Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    Actually I do have a innocase on it. I can tolerate the slight wobble. I just wonder if, for most people this was the start of something worse. If so are there pre's that dont do this at all.
    Some people said that it got worse, some people said it's been consistent. Bottom line is that it will not affect the functionality of your phone, it's purely a hardware issue and mentality, and most pre's that i've seen had a bit-to-substantial amount of plays.

The innocase uses small tabs that go in between the top part and the bottom part, versus the sprint hard case wraps around the phone through external rails, so it holds the top and bottom parts tightly. in fact, some people complained that it is too tight, but with normal use of slider, it will get smoother.
    Okay, that's what I had assumed was intended by the "Oreo effect", but I wasn't sure. Thanks to everyone who cleared it up.

I think the reason that I wasn't sure if that's what it was, is because my new Pre (ordered Saturday via telesales, arrived Monday) does NOT have the Oreo effect. My Touch Pro had a lot more twist to it. This barely moves at all -- in fact, it's hard to slide up, so much so that I'm actually hoping it loosens up a little bit.

Or it could be that mine does indeed have the Oreo effect and I'm just oblivious and it doesn't bother me. But I tried twisting (gently, of course; I'm not about to damage it) and it doesn't really move at all.

So maybe I'm one of the fortunate ones, who knows.

/Kevin
    Last edited by commonplace; 10/13/2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typo
    I discovered the Oreo on my Pre about a week into it, and it seemed to get looser and looser. I waited till just a day before my 30 days was up, just to be sure I wanted to stick with the Pre before replacing it, and called and ordered a new one. They sent me a second phone in less than 2 days, no arguments. Second one also has Oreo, pretty much equal to the first. I decided to go ahead and activate the new one anyhow, since other than the annoying wiggle I'm in love with the damn phone, and to my surprise this one has given me the gift of Yahoo Messenger, which was my one BIG complaint about the software on the Pre. (Especially after webos update did not produce Yahoo Messenger, as was rumored )

Only problem now is, I can't seem to sign in on Yahoo. It just keeps twirling and twirling and telling me I'm signing in, but I never get anywhere. Is this some kind of cruel joke?? Anybody else find the mystery Yahoo Messenger in their phone??
    I've had mine since launch day and yes, I have a double stuffed Oreo! Hell, the gap is now over a millimeter. I stopped by a repair center to see if anything could be done about it and the Rep said "it was normal, especially if you have it in your pocket a lot without a case". Get it? Cuz its always slightly being opened and shut as you walk. Especially if you wear skinny jeans.

Looks like I'll be going to another repair store. I wish they could just tighten the damn thing, I hate having to switch out all my stuff.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I had 1-2mm clockwise-only oreo and a slight gap on the left side. I fixed it with the "tape fix" that someone posted here a couple months ago. I used a single piece of somewhat-thick black tape that was slick on the non-sticky side. Oreo is 100% gone. It's not a particularly elegant solution since it works by increasing the gap on the right side to equal the left. You can also see the edge of the tape when you look at the bottom of the phone. But I couldn't deal with the oreo and this solution was very effective at eliminating it entirely in my case.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa77 View Post
    I discovered the Oreo on my Pre about a week into it, and it seemed to get looser and looser. I waited till just a day before my 30 days was up, just to be sure I wanted to stick with the Pre before replacing it, and called and ordered a new one. They sent me a second phone in less than 2 days, no arguments. Second one also has Oreo, pretty much equal to the first.

?
    yeah this is where im at in my thinking, but I will just stick with this phone. sound like not matter what i do it will have some play.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    yeah this is where im at in my thinking, but I will just stick with this phone. sound like not matter what i do it will have some play.
    I got a 2nd phone too.
    Refurbished, like all the other replacements...
    And yes, oreo.

If we had gotten a new one, I think there would be no oreo.

It's so weird, cause my dad got a launch day and his is tight as can be.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I remember Palm talking about how important it was to them that there were no visible rails when the slider is open. I think that the need to hide the rails lead to a flimsy slider and oreo effect.
    Mines ~1mm. Tolerable, but dissappointing that it came this way out of the box 4 or 5 months into the product cycle. (Picked it up exacy a week ago.)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i have had bad luck with this. My first pre screen cracked and they replace it with a refurb. one and it had the "oreo" effect, complained enough and got it replcaed, with another refurb. pre. The one i got in also had a bad oreo effect, called *2 again and complained again, they told me they can only exchange 2 over the phone, now i have to go to the Sprint store and exchange them from now on. So i go to the sprint store and explain to them what is going on, to get the " oh thats common on all the slider type phones." I explain to them how my first phone didn't have this problem and i didn't pay that much for a phone to feel like its falling apart every time i grab it. Then i ask to see a new Pre out of the box, what do you know, no "oreo" so then the sprint store agrees to order me another refurb. phone. I was also told that when the newer refurb. phone comes in if I am not satisfied, sprint will let me get into a different phone with the full amount of credit that i spent on the pre cause i have been thru 4 pre phones all with problems. So we will wait and see. I really wanted to give palm the benefit of the doubt to improve the phone or at least fix this "oreo" effect at the refurb. factory, but no luck! I will keep y'all posted.............................................
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Rennat.Webs - Palm Pre Slider Fix

Try this guys. It's not that risky.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    This is something all Pre owners are going to have to accept. If build quality is more important than internal hardware and form factor, then I'd suggest giving it two weeks and trying out the Palm Pixi.
    I just swapped mine out due to the Oreo affect and a screw falling out and wedging it's self in the slider. So far 2 day the re-re-re-re-placement seems ok.
    I got my pre in late September, about 3 weeks in I complained to bell about that fact that it was twist way too much compared to the demo they had in store. According to bell it is not a common problem, which i found hard to believe. They sent me a new one which has a build date of September 7th. So far if you apply little force to twist it, it barely moves with a gap on the right side which is less than a mm, but if you apply more force it will move a little bit more. A funny thing with mine is that i when i got in a few days in i felt it getting loose, then i dropped it and it became firmer.
    is there any news on fixing the oreo problem and will sprint replace it
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    So far you can try this:
    Rennat.Webs - Palm Pre Slider Fix

Sprint will replace it if it is a heavy oreo and gap... and if under 30 days.
    If the above doesn't apply to you, then try that link... it has a pretty easy fix.
    mine only started after i put a hard case on it
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra977 View Post
    I had 1-2mm clockwise-only oreo and a slight gap on the left side. I fixed it with the "tape fix" that someone posted here a couple months ago. I used a single piece of somewhat-thick black tape that was slick on the non-sticky side. Oreo is 100% gone. It's not a particularly elegant solution since it works by increasing the gap on the right side to equal the left. You can also see the edge of the tape when you look at the bottom of the phone. But I couldn't deal with the oreo and this solution was very effective at eliminating it entirely in my case.
    Do you have a photo of that, please?
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    My 3rd Pre is having some major Oreo-ness. I'm gonna try and tighten the screws on the back. No hot glue yet. I'll let you guys know. I'd hate to try and find yet ANOTHER Pre.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    i got over it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast