Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

But they're going to need to do more than that. Expecting your customers to simply sit idle and have faith that new features and bug fixes will be rolled out in a timely fashion is silly. The Hero has already snatched away potential Sprint customers for Pre, and the Moment will take more. The more cards Palm lays on the table about how they plan to become competitive with these handsets and WHEN, the better chance they stand of keeping afloat.

I remember your posts way back from the Pre's announcement till the release date. Yes you were the most ardent supporter of Pre. I am with you on the "no Lag" thing. I don't want an iPhone but I want a device that can be as quick and as good as an iPhone. Fortunately the platform is good for 10 year (in Jon Ruby's words). Things are not happening quick inside PALM. Thats because they have only a thousand employees.
    Compare that with RIM, with15 K and APPLE with employees upwards of 30K.

So patience is whats needed at this time.

After all, iPhone folks waited two plus years to get the "cut and paste".

I am not saying we should wait that long for PALM to improvise. But the company is thin on their employees. The good thing is they now have startup culture.

On the the other note , wife's Hero couldn't have yahoo email !!!! sucks.
    There is no yahoo IMAP support on Hero.
    You have to pay Yahoo 19 dollars to get Yahoo let use pop3.

And this is 2009, Yahoo is the largest email provider on earth with 300 million accounts. You can access yahoo mail from any platform ( WinMo, Symbian, RIMM, WebOS even that Intinct) sans Android.
    Whether the pixie is good idea or not (i say not), i suppose what concerns me is Palm even spending their limited resources on it. They have a killer (but unfinished) product in the Pre. It wasn't greatly executed on Sprint, but they are just now pushing it to other carriers which of course takes time, focus, & considerable upfront cost.

I'd rather see them concentrate efforts on the Pre, webOS updates, sdk, app catalog and selling it. Another device so soon while the OS and apps are still beta isn't a great idea to me. It's also a device that will have to be sold in great number since it goes the cheaper route. It means a bigger headache and more time to update the OS and sdk because now they have two devices to consider with different guts & screens. And they're still working on trying to utilize the Pre's processor let alone worry about the Pixi's.

They could've easily pushed the 8gb Pre cheaper while introducing a 32gb version if they want to pursue the low price market. This keep things simple while they rush to get the foundation more solid.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/14/2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Their tentative position and small size should be all the more reason why they have to put out LOTS of information about what's coming down the pike and when.

If there's one thing that cash-poor startups do well, it's tell any and everybody about what amazing things they're going to be doing in the near future.

There is ZERO benefit in keeping their cards close to their vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Good review, my experience is different.

I spend about an hour to add yahoo email with no luck. I kept getting messages that there is no way to validate my credentials. The imap server was using no encryption, I put to SSL. Still issues.

Also the browser flash didn't work on CNN site.

I have a question for you , do you have yahoo account ? were you able to add it to the email ?
    I had a hard time adding my yahoo account to the Hero. It wold tell me that user name or password did not match or some other error mesage. Then when I got it to accept my yahoo account, it would not sync. There seems to be some glitch.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not wanting the top secret specs & preview pics of the next Pre 2 or anything..that's silly. Just some hints of what they're looking at doing for the current Pre in the short term.

Let's face it. Apple and RIM don't do it because they don't have to.

But i'm guessing there will be some upset people if Palm doesn't enable some missing features by end of year. That will have been 7 months of having faith.
    Well, while we did song and dance
    and now cursing PALM, our gripes won't make it to the top.

The critical mass lies with mainstream folks.

I bet the moment they break the 1 million barrier ( I believe they might have by now) things will start rolling quicker. With the GSM Pre being introduced , I will say Pre will reach 2 million sales figures.

I spotted few unlocked on Ebay for $ 750.00.
    Next thing you know the price falls to $ 200 - 300 range, and you see folks on ATT , TMobile using them here in US.
    Whether the pixie is good idea or not (i say not), i suppose what concerns me is Palm even spending their limited resources on it. They have a killer product in the Pre. It wasn't greatly executed on Sprint, but they are just now pushing it to other carriers which of course takes time, focus, & considerable upfront cost.

I'd rather see them concentrate efforts on the Pre, webOS updates, sdk, app catalog and selling it. Another device so soon while the OS and apps are still beta isn't a great idea to me. It's also a device that will have to be sold in great number since it goes the cheaper route. It means a bigger headache and more time to update the OS and sdk because now they have two devices to consider with different guts & screens. And they're still working on trying to utilize the Pre's processor let alone worry about the Pixi's.

They could've easily pushed the 8gb Pre cheaper while introducing a 32gb version if they want to pursue the low price market. This keep things simple while they rush to get the foundation more solid.
    I disagree. More products=more choice for consumers=more money for Palm in the long run. The more money they can make, whether it's on the Pre or the Pixi, the more they can put into development, advertising, and hiring more employees. I also think the Pre form factor doesn't appeal to a lot of people, where the Pixi would.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Whether the pixie is good idea or not (i say not), i suppose what concerns me is Palm even spending their limited resources on it. They have a killer product in the Pre. It wasn't greatly executed on Sprint, but they are just now pushing it to other carriers which of course takes time, focus, & considerable upfront cost.

I'd rather see them concentrate efforts on the Pre, webOS updates, sdk, app catalog and selling it. Another device so soon while the OS and apps are still beta isn't a great idea to me. It's also a device that will have to be sold in great number since it goes the cheaper route. It means a bigger headache and more time to update the OS and sdk because now they have two devices to consider with different guts & screens.
    The single most important factor in selling Pixie is the price point.

Its inferior to Pre in terms of processor ( speed), screen (2.5 inch vs 3.1 ) and camera (2 MP as opposed to 3MP) . Plus it loses wifi chip.

With the Pre's price falling to a $ 99 range , I wonder how much they will charge for the Pixie ? $ 49.99 ? Might be .
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrown1275 View Post
    I had a hard time adding my yahoo account to the Hero. It wold tell me that user name or password did not match or some other error mesage. Then when I got it to accept my yahoo account, it would not sync. There seems to be some glitch.
    YOU CANNOT ADD YAHOO TO HERO.

Pay yahoo 19.99 for plus services. Which will activate you account for POP3 yahoo mail.

I am glad I have Pre and I am staying with PALM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I disagree. More products=more choice for consumers=more money for Palm in the long run. The more money they can make, whether it's on the Pre or the Pixi, the more they can put into development, advertising, and hiring more employees. I also think the Pre form factor doesn't appeal to a lot of people, where the Pixi would.
    I agree. But it has to be a gradual progression. If i got a killer pizza restaurant that still needs polish & has some problems, it'd be suicide to open up 10 new ones at once. I'd get way in debt and not have time to worry about fixing problems.

In other words, this cash strapped company needed to stick with the Pre til it got its foundation in order. Then come out with something new.

The pixie hasnt' made them any money yet. But i'm sure they've got a lot of debt from it at present and resources spent on it.
    Palm: Jack of all form factors, master of none?
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yup and No.

They have their task cut out. New devices bring more revenue while the existing devices continue to spread the good word.

So they have to work on WebOS platform plus introduce new phones.

I agree with you that Pixie form factor might appeal to many.
    Also I do want an upgraded Pixie (call it Pixie Pro).
    Palm: Jack of all form factors, master of none?
    And you complain about hparsons? Amazing.
    I agree. But it has to be a gradual progression. If i got a killer pizza restaurant that still needs polish & has some problems, it'd be suicide to open up 10 new ones at once. I'd get way in debt and not have time to worry about fixing problems.

In other words, this cash strapped company needed to stick with the Pre til it got its foundation in order. Then come out with something new.

The pixie hasnt' made them any money yet. But i'm sure they've got a lot of debt from it at present and resources spent on it.
    I think they've waited long enough to release the Pixi, not to mention it seems the Pixi was already being developed alongside the Pre, just at different stages. I don't think the plan they seem to have is a bad one by any means.
    And you complain about hparsons? Amazing.
    I'm sorry, but you are actually insulted or offput by a quip I made about Palm?

How about this instead:

"Palm should get ONE form factor perfected and rock solid before branching out."

Dull, but I guess it won't hurt anyone's feelings.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

How about this instead:

"Palm should get ONE form factor perfected and rock solid before branching out."

Agree, but its a bigger Pixie , not Pre.
    Their tentative position and small size should be all the more reason why they have to put out LOTS of information about what's coming down the pike and when.

If there's one thing that cash-poor startups do well, it's tell any and everybody about what amazing things they're going to be doing in the near future.

There is ZERO benefit in keeping their cards close to their vest.
    Missed deadlines (and an announced release date) is suicide for a small company. I suspect that's why Palm does not talk about what's coming up on the horizon.

Not announcing my hurt, announcing and missing would kill them. And when you're small, it's much more difficult to accurately predict when you will finish projects.
    Not only that, but the demand right now is for apps. A few hundred thousand Pixi's in the hands of users will increase the demand for apps, thus enticing more developers.

Yes, Pixi sales will leech some Pre sales, but I doubt it will be many. The kiddy-boppers will be all over it, as well as adult Pre owners that are looking for a phone for the younger kids.

How about this instead:

How about this one, what you're saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The hparsons quip was that you are offput by him, yet he makes sense when he posts, his posts are always well thought out, whereas this post of yours is not.

I don't know that the Pixi takes programming resources away from the Pre. I suspect there are very few fundamental differences in the programming. So, it's really not pulling resources away (or at least, not many).

Using your Pizza place resturant, they're not adding another location, they're adding a delivery service. Additional hardware, but they're still making pizza, just for more customers.
    How about this one, what you're saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The hparsons quip was that you are offput by him, yet he makes sense when he posts, his posts are always well thought out, whereas this post of yours is not.
    Careful now, he doesn't like posts that disagree with him. You might be next on his "list"...
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast