Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    These threads are fun. It's like a shouting match between deaf people.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you are actually insulted or offput by a quip I made about Palm?

How about this instead:

"Palm should get ONE form factor perfected and rock solid before branching out."

Dull, but I guess it won't hurt anyone's feelings.
    Upcoming changes made to the Pre will not be hardware changes (unless they make a newer version - which is likely).

OS modifications not only will benefit both devices, but the fact that they're being developed for multiple devices will further enhance the ability to expand the OS to other hardware devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    How about this one, what you're saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The hparsons quip was that you are offput by him, yet he makes sense when he posts, his posts are always well thought out, whereas this post of yours is not.
    You would think that being that you agree with that perspective. What I'm saying makes perfect sense, but hey...if it's not clicking for you, so be it.

Next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I think they've waited long enough to release the Pixi, not to mention it seems the Pixi was already being developed alongside the Pre, just at different stages. I don't think the plan they seem to have is a bad one by any means.
    Time will tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Missed deadlines (and an announced release date) is suicide for a small company. I suspect that's why Palm does not talk about what's coming up on the horizon.

Not announcing my hurt, announcing and missing would kill them. And when you're small, it's much more difficult to accurately predict when you will finish projects.
    C'mon..Palm doesn't have to be specific with release dates.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

yup

"the first half of 2009".
    or
    "Ready for the Holiday Season"
    or
    "releasing this fall season"
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If they add more memory ( 16 Gig Pre) or SD card slot ,
    folks on this forum are going to be mad.

We are going to behave like the early iPhone customers :-).

Only difference is ( IMO) this forum members are more knowledgeable about Mobile in general than the early iPhone adapters.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't know that the Pixi takes programming resources away from the Pre. I suspect there are very few fundamental differences in the programming. So, it's really not pulling resources away (or at least, not many).

Using your Pizza place resturant, they're not adding another location, they're adding a delivery service. Additional hardware, but they're still making pizza, just for more customers.
    You seem determined to be Pro Palm at all costs. I'm surprised you don't have a cape on with a giant Palm logo on the back while you post on here

Are you really trying to say that the Pixi didn't take much in resources? It's a new phone, a new form factor for palm, different guts, different size and resolution screen, etc. It takes marketing, testing, reaching out to carriers, promotions, blah blah blah. Any changes to webOS now have to be tested for the Pixi. Apps have to be designed for a low end Pixi different resolution and all. It slows down a young OS struggling to get out of beta.

Someone on here said palm had like 1000 employees. Those employees wrapped up with the pixi could be focusing on the Pre, the beta app catalog, optimizing webOS, and whatnot.

More customers? The Pre was already set up for it. Sell the 8gb for 79-99. Introduce a 32gb for 199. Launch more carriers..that's costly enough at first. Each has different requirements. Each foreign market requires marketing, promotions, etc.

Learned lesson? Palm sold the centros in bulk and for cheap (and on SERO). They still couldn't post a profit. You can't compete with the teen favored messenging phones in that range that don't require data plans that this Pixi will.
    Hate to say it, but after using the Hero since Sunday, I don't think I'll be going back to the Pre.
    I had the Pre since close to launch and really loved it, but it has some limitations and it's been a bit slow.

The first day in I was sure I was going back to the Pre, but after spending some time with the phone and seeing the capabilities this thing has I just don't think I'd be able to go back to the Pre.

I get a much better signal with the Hero, I can actually sync with two bluetooth devices (one for phone, one for stereo audio), I thought Augmented Reality apps were just cool.. but after using them they're SO useful.

The hero does my Gmail (obviously) and Exchange flawlessly.

I do like the gestures on the Pre, the hardware keyboard and Synergy but the Hero has similar capabilities to Synergy (although not all of the features), really the hardware keyboard is probably the only thing I miss after only three days with the device.

Don't get me wrong, the Pre is AWESOME, but Android is just a more mature platform and for my needs the Hero is more capable.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Another thread of useless arguments.......some like the Pre, some don't. Who cares? If it works for you great, if it doesn't go to some phone that does and post on those forums.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I used to be convinced I was going to buy an HTC Touch Pro II but after I got married and went in to upgrade my phone and add my wife, we both love'd the Palm Pre. And the anything anytime plan just makes me want to stay put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    These threads are fun. It's like a shouting match between deaf people.
    What did you say? Can't hear you ...
    Umm...no. LOL

I think of a mainstream user kinda like my wife and picture many being existing sprint users that probably used centros, instincts, or dumbphones. They don't use forums. They're happy with the browser, camera, sms, and multitouch screen. App catalog probably gets barely used except from time to time but has a few apps like pandora and a game or two. Calendar is probably hardly used. Not much concern about PIMS.

I would say one thing my wife uses now, and didn't use much on the Centro, is email. She loves the notifications and how its full html.

To get music synced, she uses itunes sync. Movies or video she's never fooled with and wouldn't know how to format them to be played by a Pre.

These people are probably ecstatic over the Pre. It really is a big improvement vs those types of phones listed above.

EDIT: These same ones would be further blown away with quality video/audio recording. This is what i mean by value added update. Palm needs this. What i mean is this. My wife hasn't noticed hardly any significance with 1.1 or 1.2 updates other than "hey, that sounds different"..referring to the notification ding"
    I have to disagree. Audio/Video recording is an accepted norm, especially now that the iPhone has it. I think more potential customers are turned off by the lack of it (or surprised when they discover it's not there) than will be "blown away" once Palm finally adds it. Same for the App catalog. Apple's incescent "There's an app for that." ads only highlight the lack of a decent selection of apps (even if they're just fart apps and games) for the Pre.

The bar has been raised for the "norm" for smartphones, and the Pre still falls below that bar when compared to it's competition. And even people moving up from dumbphones will compare the Pre not just to their old phone, but to the other offerings from Sprint, AT&T, etc.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Well it's to be expected in a brand new OS with limited revisions.
    God, I just love this response. Maybe it's even true. But it's also meaningless. Palm has to compete against today's iPhone, Hero, MyTouch, etc. Those of us on this forum may be perfectly content to wait for Palm to catch up, but the typical buyer is going to compare these phones and say "What, the Pre won't record video?" Etc.

The marketplace won't wait for Palm to get it right. The window of opportunty is closing a little more every day.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I remember your posts way back from the Pre's announcement till the release date. Yes you were the most ardent supporter of Pre. I am with you on the "no Lag" thing. I don't want an iPhone but I want a device that can be as quick and as good as an iPhone. Fortunately the platform is good for 10 year (in Jon Ruby's words). Things are not happening quick inside PALM. Thats because they have only a thousand employees.
    Compare that with RIM, with15 K and APPLE with employees upwards of 30K.

So patience is whats needed at this time.
    Apple could afford to wait. They were the 800 lb gorilla in the space. With little real competition in sales, they didn't need cut and paste, or video recording. Palm doesn't have that luxury. They're the 100lb weaking on the beach, and the bullies are going to start kicking sand in their face(s) real soon now. It's hard to argue video isn't important when ALL of your competitors offer it.
    Bob Meyer
    YOU CANNOT ADD YAHOO TO HERO.

Pay yahoo 19.99 for plus services. Which will activate you account for POP3 yahoo mail.

I am glad I have Pre and I am staying with PALM.
    But you can access your Yahoo email via the web interface, just like you do on a desktop.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
    I used to be convinced I was going to buy an HTC Touch Pro II but after I got married and went in to upgrade my phone and add my wife, we both love'd the Palm Pre. And the anything anytime plan just makes me want to stay put.
    Huh? The same plan is available for all Sprint phones. That's not a reason to prefer one phone over another.
    Bob Meyer
    Really? Look how "general" they were with the Pre. They announced a six month time frame, met it, and were belittled for not releasing from about 3 months out.

I think it's been fun to watch them not talk about the stuff. Pundit says "Palm will never be not make their six month promise", and bingo, it's out a couple weeks later. Pundit says "Palm will fail in the corporate world, because it doesn't implment advanced EAS features" and bingo, it's out a couple weeks later. One of the funniest, that even was stated on this forum (which I still think is by far, the best resource for the Pre, or anything Palm) was pundit says "Looks like Palm has given up on the iTunes battle, since the latest update doesn't have it" bingo, a few days later, it's back.

Face it, if Palm had announced a time frame on any of these things and missed them, it would have been a major issue. I strongly suspect that's a big part of the silence from Palm.

Even the naysayers about the number of units sold have begun to look like they've missed the mark...
    If they add more memory ( 16 Gig Pre) or SD card slot ,
    folks on this forum are going to be mad.

We are going to behave like the early iPhone customers :-).

Only difference is ( IMO) this forum members are more knowledgeable about Mobile in general than the early iPhone adapters.
    Not this one... My wife is going to love her "new" Pre (that I've taken very good care of), and I'll get my even newer model
    I am staying also!!!!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast