Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I went to the Sprint store today and played with the Hero which by the way was NOT sold out.....I was not impressed. First thing I noticed was the colors on the screen is not as good as the Pre. Second while playing with the widgets I realize I would miss swiping the card away...I would also miss the swiping on the gesture area. If the Pre didn't exist.....then the Hero would be my phone. Palm raised the bar to the point that it would have to be an extraordinary phone to make me move. The excitement the Pre gave me was not the case with Hero allbeit it seems to be a good phone....imo....PRE wins.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    oh.....by the way.....the Hero is ugly.
    As a previous HTC hermes owner.. I couldn't see using one of their phones again.
    I was ready to get a hero but not getting flash till 2010 and no tethering is just not gonna cut it. The Pre should get flash before and you can tether I think I'll get another Pre (gave the first one to the wife). I do like the euro version of the hero better. I am looking forward to having a real keyboard again, the virtual ones suck I don't care what anyone says for me they just don't cut it.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I tried the keyboard today and I was able to accurately use it....the deal breaker keeping me with Pre is the smoothness of the UI.
    One of the reasons I'm moving away from my current phone (Touch Pro) is that it's made by HTC. I'm sick of HTC and their problems. I know Palm has their own problems, but at least they're trying. I've had the PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, and now Touch Pro, and you know what? That's it. I can't keep complaining about HTC phones if I keep buying them. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... three... four times... well, shame on me. So I'm done with HTC for at least awhile.

My Pre arrived today -- I can hardly wait to play with it when I get home!

/Kevin
    Long, if you don't want to read it then don't bother commenting on it.

I have both right now and have been comparing them side by side for 5 days now. (early access to the device.)

Right now the only thing I would miss from the Pre is the keyboard. I find myself waiting less and using less movements with the hero when compared to the Pre's gestures and cards. Cards are nice, gestures feel gimmicky to me at times. Especially when they don't work like they should (eg. scrolling down in a web site and accidently opening the wifi window)

The Hero is faster and has far more options / refinement in just about every way. The software keyboard, like the Pre's physical one will take some getting used to and for a really heavy texter I'd give the nod to the Pre but for someone like me that really doesn't text all that much its not a huge issue (15 a day or so).

I'm enjoying the home screens, they are essentially just like cards, require about as much effort to use and even with the dated Hardware on the hero it out performs the Pre in almost all of my tests thus far which says a lot about how its Palm's own OS causing most of the issues and not he hardware.

Synergy on the Pre is a joke. I plugged my Gmail info in and it works exactly like on the Pre except I also have a true desktop sync option available to me as well without using multiple different programs for all my needs.

Signal strength overall seems about 10-15% stronger on the Hero when comparing RSSI and EC data.

Battery life is no comparison, a winner for the Hero with the same settings as the Pre. Even with everyting on and most stuff off on the Pre the Hero still has better battery life.

The built in programs are all superior, photos, email, browser, messaging, contacts etc all work better on the hero and with less lag, stuttering, no checker boarding, more options etc. I was happy to be able to specify download size of emails, delete multiple messages at once, threaded emails, not wait 3-4 seconds for a full rez picture to show in the album, no checker boarding in the browser even with flash enabled, video recording is better than expected on the hero but still needs some work but better than nothing, integration with google voice is top notch obviously, the app store is obviously superior, the build quality is great, the glass screen > plastic one and touch sensitivity is also better over the Pre as a whole. The track ball > gesture for copy paste / selecting text / moving the cursor. Hardware buttons > gestures since they always work and always do what they are supposed to do.

Not having all your animations firing off at 10-15fps is also nice, the same with scrolling, I'll never understand why Palm decided to add animations when the system just can't draw them fast enough without hardware acceleration add further lag to a device that really doesn't need anymore. Obviously the Pre lacks the options to turn this off because lets face it, there really aren't many options.

The few annoyances I have with the hero are:

The browser defaulting to zoom view. Not a huge deal but something I would prefer to change.

Having to relearn how to type on a virtual keyboard, I prefer the physical ones

Like the Pre you need to keep an eye on what you are using, if you open everything up naturally the device will lag, although the Hero lags significantly less than the Pre in every situation I've been able to put it in. There are also significantly fewer memory leaks (haven't noticed memory issues thus far even leaving stuff open, unlike the Pre)

Fortunately there is an easy app called task killer which is free and requires a simple push to close what you don't want open.

Lack of a week view on the calendar will take some getting used to, Agenda view is close but not exactly the same. A ton more options and speed of the app make this omission tolerable. Hopefully they add it in a future update.

Thus far I'll be playing with both for a week and making a decision. I am heavily leaning towards the hero simply because Palm has far to much on its plate to make any significant steps in the immediate future feature wise. IF they are smart they will put all of their energy into making the SDK less gimped and offer deeper system access so Pre users get apps that are actually worth a damn. What we have now is mostly junk with an odd gem. They should also put the remainder of their effort into using the devices own hardware acceleration by developing the proper drivers. These two items by themselves will likely take until summer to address. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything ground breaking until after these two major flaws are addressed.

I think they have at least a year of somewhat mediocrity before most of the major programs shipping on the Pre get the TLC they really need. 1.2 was certainly a small step in the right direction but there is just so much more work to be done when compared to other platforms. If Palm had started out with a open SDK with decent system access coded in something other than Java script they might have been able to lean on third parties like the did with the Treo line. Unfortunately the misstep of neutering the SDK will be a costly one in the end. Something that will have to be addressed before many serious developers come to the system that desperately needs the love now, not in a year when Palm finally removes its head from its rectum.

I may keep my Pre, still not 100% sure on it but thus far I'm having a better experience on the Hero.

Everyone's experience is a personal one, I don't expect nor do I care if the PDF (Pre defense force) understand that. Opinions are like holes, we all have them.
    Last edited by Aridon; 10/12/2009 at 01:19 PM.
    The Hero looks like an amazing phone. I'm surprised at all the hate for it in this thread. It's a little sluggish from many of the reviews I've seen but so is the Pre (I mean, we have to wait for the render engine to parse and render HTML / CSS / JSJSJS $with$ $everything$).

I'm excited about it but I think I'll hold off until a better, faster Android device is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    The Hero looks like an amazing phone. I'm surprised at all the hate for it in this thread. It's a little sluggish from many of the reviews I've seen but so is the Pre (I mean, we have to wait for the render engine to parse and render HTML / CSS / JSJSJS $with$ $everything$).

I'm excited about it but I think I'll hold off until a better, faster Android device is released.
    Just for the record, I don't hate the Hero. I tried it in the store and thought it was pretty nice.

I wasn't seriously considering it due to the lack of hardware keyboard, but it wouldn't have mattered -- I've sworn off HTC products for the time being. I've given HTC enough of my money (via Sprint products) and been dissatisfied with each one. Maybe the Hero wouldn't have the same issues as their other models, but I'm not spending my money to find out, you know?

/Kevin
    Meh I think the HTC Hero is pretty damn over-hyped. It doesn't seem one step above or below the Pre overall really. Kind of like a waste of money if you already have a Pre...but that's just my opinion. I'll get an Android phone when that sucker comes with a Snapdragon CPU, which can't be long really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    I'll get an Android phone when that sucker comes with a Snapdragon CPU, which can't be long really.

The only problem is battery tech is not there to support those types of processors in the form factors we have been buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    If Palm had started out with a open SDK with decent system access coded in something other than Java script they might have been able to lean on third parties like the did with the Treo line. Unfortunately the misstep of neutering the SDK will be a costly one in the end. Something that will have to be addressed before many serious developers come to the system that desperately needs the love now, not in a year when Palm finally removes its head from its rectum.
    I couldn't disagree more with this part of the statement. Releasing a more powerful SDK would have helped in the short run, but holding off, forcing some developers to use the interface will pay off in the long run. Look up the thread from the folks that do Teal, and that might give you a slightly different insight.

I think 3-4 months now, we will have hundreds of decent Web OS interface apps. A year from now (assuming Plam does release a more powerful SDK), we'll have experience programmers in both camps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The only problem is battery tech is not there to support those types of processors in the form factors we have been buying.
    The few *leaked* pictures of the Leo seem just fine for me = - ). Again it depends how reliable they are but then again I hardly think they can be to far off.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    good for you! welcome to the Pre community.The pre will get better, in fact, is going the right directions and will become awesome phone.
    My phone is a Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    One of the reasons I'm moving away from my current phone (Touch Pro) is that it's made by HTC. I'm sick of HTC and their problems. I know Palm has their own problems, but at least they're trying. I've had the PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, and now Touch Pro, and you know what? That's it. I can't keep complaining about HTC phones if I keep buying them. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... three... four times... well, shame on me. So I'm done with HTC for at least awhile.

My Pre arrived today -- I can hardly wait to play with it when I get home!

/Kevin
    Coming from a TP to the Pre myself I believe you will be very happy with your decision. The ONLY thing I miss from the TP was the larger keyboard as I have big fingers. That said everything else about the Pre simply blows away the TP.
    I was ready to get a hero but not getting flash till 2010 and no tethering is just not gonna cut it.
    Hero does support flash (although it's a lite version). Hero does support tethering -- pg 98 of the manual:
    Your device's data capabilities enable you to use its high-speed data connection as a modem for your laptop computer.
    The manual goes on to note that you have to install HTC Sync on the computer you want to tether the Hero to.