Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Sprint Hero 16 bit Color
    Sprint Pre 24 bit Color

You decide which has a better screen!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm thinking seriously about jumping ship, but I'm definitely holding off on the Hero until Sprint gets the Evdo Rev.0/Rev.A provisioning issues sorted. I went through that when I got a replacement Pre, and it SUCKS being data-crippled with such data-capable phones.

By the time that's done, the Moment will be just around the corner, and we'll see what's what.

The biggest X factor will be if this Pre can actually stay in one piece and fully functional while I decide. These are some cheaply-built, junky pieces of hardware, for sure.

I'm certainly not waiting for this non-existent flood of great WebOS apps any time in the near future.
    The Moment is the Android device worth waiting for on Sprint, IMO. I'm not waiting for one, but if I did consider dropping the Pre, it'd likely be for the Moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The Moment is the Android device worth waiting for on Sprint, IMO. I'm not waiting for one, but if I did consider dropping the Pre, it'd likely be for the Moment.
    The Moment is a neat phone, but it's UGLY! I admit I'm vain enough that I want my device to be cool and look cool too
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Long, if you don't want to read it then don't bother commenting on it.

I have both right now and have been comparing them side by side for 5 days now. (early access to the device.)

<------------------ snip ------------------------>
    How'd you get "early access to the device"? Do you work for HTC?
    I played with the hero today...its an ok phone but the virtual keyboard was irritating...the haptic vibrations trigger a few tics after you touch the thing...you could prolly turn off the haptic feature though but i didnt check....also the scrolling is weird and when you hit the bottom there is no bounce just an abrupt stop...this makes it feel stiff to me...pre is more fluid...

going to flash websites was cool though especially since my dj site is flash...

dont get me wrong the hero is a good phone but its not exciting and inspiring like the pre...love it or hate it the pre is a legendary phone...

hero is kinda boring and there are too many android phones coming out...its going to be tough to differentiate between all the android phones with similar features...which android phone will stand out in the pack?...Im thinking the android platform will be fragmented in the mind of the general public unless it gets that one killer, gotta have device...
    everything will work better with an enhanced SDK. How about GPU acess and drivers to start with. I bought the Air Hockey app and it completely suffers due to the current lame SDK. The first version of the same app on the iphone blows the pre version out of the water.

IMO, excuses about the SDK are not valid anymore.
    cool. : ). I really like my pre, i am definitely staying. But i'm glad the hero is out, i am so excited to sprint finally have good phones. : ). Phew!
    This is my first post......

I stopped into Best Buy yesterday to check when my Verizon contract is up so that I could switch to the Palm Pre. The guy there was like dude, are you sure you want the Pre? Have you seen the HTC Hero? I didn't really have the time or the patience to look through it too much but I've looked into it a lot online since decision time is about a month away. Here's the conclusion that I've come to: The software on the Pre has so much more fluidity. Everything seems to run smoothly whether it be switching between cards or navigating through an app. Screen rotations are much faster. The hardware on the Hero is much better. It's more solid and has a much better battery life (huge complaint among Pre users). The onscreen keyboard is very nice (with predictive text and the ability to easily add a word) especially in landscape. But it's certainly nothing that the Pre can't do. I like the widgets on the Hero. I also like the vastness of the Android Market but now that the Pre's app catalog is no longer beta, we should see much more.

Overall, the Pre seems to handle day-to-day tasks better like messaging, e-mail and calendars and seems to be faster. The Hero has a better build quality and so much more customization and expandability which (at this point) are only could bes for the Pre.
    Overall, the Pre seems to handle day-to-day tasks better like messaging, e-mail and calendars and seems to be faster.
    I've lived with a Pre as my business phone for 2+ months, and it's been absolute hell. Android's calendar app is far more useful. HTC's SenseUI basically creates a big customizable "dashboard" so that you can easily switch back and forth between multiple things, keeping tabs on all your stuff faster than I could ever do it on the Pre. I do miss the Pre's swipe motion to delete e-mails, but that's about it.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    A jailbroken iphone puts the Hero to shame. JMO. I don't need the widget mess and the touchflo UI still seems like lipstick. (and when the OS needs lipstick, what's that tell you?) Doesn't appeal to me. All these different makers & different android devices will be a negative later...just think WM.

At least the Pre has a real kb, easier one handed use, better UI, great multitasking. If i didn't have the iphone, i'd go with Palm. Make it simple, fun & hackable and Palm has. Outside of the processor, Palm just needs to bring better hardware to the next models.
    I am tired of the absurd calendar on the pre. I have been patient. But I am going to check out the hero. I am a palm fan from the original palm pilot, but there are just too many missing pieces to make this a good business phone. The lag between dates is embarassing when scheduling meetings. I wish they would fix the calendar rather than waste resources on itunes as I suggested in another thread.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    I went to the Sprint store today and played with the Hero which by the way was NOT sold out.....I was not impressed. First thing I noticed was the colors on the screen is not as good as the Pre. Second while playing with the widgets I realize I would miss swiping the card away...I would also miss the swiping on the gesture area. If the Pre didn't exist.....then the Hero would be my phone. Palm raised the bar to the point that it would have to be an extraordinary phone to make me move. The excitement the Pre gave me was not the case with Hero allbeit it seems to be a good phone....imo....PRE wins.
    I agree with you. I wrote a small review of the comparison in a new thread which was moved to other devices by mods. The ease of use of Pre is the best of any phone. Period.

But I ended up buying the Hero. Wife's original HTC Touch is on death bed.
    So we purchased the Hero. She likes the Pre, but the screen on Hero is impressive , that changed her decision.
    I played with it for three hours. Its a better upgrade phone for folks coming from Instinct.
    I missed switching between the APPS.
    Also whats up with that swiping thing ???? I accidentally swiped many times to get rid of the APPS .
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    One of the reasons I'm moving away from my current phone (Touch Pro) is that it's made by HTC. I'm sick of HTC and their problems. I know Palm has their own problems, but at least they're trying. I've had the PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, and now Touch Pro, and you know what? That's it. I can't keep complaining about HTC phones if I keep buying them. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... three... four times... well, shame on me. So I'm done with HTC for at least awhile.

My Pre arrived today -- I can hardly wait to play with it when I get home!

/Kevin
    Sir, I am with you on this. Wife's got the same phone , yup the original TOUCH. The screen gave up three months back. We poked the screen with a pin and raised a bit to have it working. Top corners of the screen are still not sensitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A jailbroken iphone puts the Hero to shame. JMO. I don't need the widget mess and the touchflo UI still seems like lipstick. (and when the OS needs lipstick, what's that tell you?) Doesn't appeal to me. All these different makers & different android devices will be a negative later...just think WM.
    Well, iPhone OS is definitely the most fluid and responsive mobile OS, even two years later. Everyone else either:

1) Puts out comparable hardware, but puts out an OS that doesn't use it (Palm/WebOS, highest end HTC WinMo devices)
    2) Puts out inferior hardware with an optimized OS on top that still falls short (Android)

No one matches hardware and software optimally except for Apple. That's why they're winning.

At least the Pre has a real kb, easier one handed use, better UI, great multitasking. If i didn't have the iphone, i'd go with Palm. Make it simple, fun & hackable and Palm has. Outside of the processor, Palm just needs to bring better hardware to the next models.
    I don't think the keyboard is much of an advantage at this point, given its size and orientation. I think it turns as many people off as it does on. The UI is definitely superior in form to Android, but the function is that it's still prone to memory issues and lag. And the Card view of multitasking is definitely superior as well.

But while better hardware will help somewhat, Palm's really got to get the OS experience together. I was in the Apple store over the weekend, and when you have the Pre next to an iPhone 3GS with nearly identical guts, it's sad how tentative and lagging the screen and OS are in comparison.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

The built in programs are all superior, photos, email, browser, messaging, contacts etc all work better on the hero and with less lag, stuttering, no checker boarding, more options etc.
    Good review, my experience is different.

I spend about an hour to add yahoo email with no luck. I kept getting messages that there is no way to validate my credentials. The imap server was using no encryption, I put to SSL. Still issues.

Also the browser flash didn't work on CNN site.

I have a question for you , do you have yahoo account ? were you able to add it to the email ?
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm thinking seriously about jumping ship, but I'm definitely holding off on the Hero until Sprint gets the Evdo Rev.0/Rev.A provisioning issues sorted. I went through that when I got a replacement Pre, and it SUCKS being data-crippled with such data-capable phones.

By the time that's done, the Moment will be just around the corner, and we'll see what's what.

The biggest X factor will be if this Pre can actually stay in one piece and fully functional while I decide. These are some cheaply-built, junky pieces of hardware, for sure.

I'm certainly not waiting for this non-existent flood of great WebOS apps any time in the near future.
    Normally I have a different take on most of the things you post here. But I have to agree on the build quality of Pre. Its cheap.
    The Hero is one tight phone. I saw the back cover when the tech opened to put the battery in , I thought to myself, what was PALM thinking when they designed that cover. The kid from DANGER or whatever his name is , should be sent to personally clean Steve Jobs everyday till he comes back with an "Amazing" design.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

YESSSS, that was my thought too. Android will end up where Windows is today. Too many skins ,too many themes ( blur, sense and Samsung's own ). In mobile business , this will go south if you don't control the software,UI and hardware. No wonder APPLE and RIMM are the top two smart phone sellers. PALM will join them in a year or so.

A bigger screen faster processor is better on the Pre or whatever the new phone they come up with.
    I would say many want a real portrait kb vs a landscape which requires two hands. You either like virtual or you don't IMO.

But there's no doubt Palm has lot of work to do in getting a quality device out later and optimizing the OS. They named it appropriately by using "Pre" Could've been called "Beta"

I still say if Palm wants to do multiple devices (and they do), then go with a high quality virtual kb slab like the iphone and also do a high quality Pixie Pro. The Pre needs redesigned but i think it still has a place as well. Palm's current decision to go with a cheap pixie won't help perceptions of weak quality and signals that Palm isn't really concerned with quality. This is my main concern going forward with Palm. I'm sure the OS will get much better over time.
    I still say if Palm wants to do multiple devices (and they do), then go with a high quality virtual kb slab like the iphone and also do a high quality Pixie Pro.
    I very much agree, but...

If they haven't been able to enable a virtual keyboard on the Pre yet, it gives me little hope for one quality enough for a full touchscreen device. They need to have top notch auto-corrections and spellchecking. Just don't see that happening soon given their pathetic development resources.

Then, there's the fact that Rubinstein bagged on virtual keyboards during the launch speech in January.
    That's silly then. If people are worried it copies the iphone, then what about the Hero or others? Offering both virtual and real kb devices would make better sense in trying to reach the most users. They can be flat, use glass screens, more solid, etc that's harder to do with a hybrid portrait slider like the Pre.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast