1.    #1  
    I don't know where the best place to suggest patches is, but if someone would kindly tell me, I'll gladly resubmit this idea there.

In any case, my idea is simple. If there is a way for the OS to know whether the keyboard is slid out or not, I'd love to see that position used for answering and disconnecting calls. When the phone is ringing, opening the keyboard should function to answer the call, without any touching of the screen. Then, while on a call, closing the keyboard should disconnect the call, again, without any touching of the screen needed.

As a result of this patch, I imagine it would be impossible to place a call while the keyboard was closed, but that doesn't strike me as a problem. At all.
    I agree- this would be a great OPTION. Sure it will appeal to some and others not- but love the idea myself- especially when my touchscreen is so spotty to use at the moment.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by je255j View Post
    I don't know where the best place to suggest patches is, but if someone would kindly tell me, I'll gladly resubmit this idea there.

In any case, my idea is simple. If there is a way for the OS to know whether the keyboard is slid out or not, I'd love to see that position used for answering and disconnecting calls. When the phone is ringing, opening the keyboard should function to answer the call, without any touching of the screen. Then, while on a call, closing the keyboard should disconnect the call, again, without any touching of the screen needed.

As a result of this patch, I imagine it would be impossible to place a call while the keyboard was closed, but that doesn't strike me as a problem. At all.
    My Samsung i730 had that, I loved it, and used it all of the time. The Pre is the first portrait slide I've had since then, and can't imagine why it's not implemented on it. Seems like a no brainer to me!
    There are two sensors for the slide, and the OS even keeps track of how many times you open and close the slider. Would be relatively easy to answer with an open signal. Should even be relatively easy to put in a simple "If sliderDuringCall=Open then sliderClosedDuringCall=Hangup" obviously with the apppropriate coding to support it within the phone app (so as not to introduce un needed lag and processes in the OS itself). That should allow you to make a call with it closed, as well as open the keyboard during a call to do something and use the slider to end it. Heck, you could even get nifty and make it an option to ask before ending call upon slider closure, as well as an option to do it period. Problem is, its a lot of coding, and more importantly, a lot of time.
    I slide open my phone to answer it without touching anything else. It doesn't hang up when I close it.
    I can answer by sliding
  7.    #7  
    I did not know slide to answer worked. I'm pretty sure that does not work for me.

In any case, that's only half the battle. I'd also like to see close to hang up, and that I know for certain doesn't work.

Based on what Centro85 is saying, this functionality (plus quite a bit more) could be possible. I just wish I knew how to code.
  8.    #8  
    Woohoo! Look what exists!

Unofficial patch lets you hang up Palm Pre calls by closing the slider

Thank you, KeyToss!

I want credit for having asked first. ;-)

EDIT: Just posting back to say I have installed and tested it. Works like a charm! Yay!
    Last edited by je255j; 10/20/2009 at 12:34 PM.
    1) Pre already answers when opening the slider.

2) Ending Calls -> There's a patch for that.
    Well technically since the pre already answers call when you open it I had you beat by about a month je255j

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...send-text.html

that link doesnt seem to be working but Ill try again.

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/201041-slide-end-call-slide-send-text.htm

damn still know luck. I promise it's there though LOL I posted about a month ago asking if we could get something for sliding close to end calls. Even better would be sliding close to send texts!

No worries though I am just glad the patch is here!
    Last edited by bjeremi; 10/20/2009 at 02:43 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Ooo, slide to send text. I like that idea too.

Alright, you can have credit for inspiring this patch.
    Sweet!