1.    #1  
    Glad Google has our back, I mean Palm...I mean both of them.

The crash raises reliability questions about cloud-based computing services, which deliver applications from remote servers accessible via the Internet. Businesses are likely to be more wary of using such systems,
    The sidekick holds no information in local storage, only in RAM. This would only affect the Pre if Palm's/Google's cloud data was lost AND your Pre crashed at the same time, and this would have to be a crash that wipes out all your data.

I am not worried. Embrace the future.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    What if their database got corrupt and deleted all our contacts. Then the Pre automatically synced to that blank database. That would kill the server copy and the local pre copy so all that's left is your desktop backup (which doesn't exist for many since there's no desktop sync)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    What if their database got corrupt and deleted all our contacts. Then the Pre automatically synced to that blank database. That would kill the server copy and the local pre copy so all that's left is your desktop backup (which doesn't exist for many since there's no desktop sync)
    You can still export a .csv file to hold from your gmail or use google sync to sync to Outlook (with or without exchange). Might not be as elegant as some syncing solutions, but it does create a backup.

nb
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    How many ppl in the world have lost their phone, dropped it in the toilet, had it break, etc and lost their contacts? Perhaps many more than this Sidekick debacle. I choose the cloud thank you very much.
    What if? What if? What if? What if a piece of wall plaster falls on my Pre, launching it into the air and it lands in a martini, lights aflame and burns down my house. Bloody freaking Internet Cloud!
    Hm, the way I understood is that the info is on the phone, but if you turn the Sidekick off or restart it for some reason, the Sidekick synchs with the server, and unfortunatly for Sidekick users, the Server wins and the data on the Sidekick gets synched with the nothingness that is on the server. That's poor programming. There should be other options available.
    Both my kids lost all their data. This was a bad deal, not just because of the data loss, but because of how they handled it. Weak notification a week after it happened. Both kids, logically rebooted their phones when things were amiss. Just what you shouldn't do in this situation, but no one knew about the situation! I learned more about in this forum than they did from T-Mobile. Today, they are going to try and get out of their contract and switch to another carrier.