Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. STNC
    Hi everyone,

So all of a sudden...my sms notifications won't play a sound on my Pre anymore....this has happened before, but I had to wipe my Pre to fix it...is there anything else I can do to try and get them back before I have to wipe my pre again?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I'm just going to go on a limb here. I assume that Play Sounds setting in Messaging is on, and that the ringer switch is on?
  3. STNC
    They are
    If it's the same case as with me, you need to uninstall the patch that lets you customize SMS notification sounds.
  5. STNC
    I did, and I restarted it, but no dice
    Did you happen to change the notification sound with it when it *was* installed? I know that with the LED notifications patch, even if you remove it, the LED notification stays because that patch just allows you to tweak a pre-existing setting.

All else fails, get rid of any other custom sound patches.
  7. STNC
    Well I had the patch installed, then a few hours later the sounds stopped playing, but the led notification would turn on. I removed it, and the sounds didn't come back. I reinstalled it changed the sound to a ringtone, and now the sounds play. The problem is the whole ringtone plays...so does anyone have the original 2 sounds that you can change with the sms sound tone patch?
    If you download Preload, you can get short sounds for sms tones. You can also download tones onto your computer, then on to your pre, obviously.
  9. STNC
    I have preware, where do I get preload?
    It's an application. You can get it on preware under applications. Or you can use QI or Filecoaster.
  11. STNC
    Does preload include the original sounds/will I be able to find them there?
    I don't think it does. There's another thread floating around that has those.
    I so want to install a number of those patches on my phone, but it's threads like this that keep me from doing it.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    For what its worth.. the notification sound is still in the Pre.

If you have cli access

cp /usr/palm/sounds/notification.wav /media/internal/ringtones

I would imagine you could also use Internalz to copy the file
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I so want to install a number of those patches on my phone, but it's threads like this that keep me from doing it.
    Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    Same here
    You're really missing out. I experienced the problem reported in this thread, removed the SMS Tone per Contact patch, restarted and am now back in business. This was one of 11 patches I have installed on two different PREs along with a bunch of homebrew apps ... and the first real issue I've had. Small price to pay for the usability enhancements I've enjoyed.

The PreCentral community is awesome. I check in multiple times an hour. If you get in a pinch, there are always others willing to help troubleshoot. With the quality of tools available (e.g. Preware, WebOS QuickInstall) and the knowledge/experience represented on these forums, there is no excuse for sitting on the sideline. Get over it! You'll be glad you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhawksr1 View Post
    You're really missing out.
    I second this. I've had a couple of glitches along the way, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by removing the patch (easily done via Preware). A lot of them are small tweaks that I probably could live without (date at the top of the screen), but some are essential (LED notification patch is my absolute favorite).

It's a completely different phone to me now, and it's only going to get better once more people start tweaking it.
    Ok, you guys have pushed me over the edge. I'll take the plunge tonight when I get home. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Ok, you guys have pushed me over the edge. I'll take the plunge tonight when I get home. Thanks.
    Do it!! I have something like 40 patches installed and haven't had any problems.Most of the people that have problems are people that aren't following directions. For example...people that don't have notification sounds after installing SMS tones don't have them because they haven't actually set a default tone in their sounds and ringers settings (I will admit that this took me a little while to figure out...).
    My default tone was already set to "notification.wav" and I still got no sound. I suppose I could have done the step in xenx's post above so that the notification file could be chosen from the list of ringtones, but removing the patch was much easier
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast