Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 181
  1. #141  
    Neither Ford nor Chevy. They both make good automobiles, but it is the independent race teams that make the cars faster, handle better, use less fuel, etc. Let's not forget about the driver who is the one that actually wins the race.
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Let me try to address these both at once.

    Some things that we can't do on the Pre right now are:

    * automotive performance
    * augmented reality
    * simulation
    * dynamic motion (high-freq accelerometer) apps
    * smooth 2D games with a lot of sprites and special effects
    * 3D games
    * apps that use sound processing, multiple sounds, etc
    * apps/games that integrate with the music library (ie, beyond players)
    * apps that use terrain rendering
    * robust image processing

    Those are ones that are floating around in my field of view; I'm probably forgetting others.

    But customers are also looking for a lot of this other stuff which we can't deliver right now.
    Fine, Let me ask you a straight question,

    Assuming that PALM fixes them all magically with a combination of Hardware, Software (SDK) and build quality (using glass) ) to match the iPhone capabilities ,

    Would PAM be able to sell 20 millions Pres in two more years ? ( I am not being sarcastic) .
  3.    #143  
    I know your not asking me but I think they would sell a whole lot more. Reviews would then give it stellar ratings and people take notice they depend on reviews. I know before i buy something i check reviews: taking into account that people like to complain a lot but most people want stellar reviews. The pre does not have that yet but it is close. If the pre was magically fixed to reach its full potentially it would definitely get much more publicity and would dramatically affect sales
  4. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Fine, Let me ask you a straight question,

    Assuming that PALM fixes them all magically with a combination of Hardware, Software (SDK) and build quality (using glass) ) to match the iPhone capabilities ,

    Would PAM be able to sell 20 millions Pres in two more years ? ( I am not being sarcastic) .
    I don't know -- that gets way out of my field of vision. But it sure couldn't hurt. If they had some real compelling apps, it could only help sell the device. I haven't seen any current apps that are really killer enough to make someone want to buy the Pre.
  5. #145  
    This article doesnt think so...

    http://www.precentral.net/webos-proj...ket-share-2012

    And lately with all the new android coming out and the ones going to come out like the Acer running 1ghz processor and donut... made me think android is getting a massive second wind. i wouldnt count out winmo7 if they can do it right.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I know your not asking me but I think they would sell a whole lot more. Reviews would then give it stellar ratings and people take notice they depend on reviews. I know before i buy something i check reviews: taking into account that people like to complain a lot but most people want stellar reviews. The pre does not have that yet but it is close. If the pre was magically fixed to reach its full potentially it would definitely get much more publicity and would dramatically affect sales
    No, that's not how it works. You and I read reviews, we're the minority. The average joe sees something in store or on TV and buys it.

    The most important thing for selling anything really is...

    MARKETING


    Apple is marketing company that happens to sell technology. Their ads make me want to buy Macbooks and iPods even though I hate Apple as a company.

    If Bose can sell their cardboard speakers for thousands, anyone can do it. It just needs brilliant marketing. The iPhone didn't have 3g when the rest of the smartphones on the market did. Yet it still did really freaking well. Why? Marketing.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    This article doesnt think so...

    And lately with all the new android coming out and the ones going to come out like the Acer running 1ghz processor and donut... made me think android is getting a massive second wind. i wouldnt count out winmo7 if they can do it right.
    I wouldn't call it a second wind as the G1 sold quite well with over 1,000,000 units. Given that the G1 has some issues, far less than the Pre has, and is only on TMobile(how many people do you know on TMo?) that's quite successful.

    Android is just becoming what I envisioned. Bigger and bigger and bigger.

    Android doesn't even have a phone comparable to the Pre in terms of hardware yet. The ARM11 CPU completely holds back the power of Android.

    It will be interesting to re-evaluate the market come January when the playing field is more even.
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I love the pre i would not trade it for an i phone the capabilities of this phone and multitasking to me are already unmatched. I am an understandable considerate person i know how electronics work and i know things don't always go smooth; but the problem is 80% of people are don't think this way if it doesn't run smooth if its not up to i phone status its crap.

    I feel like in a way they put the pre in the ring with one hand tied behind its back. Palm needs to untie that other arm so it can really box. Its not like it cant.
    THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!,I believe the roles would reversed. I also believe Palm was the first pda/phne w/touch sensitive oversized screen(thats because 6-7 yrs/ago I had aTreo650 & I don't remember anyone else w/this technology),Palm just wanted Apple to lay their cards on the table(3Gs),even if all PalmPre did is make patches standared(w/a few added fetures)they really would'nt have to make a PP2,don't get me wrong I'm all in for a PalmPre2(w/new features add),but even w/1 hand tied behind their backs I believe their way ahead.But one must ask,if the Pre was available only on AT&T,would one still want it?(like thats a real question)
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post
    No, that's not how it works. You and I read reviews, we're the minority. The average joe sees something in store or on TV and buys it.

