Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I used WebOS Quick INstall to install Package Manager, then rebooted my Pre and then afterward used WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.

When I launch Preware I get an error message saying that: "The Package manager Service is not running. Did you remember to install it? If you did, perhaps you should try rebooting our phone."

When I click OK on the error message, Preware opens but all the items are grayed out and inaccessible.

I have tried rebooting but still get he same error.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help?
    Delete and reinstall the app. I saw this before 1.2

If that does not fix it then I'm out of ideas Unless its a patch issue. Also make sure its the latest versions of the apps! (Preware & PM)

I JUST reinstalled mine last night. I had no issues.
    I am having the same problem. I did as you said, delet and reinstalled. Same error comes up. Any other suggestions?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    did you restart after you deleted, prior to re-reinstalling? I had this issue as well
    Yes. Even tried rebooting after each uninstall and each re-install.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I used WebOS Quick INstall to install Package Manager, then rebooted my Pre and then afterward used WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.

When I launch Preware I get an error message saying that: "The Package manager Service is not running. Did you remember to install it? If you did, perhaps you should try rebooting our phone."

When I click OK on the error message, Preware opens but all the items are grayed out and inaccessible.

I have tried rebooting but still get he same error.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help?

I had the same problem when I updated preware! The only fix for me was a trip to the doctor! I know it sucks but it works! It even made my palm much more snappier..
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    what do you mean a trip to the doctor???? you mean the program that restores the phone to factory settings?
    I am having the same problem. I had my Pre set up pretty cool then this morning it made me log-in to palm and since then I can't get Preware to start up. Worse yet, I don't have sound for my ringtones and/or music. Any suggestions???
    I got the same message. saying that i needed the new package manager service. I could not figure out how to upgrade. ended up deleting preware from the pre by mistake.. and now i cannot re install it even using webos quick install software.. when i look in the device management it says that i hace package manager service 0.9.7 but no preware even though i downloaded it and installed it with webos quick install. please help!
    I had the exact same problem and found a posting in the 'Preware' thread with a fix that worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Original post by t_stallion on 10/13/09
    =================
    Hey, looks like I found a way to make this work, not really a fix.
    1. Downloaded latest verson of Quick Install (2.81) aka QI.

2. Uninstalled Package Manager Service and Preware via QI and restarted device

3. Manually uninstalled all tweaks via QI and restrarted device.

4. Manually Uninstalled all patches via QI and restarted device.

5. Installed Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR) and restated device numerous times until it was gone. Some instructions for the EPR state that it is suppose to uninstall itself. I noticed this was not happening so I restared the device until it no longer showed up. This patch is found in QI/Tools/Tweaks/Online Repository/Emergency Patch Recovery. After I installed it, I did not see any change on the device nor did it prompt me that anything was done. I check to see if it was there by going to QI/Tools/Device Management/ and looking under Applications. After restart you check to see if it is still there by accessing QI/Tools/Device Management/ and looking under Applications. If it is still there restart until it no longer shows up.

6. Recheck everything in QI to make sure everiythig has been uninstalled and nothing was missed especially tweaks I notice some tweaks did not go away until EPR uninstalled.

7. Install Package Manager Service via QI and restart device.

8. Install Preware via QI and restart device. I did not open Preware until after restart.

Mine worked from there. I have been able to install apps, tweaks and themes.

Hope this helps.
    ==================

The one thing I did different from the above is after restarting my phone about 8 times the 'Emergency Patch Recovery' application did not uninstall itself so I used Device Management and uninstalled it manually.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post1974218
    i tried the above and still cannot get preware on my pre... Package Manager Service is already in but no preware. on line number 5 it says install Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR). but as you read the paragraph it seems that you are suppossed to uninstall it.. which is it? I did no intall EPR.
    thank you
    Use The WebOS Doctor (latest) and start from there.

Btw, did you read the wiki info on Preware that states you need to change repositories and download the latest package manager, etc....or has that situation changed with the latest updates?
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 10/19/2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: updated..
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I had a similar problem. I got the error about pms not running, so I unistalled pms and preware. Then I re-installed pms, but I could not install preware after multiple reboots and trying to reinstall many times. I ended up installing preware with their alpha installer I found in the thread and it worked 1st with the exe installer
    I'm having the same problem. Preware was stuck in "Updating Version", so I tried uninstalling and re-installing. I have the PMS, but can't get Preware back again.
    If the above doesn't work for you then unfortunately you may have to use WebOS Doctor. I didn't want to do that because it wipes out all data and this fix worked for me.

In step 5 it states to run EPR so it can remove all patches. The problem that t_stallion had, as well as myself, is that EPR would not uninstall. When you run EPR it's suppose to install, run, and then uninstall itself. You should never see it as an application under Device Management. t_stallion got rid of EPR by restarting his phone. I tried restarting mine 8 times to no avail so I used Device Management to uninstall it.

Before following the above steps I tried for hours to get PMS to run and couldn't. I uninstalled and re-installed more times than I can remember. Essentially, what the above steps are asking to do is to set your phone back to a pre-patched Pre.

If you're sensitive about your data being erased and don't want to run WebOS doctor, like I am, try running the WebOS Repair Utility and changing any files it identifies back to the stock files that came with the Pre. Use QI to ensure there are no patches or tweaks installed. Restart your phone and then follow the steps to install the latest version of Preware. If that doesn't work then the Doctor is probably your best option.
    i would like to try anything before webos doctor. what is the WebOS repair utility and how do I get to it.

thanks..
    Sorry, been away for a few days. Not sure if you found it already but here is the answers to your question and a link to RU.

The WebOS Repair Utility is a program that compares your Pre's files against the files in WebOS Doctor. WebOS Doctor is published by Palm, whereas WebOS Repair Utility was written by Jason Robitaille. You can get the latest version here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html

Be sure to download the latest WebOS Doctor as well....the version compatible with WebOS 1.2.1, which is what you should be running.

Hope this helps you get Preware installed.
    =================

how do you uninstall package manager service using QI?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonzilla View Post
    =================

how do you uninstall package manager service using QI?
    Under Device Management in QI, it will list all the applications you have installed. Select Package Manager Service and then click Uninstall.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I deleted Package Manager and Preware from QI, deleted my theme and patches through QI. Ran EPR and uninstalled it. Then I upgraded to 1.3.1. I, then, installed Package Manager and rebooted. I installed Preware and rebooted. Still get Package Manager Service is not running. I can't run Repair because I'm now on 1.3.1. This just happened all of a sudden about 5 days ago, and I've tried everything that's been suggested. What is the problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast