1.    #1  
    Since patches seem like stuff Palm hasn't gotten to yet in webOS, why not make a web-based "Palm Pre Advanced Options" that is a web front-end to Patches? Seems like a quick and easy way to add functionality without the rigmarole of incorporating them into a webOS update and keeping the interface simple. That way, novice and non-tinkering types can have access to some of these "missing" features of our devices...
    Hmmm, why don't we suggest they call it Preware or webOS Quick Installer? Oh, that's right we already have those tools.

I see what you are getting at, but in order to apply the patches it requires access to the Pre that you can't get just from downloading it from the Web.

And, what do they do when something goes wrong? People will be needing their Pre's to be webOS doctored all the time. That would seem like a public relations nightmare to me. I think they like it just the way it is. Those who want to tinker can and do at their own risk, those who can't must wait for updates to the OS.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Hmmm, why don't we suggest they call it Preware or webOS Quick Installer? Oh, that's right we already have those tools.

I see what you are getting at, but in order to apply the patches it requires access to the Pre that you can't get just from downloading it from the Web.

And, what do they do when something goes wrong? People will be needing their Pre's to be webOS doctored all the time. That would seem like a public relations nightmare to me. I think they like it just the way it is. Those who want to tinker can and do at their own risk, those who can't must wait for updates to the OS.
    I understand that WebOS Qi and Preware are simple once you get them installed. It does require some savvy to get over that hump, though. Many are afraid or not willing to invest the time to find out what patches or homebrew is. Doing so over the web and making the patches browse-able makes them appear more legit and less "hackery" to the average user.
    ....hell, they don't even need to call them patches, just advanced beta options or something....

The reason for my post is this... there's a lot of press out there that the Pre doesn't have "this" or "that" feature...but it does, Palm just hasn't turned them on. There are many who returned their Pre or won't even consider it because some of these features are not in release. I suspect that Palm's engineers are working on other aspects of webOS (like the app catalog, for instance) that require attention, thus haven't got around to these options we call patches.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 10/12/2009 at 03:47 PM.
    If Palm gave you the tools to do that, then they'd have to support it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If Palm gave you the tools to do that, then they'd have to support it.
    or they can do the standard CYA and call it "BETA"
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    They should just support Preware in the App Catalog, giving users the option for a "paid" App Catalog and then have Preware support open applications, patches, and themes. They won't do it since they didn't come up with Preware, but ideally that would be perfect. We sort of already have it this way, but if Palm facilitated support to Preware as well then we would see many more applications arrive sooner and the distinction between paid and free will be much easier.