    The most important thing for selling anything really is...

    MARKETING


    Apple is marketing company that happens to sell technology. Their ads make me want to buy Macbooks and iPods even though I hate Apple as a company.

    If Bose can sell their cardboard speakers for thousands, anyone can do it. It just needs brilliant marketing. The iPhone didn't have 3g when the rest of the smartphones on the market did. Yet it still did really freaking well. Why? Marketing.
    your right i can agree with that
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    IMO, Palm should take it to Apple. If its PRPRPR $they$'$re$ $wanting$ $then$ $take$ $the$ $gloves$ $off$ $and$ $start$ $punching$. $Make$ $some$ $commercials$ $that$ $directly$ $makes$ $Apple$ $look$ $foolish$ $in$ $comparisons$. $Verizon$ $did$ $a$ $great$ $one$ $aimed$ $at$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$.
    ...
    The value of Apple putting down Microsoft in its commercials has paid off. A Mac's library of software compared to windows is like the Pre's app catalog to Apple's app store. Apple's gaming can't compare to what windows offers yet apple is still throwing out commercials aimed directly at MS.
    I agree that Palm needs a stronger tactic in getting the word out but maybe going after Apple is the wrong direction when there's a much easier target to aim for. WinMo and Blackberry customers. Unlike Apple users who think they purchased a "lifestyle" that must be defended at all cost, WinMo and Blackberry customers view their devices as "tools" to accomplish a task so it would be much easier to demonstrate to them why the Pre is a a better alternative.

    There's nothing wrong with shooting for 2nd place and WinMo/Blackberry are so outdated in todays smartphone market that picking off their customers would make more sense for both longterm and shorterm business.
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post


    Yeah, I hate how they will slap that Apple logo on just about anything even though it doesn't resemble nor relate to their other products? Obviously you have seen through all that marketing and found generic, undifferentiated underlying products. Are you for real?
    Apple has 2 talents that they excel in:

    1. Marketing.
    2. The ability to present existing technologies as fresh/new/hip in an attractive package and be successful at it.

    Under the skin, their hardware is not special or bullet-proof. And many of their products (e.g the iPhone) are made by third party companies.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Apple has 2 talents that they excel in:

    1. Marketing.
    2. The ability to present existing technologies as fresh/new/hip in an attractive package and be successful at it.

    Under the skin, their hardware is not special or bullet-proof. And many of their products (e.g the iPhone) are made by third party companies.
    You are completely unselling the iphone and apple - the product works and is sold at a premium not simply because of the device because it has a very successful ecology around it - the itunes store, the one-stop shop for apps etc. No other mobile phone comes close for the average consumer on this basis.

    It's the complete experience that is special for owners and why the product is so successful. "it's hip!" is not what gets people to trade up from an iphone to a iphone 3g to a iphone 3GS.

    You cannot look at the hardware in isolation.
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I agree that Palm needs a stronger tactic in getting the word out but maybe going after Apple is the wrong direction when there's a much easier target to aim for. WinMo and Blackberry customers. Unlike Apple users who think they purchased a "lifestyle" that must be defended at all cost, WinMo and Blackberry customers view their devices as "tools" to accomplish a task so it would be much easier to demonstrate to them why the Pre is a a better alternative.

    There's nothing wrong with shooting for 2nd place and WinMo/Blackberry are so outdated in todays smartphone market that picking off their customers would make more sense for both longterm and shorterm business.
    I absolutely agree. I am exactly that customer.
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I agree that Palm needs a stronger tactic in getting the word out but maybe going after Apple is the wrong direction when there's a much easier target to aim for. WinMo and Blackberry customers. Unlike Apple users who think they purchased a "lifestyle" that must be defended at all cost, WinMo and Blackberry customers view their devices as "tools" to accomplish a task so it would be much easier to demonstrate to them why the Pre is a a better alternative.

    There's nothing wrong with shooting for 2nd place and WinMo/Blackberry are so outdated in todays smartphone market that picking off their customers would make more sense for both longterm and shorterm business.
    The goal though isn't really attracting current iphone users but to create buzz while showing off the Pre. Those WM and RIM users would see the buzz and be targeted indirectly. The beauty of it is Palm gets to set the rules, tone, and criteria in commercials and could easily portray the iphone as out of date while humorously showing the iphone's weaknesses.. If Apple fires back with its own Palm targeted commercials, then consider it a win for palm.

    You pick on iphone because it's the standard all the blogs seem to compare any new phone to. It would create maximum buzz. It's the smartphone the mainstream knows. Besides, the iphone is their only form factor. Pick on that and you're picking on everything that is apple mobile. With RIM, WM or android, they got too many phones to focus on.

    Palm has to be aggressive. New android phones, a smoking HD2 with WM?, nokia's new OS, RIM going after better browsing, and little ole Apple still chugging along. One firm thinks Palm will have just 1.4% marketshare in 2012.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/15/2009 at 09:22 AM.
  15. #155  
    Curious but who here besides myself actually "own" both an iPhone and a Pre so they can talk from actually using both and not what they hear or read places???
  16. #156  
    Palm need to start advertising the Pre more. I must see 10 Tmobile MyTouch and 4-5 iPhone 3GS commercials every night. Sometimes I get sick of them.

    About the only time I see anything about the Pre is during football and its talking about Sprint really and not about the Pre.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You are completely unselling the iphone and apple - the product works and is sold at a premium not simply because of the device because it has a very successful ecology around it - the itunes store, the one-stop shop for apps etc. No other mobile phone comes close for the average consumer on this basis.

    It's the complete experience that is special for owners and why the product is so successful. "it's hip!" is not what gets people to trade up from an iphone to a iphone 3g to a iphone 3GS.

    You cannot look at the hardware in isolation.
    Actually you're a good example of what I'm referring to. Strip away all the hype and hysteria and one would quickly see that NOTHING about what the iPhone or itunes does is special. The idea of an online music store and being able to sync with an mp3 player is nothing new nor did it require any special abilities by the average joe. Devices where doing that way before the iPhone, hell even before the iPod. Then Apple's marketing machine went into overdrive and the rest is history.

    Also there was no app store when the original iPhone came out and even though it was missing many key features found in other smartphones, it still sold.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Actually you're a good example of what I'm referring to. Strip away all the hype and hysteria and one would quickly see that NOTHING about what the iPhone or itunes does is special. The idea of an online music store and being able to sync with an mp3 player is nothing new nor did it require any special abilities by the average joe. Devices where doing that way before the iPhone, hell even before the iPod. Then Apple's marketing machine went into overdrive and the rest is history.

    Also there was no app store when the original iPhone came out and even though it was missing many key features found in other smartphones, it still sold.
    Sure it still sold. It only set new standards in web browsing on a phone. Only recently has someone stepped up to the plate with a similar experience and that is Palm. The iPhone was the first with a multitouch capacitive screen. Eye candy for the masses. A very simple UI. Internet in the pocket. More feature phone than smartphone but features (especially multimedia) done very well.

    All Apple had to do was show it off and make it the star of their commercials (another first?). There was nothing like that out at the time. But make no mistake, the iphone sold itself. Only pricing & plans slowed it at first.
  19. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm has to be aggressive. New android phones, a smoking HD2 with WM?, nokia's new OS, RIM going after better browsing, and little ole Apple still chugging along. One firm thinks Palm will have just 1.4% marketshare in 2012.
    100% agree,

    In spite of its superior multitasking UI on Pre, few folks think iPhone is the best phone.

    Taking on APPLE will give PALM get more mainstream customers.

    I can show you 100 customers who bought Instinct after watching SPRINT commercials. To my surprise I noticed few folks buying the Instinct HD over the Pre and the Hero, when I was in the store.

    PALM should start a direct commercial war with APPLE, sort of what APPLE did to Microsoft.
  20. #160  
    For me it was a phone with the internet browsing like Opera on my Dell Axim (better actually) and being able to access my Yahoo email at $20 a month data plan that sold me. That's exactly what I was looking for at the time and think Apple got the timing exactly right for such a product and it was a home run... game changer... whatever you want to call it.

    Really, there really was nothing out there at the time that provided browsing like that and at that price for data. I could get a winmo with Opera but data plans for smartphones were outrageous... not for the general consumer.

    Safari touch screen browsing, email access, and ipod for the music fans... for $20 a month data! Tell me what else was available at that time that could compare. The rest is history.

    I didn't care it wasnt a "smartphone" and everything that came afterwards was just gravy... new things kept making the phone new and fresh. And now Competition has caught up big time and we'll see if Apple stands still or finds something to stay on top of things.

    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Actually you're a good example of what I'm referring to. Strip away all the hype and hysteria and one would quickly see that NOTHING about what the iPhone or itunes does is special. The idea of an online music store and being able to sync with an mp3 player is nothing new nor did it require any special abilities by the average joe. Devices where doing that way before the iPhone, hell even before the iPod. Then Apple's marketing machine went into overdrive and the rest is history.

    Also there was no app store when the original iPhone came out and even though it was missing many key features found in other smartphones, it still sold.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions