whoop. WinMo does it. Android does it. Everybody does it.

Text forwarding is just bringing the phone up to spec slowly. No different than the iPhone FINALLY getting MMS or cut and paste officially (they were available as jailbreak mods before Apple got it in gear). Tethering? If you have a mobile device you need to tether it to, that's ok. But wi-fi is everywhere, so if you're a laptop warrior, you probably have access most everywhere you need it anyway.

I actually use my phone as a flashlight already. Just turning up the screen brightness has the same effect.

So...again, if these are the big value adds, it doesn't say much for WebOS.

There's way more potential in this system than what we're seeing now. Only Palm can unlock it, tho.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    half of the fun is actually doing the mods and hacks, especially before WOSQI or Preware were around. When a phone has everything i am looking for right out of the box, i get bored real quick. Thats why my Hero sits in the drawer, havent really used it in a week, at least the service is free. Anyways, i love the homebrew world and the people out their that have made it what it is and what it will be.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I would disagree.
    I actually use my phone as a flashlight already. Just turning up the screen brightness has the same effect.
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to the Flashlight! app that uses the camera's LED flash for the flashlight. Works MUCH better than a white screen with the brightness all the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to the Flashlight! app that uses the camera's LED flash for the flashlight. Works MUCH better than a white screen with the brightness all the way up.
    Ok. Well, the only instance I need a flashlight from a cell phone for is when I'm coming to bed late, and I don't want to wake my wife by turning a light on. But that's simply my experience. I fully recognize that other people's mileage will vary.

Still, not much of a differentiator, is it?
    I would disagree.

I guess I don't count visual modding as some great addition. I mean...themes, battery percentage, and launcher mods...we were doing that with GarnetOS. Big whoop. WinMo does it. Android does it. Everybody does it.

Text forwarding is just bringing the phone up to spec slowly. No different than the iPhone FINALLY getting MMS or cut and paste officially (they were available as jailbreak mods before Apple got it in gear). Tethering? If you have a mobile device you need to tether it to, that's ok. But wi-fi is everywhere, so if you're a laptop warrior, you probably have access most everywhere you need it anyway.

There's way more potential in this system than what we're seeing now. Only Palm can unlock it, tho.
    What potential are you looking for/talking about/know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    What potential are you looking for/talking about/know about?
    The potential of this being the ONLY device on the market that has hardware nearly equivalent to iPhone's flagship AND has the company that makes that hardware also make the software AND has a open software distribution model that is more appealing to a developer AND is a device/OS that will be offered on multiple carriers domestically in the near future.

That's a powerful combo with potential to really upend the market. None of it will come to fruition until Palm actually finishes the OS.
    When you "hack" it, does it make the virtual keyboard available at anytime or in only certain situations?
    The potential of this being the ONLY device on the market that has hardware nearly equivalent to iPhone's flagship AND has the company that makes that hardware also make the software AND has a open software distribution model that is more appealing to a developer AND is a device/OS that will be offered on multiple carriers domestically in the near future.

That's a powerful combo with potential to really upend the market. None of it will come to fruition until Palm actually finishes the OS.
    I also hope that they eventually bump it up to run at 600, with cpu scaling functioning properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    When you "hack" it, does it make the virtual keyboard available at anytime or in only certain situations?
    I just DL it and it seems like to me its available at anytime you can use your cursor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Did you really list Flashlight?
    I actually like the Flashlight program that uses the camera's LED flash. Very bright, directed light.
    I would disagree.

Visual Modding It's not the "unique" factor, as you said, it's been done before. It's the ease of doing it that's new. You don't have to be a programmer. There are folks now making themes that know virtually nothing about programming. Couldn't do that with PalmOS. Not very easy 9from my limited experience) with WinMo. WebOS, it's easy.

Tethering maybe it's "everywhere" for you, but not for everyone. I used tethering extensively on my boat with my Treo when we did overnighters. Now friends and family that come with us can as well. To anyone that sees the commercial for MyFi, they understand the "cool" factor of My Tether.

Flashlight I used to use my Treo's screen as a flashlight. If you think the screen works as well as the camera's LED, you either haven't compared them, or you're not looking close enough.

These aren't "big value" mods, by themselves, but neither are any single one of the 80,000 apps for the iPhone. It's the cumulative value. And, I should add, that OP was stating that he now sees the value of HomeBrew that he pooh-poohed before. Are you really saying there's no value in the HomeBrew??
    Ok. Well, the only instance I need a flashlight from a cell phone for is when I'm coming to bed late, and I don't want to wake my wife by turning a light on. But that's simply my experience. I fully recognize that other people's mileage will vary.

Still, not much of a differentiator, is it?
    I think you're deliberately being obtuse. It's not how often do you need "a flashlight from a cell phone". It's how often do you need a small single LED flashlight.

Obviously, those folks that cell them at the checkout counters are counting on people needing them. I'm no longer one of those people. I have one with me now wherever I have my cell phone, which is just about everywhere.

C'mon now, lighten up. I know you're disappointed with the device, but that doesn't mean that others can't be excited about it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast