1.    #1  
    Do you guys think it would ever be possible? I heard the CPU in the Pre is capable of 800MHz+
    I would hope so. It would benefit in the future.
  3.    #3  
    Well would anyone techie come in here and help us out?
    Yeah, I'd love to have a overclocked pre.
    you can do it if you root your pre but its technical and deep...theres some info on here about that somewhere....do a search with key word "overclocking" or "overclock"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Do you guys think it would ever be possible? I heard the CPU in the Pre is capable of 800MHz+
    The ARM Cortex A8 architecture can do greater than 1GHz (see Qualcomm Snapdragon), however, the Texas Instruments OMAP3 3430 is limited to 600MHz. The Palm Pre has the 3430 clocked at 500MHz for longevity, though some have pushed it to 600MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    And the phone does not get hot enough? Could replace the speaker with a fan I guess.
    There should be enough room since you will have to run a bigger battery. The standard might last 30 seconds....lol Going liquid cooled....I'm in.

Went for 1200Mhz....."smoken"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 10/14/2009 at 11:51 AM.
  8.    #8  
    I thought the Pre's processor was at 600MHz just like the iphones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    The ARM Cortex A8 architecture can do greater than 1GHz (see Qualcomm Snapdragon), however, the Texas Instruments OMAP3 3430 is limited to 600MHz. The Palm Pre has the 3430 clocked at 500MHz for longevity, though some have pushed it to 600MHz.
    I hope the next Pre is based off of SnapDragon. That thing looks dead fast. Unless, you know, TI has something faster under their sleeves!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    OMAP 4. screw qualcomm!
    I use my Pre at 600mhz (sometimes, I use the SmartReflex method) and it does get quite warm but the heat does not make it unstable. With a rooted pre you can use quilt (which is basically PreWare's patching system without the GUI) and apply the "powersave-smartreflex" patch to overclock the CPU to 600mhz. This will also underclock the CPU to save battery when your phone is idle.

But yea it's kinda unstable at times but it's definitely snappier overall. They say it's an experimental patch and can be unstable, but I haven't had any issues.

And the Pre's CPU runs at 500mhz.
    Sounds a little risky seeing as the phone can get a little warm already.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMan459 View Post
    I use my Pre at 600mhz (sometimes, I use the SmartReflex method) and it does get quite warm but the heat does not make it unstable. With a rooted pre you can use quilt (which is basically PreWare's patching system without the GUI) and apply the "powersave-smartreflex" patch to overclock the CPU to 600mhz. This will also underclock the CPU to save battery when your phone is idle.

But yea it's kinda unstable at times but it's definitely snappier overall. They say it's an experimental patch and can be unstable, but I haven't had any issues.

So I can find that powersave smartreflex in preware?
    no actually you can't... Looks like experimental patches aren't on the PreWare feed, so you will have to root to overclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMan459 View Post

SmartReflex doesn't underclock the CPU at all, it just lowers the voltage of the CPU. The only time you'll get CPU Scaling with SmartReflex is running vit-vipers script.