Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I still have a minor Oreo... and it's one of the most annoying things to have.
    I mean, everytime I pick up my Pre I'm reminded of its flimsy hardware.
    My dad got a Pre LAUNCH day with no hardware problems. I get mine 6 days after and I have an oreo + gap that comes out of it.

The gap widens and then I complain to Palm 2 months after and they send me a refurbished Pre...

This refurbished Pre ALSO has an Oreo effect. It doesn't have the gap, but it's so easy to make a gap with an oreo because it just keeps forcing itself open.

So is there an easier way to fix this?
    Can anyone take quality pictures showing where EXACTLY to put super glue or pressure? I'm too scared that I might screw it up.
    There are a couple guides on how to fix this, but the pictures are blurry and I really want to know where exactly to put the super glue...
    Mine has the Fig Newton effect.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Mine has the Fig Newton effect.
    ROFL Thanks for that!

Mine has a wee bit of an oreo but it has never worsened and I slide mine open and closed a zillion times a day. If I put it in a hard case I don't notice it at all.
    Yeah, mine has the oreo effect and it's been getting worse (again). It's not as bad as the first one (which also had dead pixels). It definitely ****es me off but I can deal with it in its current state. If it gets worse I'm going to make Sprint replace it again and hope I get a solid one this time.
    Had my PRE 2 weeks & med "Oreo" & yes it bugs me, Sprint sending me a new one because i'm still on my 30 day trial.
    All 3 of mine are still good, 1 has just a little play but not bad at all.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Yup, I got the oreo effect as well. Quite annoying. Haven't bothered to get my exchange done though. Too busy!
    My wife a few issues with her Pre. I took it into a repair center to have it swapped. It took us 3 phones to find one with only some Oreo. The first 2 they brought out had gaps big enough to see through.

Mine on the other hand is as solid as a Pre can get. Little oreo and no gap to be seen. Yay for me.
    Perhaps one of the more ignorant questions asked on this forum (at least today ), but... what exactly IS the Oreo effect? I finally got my Pre yesterday, but I've been following PreCentral for awhile in anticipation of getting it, so I've heard a LOT about the Oreo effect. But it seems to be common knowledge as to what it even is.

I know I don't want it, but I don't even know if I have it. And if I don't have it, is it something that will develop over time?

Thanks for humouring me. (And if this was answered somewhere right under my nose, please feel free to point that out.)

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    yeah, whats considered a serious Oreo effect? my wobbles a little.
    Think of an Oreo cookie. Now, think of twisting the top off so you can get at the creme filling. That twisting action is what's being referred to. So, if the top half of your Pre has some give and can twist a bit from side-to-side, then you've got the dreaded "Oreo effect".

I purchased my Pre this past Wednesday, and yup, I've got it. It's not horrible, nor do I see any indication that it's going to get worse, but it certainly doesn't instill faith in the solidity of this design. However, given that every other aspect of my Pre is fine (no dead pixels, no hot spots, blah, blah, blah), I'm hesitant to return it only to receive one that's in worse condition in exchange.

At some point this week I have to go back to Sprint to add another line to my plan (my mother), and while I'm there I plan on giving the Hero a good once over. I'm skeptical that its UI will be as intuitive and effective as WebOS, but from what I've read so far, the hardware is definitely more solid. Given that we're talking about a two-year commitment here, it might be worth it to forgo the spit and polish of WebOS for a device that can go the distance (I'm not particularly easy on my phones). We'll see...

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    I did notice that almost every Pre that I have played with is very poorly built. I mean, they could have done a little better job with the design or at least the slider so they don't feel like they are going to break. But on the other hand, the Hero has a great build and feel in the hand.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    So, should I consider a small 1-2 mm twist, cause to return?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    So, should I consider a small 1-2 mm twist, cause to return?
    Why would you ask anyone else that? Does it bug you? No? Then who cares?

A little give is to be expected otherwise you couldn't slide the keyboard anywhere.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    Why would you ask anyone else that? Does it bug you? No? Then who cares?

A little give is to be expected otherwise you couldn't slide the keyboard anywhere.
    yes it does bug me, but if this is the norm and doesn't get worse then i don't see a need to return it. But if this little wobble is definitely going to get worse, then yes there is cause for concern.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    If the twist effect bothers you a lot, I recommend you get a hard case from sprint (look for a thread "New Hard-Cover for Pre").

The downside is that it will add quite a volume to your phone, but upside is that once you put this on to your phone, it will become rock solid, I mean really really solid.

I guess it all depends on which aspects are more important to you... bulky vs. non-twist... I chose the latter to get peace of mind and I'm very satisfied with this case. I've tried all the methods that people suggested, none worked perfectly for me. IMO, this is the best solution out there so far.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Yes, my replacement Pre has a couple mm Oreo twist. It is annoying and makes it hard to use the power button with one hand. I am considering returning it here soon.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Used the phone insurance to replace my girlfriend's Pre (she dropped it before I could put a protective covering on it grrr), and her new one has a LOT of give between the screen and keyboard. In order to exchange, do I have to call customer care, or can I just take it into my local Sprint store for a replacement?
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by st0921 View Post
    If the twist effect bothers you a lot, I recommend you get a hard case from sprint (look for a thread "New Hard-Cover for Pre").

The downside is that it will add quite a volume to your phone, but upside is that once you put this on to your phone, it will become rock solid, I mean really really solid.

I guess it all depends on which aspects are more important to you... bulky vs. non-twist... I chose the latter to get peace of mind and I'm very satisfied with this case. I've tried all the methods that people suggested, none worked perfectly for me. IMO, this is the best solution out there so far.
    Actually I do have a innocase on it. I can tolerate the slight wobble. I just wonder if, for most people this was the start of something worse. If so are there pre's that dont do this at all.
    I have always had a minimal twist..1-2 mm... give or take and was constantly bothered by it.
    I have tinkered with the slider mechanism often and have been able to reduce the oreo effect and "loose feeling" substantially.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast