Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I can answer that. You don't have to assume with Apple, they just do it pretty routinely.

I think it's fair to say that the Pre and webOS have not reached a solid 1.0 state yet (even if that partial 1.0 is better than some aspects of the iPhone and good enough for many). Just the SDK alone shows they have not reached maturity, and you can see that in the apps too. Never mind performance or optimizations. Relatively speaking, the level of sophistication is not where iPhone was for it's 1.0 release.

I wouldn't call it a shock, but I will be pleasantly surprised when the Pre/webOS platform hits an honest 1.0 status. I will gladly give Palm credit at that point. But not now.
    If Palm had waited for the system to reach a higher level of sophistication before release, I don't think we'd be sitting here discussing the company, other than to wonder whatever became of it...
    None of that answers my question. I ask again, what makes you assume they're not working on things? They obviously had been when they announced the Pre early this year. The device we are talking about was not even dreamed of by the "technology watchers" as coming from Palm. It was a total shock to just about everyone. Do you really think the company that did that just sat back and said "that's it, we don't have to do anything else".
    dont forget that many ex-apple employees are now working for palm.....including the main one who came up with the ipod....
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I've yet to hear a good explanation for why there is so much anger towards Apple/iPhone.
    Personally, I think a cult is only good for the creepy old guy that gets to sleep with all the young virgins. Everybody else just thinks they're cool by association.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Personally, I think a cult is only good for the creepy old guy that gets to sleep with all the young virgins. Everybody else just thinks they're cool by association.
    hahah kinda extreme, but people cant deny....one reason why they like apple is because things are "cool". i personally remember 5 or so years ago in highschool, all my friends had an ipod except me. i had a regular mp3 player (i forget the brand) but they were like "why dont u throw that out and get an ipod? its better." people might say that "oh thats just because highschools act that way" well no. the point is is that the whole "cool" thing happens with ipods itouches iphones etc. and honestly im not one to go along with a crowd cuz its "cool". besides my $50 mp3 player did EVERYTHING that my friend's $249 ipod did. (oh except for the little scroll wheel....hmm ill save $200 for not having a scroll wheel) anyways point being, i think some of apples stuff are overpriced, they can just get away with it because they have their product lovers who are willing to pay that much.
    It might be overpriced, but the apps are cheap and can be shared. The iphone also retains its value pretty well for future resell and durable enough to last. Does that add up to paying an extra 20 per month on AT&T? Yep, it does. A-list + rollover minutes help as well along with being able to use data & voice at same time.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    Sorry to say that if it were not for the pricing of at&t even sprint pre owners would flock to iphone.
    I suppose this would be possible for me if it had a physical keyboard... But
    now we are essentially turnning an iPhone into a Pre :P
  7.    #87  
    I hope sales go well in Europe so that cash can start flowing into the company from over there Then maybe they will hire more people to work on webos to speed up the process. Keeping in mind palm is 1/20 the size of apple.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If Palm had waited for the system to reach a higher level of sophistication before release, I don't think we'd be sitting here discussing the company, other than to wonder whatever became of it...
    None of that answers my question. I ask again, what makes you assume they're not working on things? They obviously had been when they announced the Pre early this year. The device we are talking about was not even dreamed of by the "technology watchers" as coming from Palm. It was a total shock to just about everyone. Do you really think the company that did that just sat back and said "that's it, we don't have to do anything else".
    Well said,
    In reference to your previous post , I was blown away by the multi touch browser on the original iPhone and that was about it.

They didn't have voice dialing ( which is used by tens of million folks) , they didn't have "cut and paste " ( bummer) , mms, search ... hmmm. the list goes on.

Folks have their own opinions on whether the Pre is a 1.0 or 2.0.
    If PALM continues to keep selling the Pre on SPRINT, introduce it on Verizon, introduce the Pixie and finally release another new product whose length should be inch or so more than the iPhone with a physical keyboard , then I would say I care less about folks "opinions".

All PALM needs to do is to make money to feed those thousand PALM employees. At present they are in business. ( Sure they have debt, but they just had a new stock offering).

Folks in the forum are fixated on the phone itself and are forgetting the bigger picture , PALM the company. And they think that APPLE is the only company that has smart people working for them while folks at other companies are twiddling their thumbs.

APPLE had no competition to their iPod , but phones ? hmm they will have to compete now. Its too big a market for other companies to ignore.

I dare say , the next phones form RIM will rip APPLE and hurt PALM too.
    Its a freaking race now.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Seriously? Is the current iPhone really that advanced compared to the phone they introduced 3 years ago? After the 3GS was introduced, they spent like a week marketing new features that they provided, then went back to advertising the apps. Creativity from guys like you, not Apple.

They definitely know how to develop money-making businesses, but all of their creative people are either working at Palm or out drinking beer.
    Speed, speed, speed is the biggest impact of the 3GS. I wouldn't call it a creative breakthrough, but it does take a good engineering team to make all that happen (hardware and software). It is a big improvement over the previous generation device.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I still don't think that's an excuse to put out a half-baked product. There are some raw edges in the OS that just make me cringe. Lack of graphics acceleration is a big one; it's like they never used an iPhone or saw how smooth/fluid an interface should be.

I know Palm is working on things, but they clearly have a lot of work to do to finish the "present" technology. That's not good, because it takes resources away from the next products. It puts them in a spiral of catchup from the get-go.
  11.    #91  
    Speed, speed, speed is the biggest impact of the 3GS. I wouldn't call it a creative breakthrough, but it does take a good engineering team to make all that happen (hardware and software). It is a big improvement over the previous generation device.
    I completely agree. Having speed just completely transforms the phone. My sisters ipod touch is really fast whether bringing up a simple app or an intensive complex app. I hope they make use of the gpu really soon that alone will make people really really really happy.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I dare say , the next phones form RIM will rip APPLE and hurt PALM too.
    Its a freaking race now.

Don't hold your breath. RIM is good at their core competency -- communication devices with a fixed keyboard -- but they showed nothing but cluelessness with the Storm. And remember, it was highly touted as an iPhone killer (by both RIM and Verizon, so much for credibility). Another product with that "killer" reputation, yet it appears they never even used or understood the iPhone. I think the Storm was their knee-jerk "let's slap a touchscreen on a device" product, but it showed how poorly RIM fares when drawn away from their core competency. They didn't seem to understand the point/benefit of a touchscreen at all.

RIM, Motorola, Nokia are well established companies in this market that were caught totally by surprise by the iPhone and have yet to really demonstrate they can compete. I wouldn't place bets on any of these companies just yet (just look at the Moto CLIQ for evidence). To Palm's credit, I think they have at least demonstrated the ability to re-tool their direction, which is far more than these other companies have been able to do.

I'd group Palm with Apple as the only two players who really get it.
    I still don't think that's an excuse to put out a half-baked product. There are some raw edges in the OS that just make me cringe. Lack of graphics acceleration is a big one; it's like they never used an iPhone or saw how smooth/fluid an interface should be.

I know Palm is working on things, but they clearly have a lot of work to do to finish the "present" technology. That's not good, because it takes resources away from the next products. It puts them in a spiral of catchup from the get-go.
    Palm: Welp, clearly then its time to simply come out with another phone with different guts & screen and call it a pixi. We'll come back and worry about graphics later in the Pre..maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm: Welp, clearly then its time to simply come out with another phone with different guts & screen and call it a pixi. We'll come back and worry about graphics later in the Pre..maybe.
    Yeah, they don't seem worried at all. They just keep announcing services to integrate with Synergy.

Palm: We still don't use the GPU that you paid for in any form or fashion, but did we mention WebOS 1.5 will have Friendster, MySpace, and Classmates.com integration?!?!?!

Up next: LiveJournal and WordPress. Suck it, Apple!!!!!
    I would argue it's not a breakthrough of any type, it's just optimization of your current device. Sure, it took some effort, but who doesn't work on that?? It just amazes me how people trip over themselves to pat Apple on the back for every little BS thing they do. If Palm comes out with an update tomorrow that makes the Pre just as fast, you'll say that's the way it should've been all along, not that it's some great breakthrough.

I actually want to like Apple, it's the sheep that blindly follow (not pointing at you directly) that make me nauseous.
    Personally, I like what Palm is doing. I like the fact that the "precentral" community has something to keep us busy!!!! Clearly we are superior to the "iphone" community!!! Palm is sneaky, and I love it. Pre users are biased, yes. But so are iphone users. The only difference is Pre users are not followers, and can figure out the "secrets" deep down. Palm obviously knows what they are doing, and is trusting us to do the leading in this game. Since iphone users are followers, they will do just that, follow. It surely is up to us to show them the way!!!!
    I would argue it's not a breakthrough of any type, it's just optimization of your current device. Sure, it took some effort, but who doesn't work on that?? It just amazes me how people trip over themselves to pat Apple on the back for every little BS thing they do. If Palm comes out with an update tomorrow that makes the Pre just as fast, you'll say that's the way it should've been all along, not that it's some great breakthrough.
    And that's exactly right. Apple utilized the hardware of each iPhone version (version 1, 3G, and 3GS) nearly optimally out-of-the-box on day one.

Palm has yet to do it once, and we're at four months and counting.

I actually want to like Apple, it's the sheep that blindly follow (not pointing at you directly) that make me nauseous.
    If palm did that, i'd praise them for it. But i don't think its BS to make things 2-3x as fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And that's exactly right. Apple utilized the hardware of each iPhone version (version 1, 3G, and 3GS) nearly optimally out-of-the-box on day one.

Palm has yet to do it once, and we're at four months and counting.
    I don't follow. The argument is that what is new about the 3GS is speed (on the 3rd generation of the phone, after 3 years of working on the exact same OS), which would imply that previous versions didn't have it. Meaning they weren't optimal out of the box on day one.

Yet, in Palm's case, four months is too long??

If anything, Palm's mistake was pushing the envelope with limited resources.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Don't hold your breath. RIM is good at their core competency -- communication devices with a fixed keyboard -- but they showed nothing but cluelessness with the Storm.

I'd group Palm with Apple as the only two players who really get it.
    We shall see, they are coming out with STORM2.
    They hired a ex apple guy/s to fix the UI. And BTW they bought this little browser company called IRIS. Not sure you have used it. That was my primary browser for four months on my 800W. It was impressive.
    Watch out ,
    you will see it on the future RIM phones. Don't think APPLE is the only company out there ahead of the game.