Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every time I read a review on the pre i just get the feeling that all the reviewers think the pre is great and intuitive but it cant compare itself with the iphone. This phone has so much capabilities that if you were to give a tweaked+patched+homebrewed pre or should i just call it a "precentral pre" there would have to be a second review done on the phone cause there would that much of a difference. I feel palm can really out do Android and Apple as long as they keep updating the phone and keep giving what the Consumer and potential want.

Imagine a pre with:
    wireless tethering advertise as a micro mifi
    usage of gpu
    2x as fast
    virtual keyboard
    customizable home screen
    adobe flash
    webgl- some time in the future maybe pre 2
    official palm software to customize themes among other things
    make all tweaks and pathes official.
    more apps- i know thats coming

I'm just saying what phone would be able to compete with this. Iphone would be a joke especially when a pre 2 comes out. I think that these things can be implemented among other things to the point where it would just be a different phone. This would dramatically put them in the lead and much more comparable to iphone, blackberry, android. Pre would be unmatched.
    Once it has the video cam and Flash 10.1 the game is over. The other stuff is just more dirt on the others graves.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I was showing my pre to my niece yesterday. At first she said, "oh the pre, isn't that the iphone wannabe?" I said, "yeah, here...take a look at it". I gave it to her and just about had to break her little fingers to get it back! Her dad has an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Once it has the video cam and Flash 10.1 the game is over. The other stuff is just more dirt on the others graves.

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    Every time I read a review on the pre i just get the feeling that all the reviewers think the pre is great and intuitive but it cant compare itself with the iphone. This phone has so much capabilities that if you were to give a tweaked+patched+homebrewed pre or should i just call it a "precentral pre" there would have to be a second review done on the phone cause there would that much of a difference. I feel palm can really out do Android and Apple as long as they keep updating the phone and keep giving what the Consumer and potential want.
    I completely agree 100%.

Personally I think a lot of the reviewers are not too well informed on the pre or have a slight bias to the iphone (although I have seen some reviews bias to the pre as well). Over all in reviews I think in most online reviews, the 3gs has come out on top compared to the Pre with 1.1.0. (which I disagree with)

There are a lot of features that I didn't know about, until I joined precentral.
    I watched a review yesterday with the Iphone 3gs vs Palm Pre and the reviewer gave a negative for palm because you couldn't customize the quick launch bar. That feature is standard with all pre's. The user (especially a reviewer) has to take the time to educate themself on how to do it and learn all the addictional features.

I would like to see a review of a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS vs a "PreCentral" palm pre. On the latest OS build of each.

There are so many pro's for both devices. I think that it would inform a lot of people about available features of both devices.

Virtual keyboard, wireless tethering, landscape email and text, 4x4 launch screen, etc. Features like these I cannot live without.

Imagine a pre with:
    wireless tethering advertise as a micro mifi
    usage of gpu
    2x as fast
    virtual keyboard
    customizable home screen
    adobe flash
    webgl- some time in the future maybe pre 2
    official palm software to customize themes among other things
    make all tweaks and pathes official.
    more apps- i know thats coming

I'm just saying what phone would be able to compete with this. Iphone would be a joke especially when a pre 2 comes out. I think that these things can be implemented among other things to the point where it would just be a different phone. This would dramatically put them in the lead and much more comparable to iphone, blackberry, android. Pre would be unmatched.
    I agree 110%. It's a testament to all of the hard work of the homebrewers. It also shows how much the Pre is (crippled) by Palm and Sprint just to make a buck. Most of the tweaks we see only activate what's already there. Thank God for the developers outside of Palm and Sprint not being satisfied with the product as-is. But I gotta give props to Palm for leaving the OS open...
    the Iphone craps all over the pre.
    Wow; you think the Pre is THAT bad?!
    Last edited by palandri; 10/13/2009 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    I agree 110%. It's a testament to all of the hard work of the homebrewers. It also shows how much the Pre is (crippled) by Palm and Sprint just to make a buck. Most of the tweaks we see only activate what's already there. Thank God for the developers outside of Palm and Sprint not being satisfied with the product as-is. But I gotta give props to Palm for leaving the OS open...
    Which tweaks show how Palm and Sprint have crippled the Pre, "just to make a buck" or otherwise? As if, of course, making a buck is a bad thing. Or, do you go to work for free?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I'd be willing to bet good money most, if not all, of the people at Palm working on the Pre/webOS use the Homebrew tools on this site as much as we do It's so easy, even a caveman could do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Which tweaks show how Palm and Sprint have crippled the Pre, "just to make a buck" or otherwise? As if, of course, making a buck is a bad thing. Or, do you go to work for free?
    Maybe he meant the OS is clearly capable of so much more, but feels rushed out and unfinished (because of all those hidden capabilities)?
    I owned an iPhone for a year. My wife has one, all my grown kids have one and yet I chose to terminate my iPhone contract to get a Pre.

I like my Pre better but I can certainly understand why people prefer iPhones. There are two things the iPhone has over the Pre, in my opinion, the number of devices sold and the number of applications. Palm may never sell as many WebOS devices as iPhones but the can certainly reach critical mass. The applications will take care of themselves.

I'm looking forward to the growth of the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Maybe he meant the OS is clearly capable of so much more, but feels rushed out and unfinished (because of all those hidden capabilities)?
    One should write what one means. But, even then, those hidden capabilities might very well carry with them known issues that Palm needs to address before making them live.

Palm needs to support the 500K (or however many) Pre users out there, meaning that they need to be far more careful than our illustrious and much-appreciated homebrewers. Homebrewers can say, "Hey, check this out, but do so at your own risk. It might kill your Pre or render you senseless." Palm can't.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm just saying what phone would be able to compete with this.
    If were pitting fictitious phones against each other then I vote for an iPhone with Multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanityeverlastingbonet View Post
    I played with a IPHONE for a week(as in i was dating this guy for a week just because i wanted to play with his iphone) & the Iphone craps all over the pre. I will not go to the Iphone because of the whack towers on at&t
    I have a Pre, and could spare a week...

Just sayin'.
  15.    #15  
    I love the pre i would not trade it for an i phone the capabilities of this phone and multitasking to me are already unmatched. I am an understandable considerate person i know how electronics work and i know things don't always go smooth; but the problem is 80% of people are don't think this way if it doesn't run smooth if its not up to i phone status its crap.

I feel like in a way they put the pre in the ring with one hand tied behind its back. Palm needs to untie that other arm so it can really box. Its not like it cant.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    What you (and unfortunately many others) is that those hidden features didn't "magically appear", Palm created them. Then hid them because:
    There's something about them that makes them not quite ready for prime time
    There's something about them that makes them desireable to keep working on
    It's odd that people chastise Palm over hiding stuff they put in the device, as if Palm has some sneaky motive other than quality control...
    I think virtually all reviewers are bias. Any purchaser that buys a phone based on one review deserves what they get. A quick Google search will give any prospective buyer a deeper insight of what the device can do. Most people don't want to bother with that, they want the cool phone that everyone else has...

That's a pity, but it really dosn't have that much effect on those that know how to do a little research.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    If were pitting fictitious phones against each other then I vote for an iPhone with Multitasking.
    exactly that is the next step for the iphone. They would be ***** not to implement that to the i phone. so when the iphone does have multitasking then what. Sorry to say that if it were not for the pricing of at&t even sprint pre owners would flock to iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What you (and unfortunately many others) is that those hidden features didn't "magically appear", Palm created them. Then hid them because:
    There's something about them that makes them not quite ready for prime time
    There's something about them that makes them desireable to keep working on
    It's odd that people chastise Palm over hiding stuff they put in the device, as if Palm has some sneaky motive other than quality control...
    Well, I don't know what he meant, but I was just suggesting exactly what you just said as maybe his point about "making a buck." You release a basic OS, that's capable of a lot more, to get your product out and some money rolling in, and you keep working on the "nice" things and details until they're fully baked.

We get that Palm created those features; well at least I do, so I don't know where you got the idea I didn't.

I wasn't chastising Palm; just offering a POSSIBLE explanation to what somebody meant since someone else was confused and the person who confused him hadn't been back to explain himself. That's all....
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    One should write what one means. But, even then, those hidden capabilities might very well carry with them known issues that Palm needs to address before making them live.
    Agreed 100%. So in the meantime, you release the product to "make a buck" while you keep ironing out the kinks. I was suggesting maybe that's what he meant. I don't know...just a thought...he could have been clearer, for sure.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast