Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    lol obviously it won't disappear down to zero but it won't hold anywhere near the market share it holds now. This is the point of the article.
    But you said the iphone would be going the way of the dinosaur which means dissapear. Anyways we shall see in 2 years whether these analysts are right or whether they are pulling numbers out their ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    But you said the iphone would be going the way of the dinosaur which means dissapear. Anyways we shall see in 2 years whether these analysts are right or whether they are pulling numbers out their ***.
    Yeah I was exaggerating. Thought it would be a given. Kind of like me saying your smart. Which clearly shows me being sarcastic. Didn't think I would have to point these out.

Also it's highly doubtful these Analysts are pulling numbers out of their ***.

Even though you might like to believe so.

Let's see, that's ... one, two, three, four ... five new Android phones in in the past few months, with two more—and possibly even a third—due by the end of the year, from two (or maybe three) different manufacturers and three (possibly four) carriers. Some will be better than others, but consumers will have plenty of models (and carriers) from which to choose.

Of course, a bunch of new phones on the market doesn't mean diddly unless someone buys them, and for now, Apple has a solid 10.8- versus 1.6-percent lead over Android in terms of global smartphone market share. But Apple is the only company making iPhones, while the open-source (and high-quality) Android platform is available to all manufacturers and carriers—and from what we've been seeing, they're taking the ball and running with it.
    Their logic seems to be sound imo.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Yeah I was exaggerating. Thought it would be a given. Kind of like me saying your smart. Which clearly shows me being sarcastic. Didn't think I would have to point these out.

Also it's highly doubtful these Analysts are pulling numbers out of their ***.

Even though you might like to believe so.

Their logic seems to be sound imo.
    And I guess your smart eh. You must be as smart as these analysts. What they are basically saying is that because more manufacturers are releasing Android phones their numbers should start going through the roof, well what if people don't buy them. After all there are many companies releasing Windows Mobile phones but yet no body gives a damn about Windows Mobile and it's irrelevant and the iphone alone outsells all Windows Mobile phones combined. Then again these are the same analysts who said the economy was in a good shape when it was collapsing.
    And I guess your smart eh. You must be as smart as these analysts. What they are basically saying is that because more manufacturers are releasing Android phones their numbers should start going through the roof, well what if people don't buy them. After all there are many companies releasing Windows Mobile phones but yet no body gives a damn about Windows Mobile and it's irrelevant and the iphone alone outsells all Windows Mobile phones combined.
    The difference is that most people agree that Android is a very powerful contender while WinMo is not. You may as well compare a neon to a cadillac.

Then again these are the same analysts who said the economy was in a good shape when it was collapsing.
    Hey whatever you want to believe in pretending that the iphone will still be on top in 2 years. Most people would beg to differ.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    The difference is that most people agree that Android is a very powerful contender while WinMo is not. You may as well compare a neon to a cadillac.

Hey whatever you want to believe in pretending that the iphone will still be on top in 2 years. Most people would beg to differ.
    But the iphone is not on top at least in terms of sales, it just has the most mindshare. I don't see any platform getting anywhere close no matter what all these analysts predict. Add the ipod touch and future models, and the iphone is not going anywhere. It may not sell the most units but it will be the most desirable device on the market. You can take that to the bank.
    iphone is going nowhere no matter how much you want to believe.
    Can we quote you on this?

Oooops, I just did.

Regardless of what others think, I find your posts amusing....
    But the iphone is not on top at least in terms of sales, it just has the most mindshare. I don't see any platform getting anywhere close no matter what all these analysts predict. Add the ipod touch and future models, and the iphone is not going anywhere. It may not sell the most units but it will be the most desirable device on the market. You can take that to the bank.
    lol it's fine with me if you want to drink the apple kool-aid and believe all that.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    lol it's fine with me if you want to drink the apple kool-aid and believe all that.
    LOL yeah at least my reasoning is better than stating the iphone is going the way of the dinosaur. Who's prediction has a better chance of coming true, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Once it has the video cam and Flash 10.1 the game is over. The other stuff is just more dirt on the others graves.
    YES!
    The Pre will only be unmatched if the other phone makers sit on their hands. But we all know that isn't going to happen. Should be interesting what they come up with and what Palm does to stay relevant.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    Every time I read a review on the pre i just get the feeling that all the reviewers think the pre is great and intuitive but it cant compare itself with the iphone. This phone has so much capabilities that if you were to give a tweaked+patched+homebrewed pre or should i just call it a "precentral pre" there would have to be a second review done on the phone cause there would that much of a difference. I feel palm can really out do Android and Apple as long as they keep updating the phone and keep giving what the Consumer and potential want.

Imagine a pre with:
    wireless tethering advertise as a micro mifi
    usage of gpu
    2x as fast
    virtual keyboard
    customizable home screen
    adobe flash
    webgl- some time in the future maybe pre 2
    official palm software to customize themes among other things
    make all tweaks and pathes official.
    more apps- i know thats coming

I'm just saying what phone would be able to compete with this. Iphone would be a joke especially when a pre 2 comes out. I think that these things can be implemented among other things to the point where it would just be a different phone. This would dramatically put them in the lead and much more comparable to iphone, blackberry, android. Pre would be unmatched.

The mistake, which competitors and people here make over and over and over, is to fixate on Apple's current state of the art and hypothesize. But Apple has shown over and over that while attention is focused on their present products, they have the next generation in the works that will trump their own current state of the art. So you'd better hope Palm is not focused on the current iPhone like people here; Palm really needs to be looking 1-3 years into the future to compete against the next iPhone.

My problem with Palm right now is that they are still busy finishing up their 1.0 product. Realistically, I think it will be another 4-5 months (or maybe 8-10 months if you count on webGL) before we can declare the Pre and webOS are truly even with the iPhone 2.0 on paper (objectively). Then the SDK needs to mature and the app catalog needs to flourish before we can start to work towards the iPhone 3.0. Obviously this is a apples to oranges comparison, so I am speaking loosely. But if we use objective milestones like webGL, SDK features, app sophistication, number of devices, number of apps, etc, we can make a comparison.

So anyhow, my main point is that Apple has a head start, they have tremendous resources, and they are working towards their 4.0 product as we speak. Palm has an awful big task ahead to compete with that. Should they compete? Do they need to compete? Hard to say. As evidenced by the people here, Palm can attract happy customers, and they have grown a market in the 600,000-700,000 range by now. Is that enough for them to live on without taking on the iPhone? Probably. But they need to continue to have unique compelling features that makes the webOS desirable even if it's not going head to head with the iPhone juggernaut. I am not convinced Palm should go head to head. I think they may be more successful working the sides and margins of the market.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    No because most analysts predict Android will over-take the iphone within 2 years as I have already stated twice. You have casually ignored this both times. I said 3-4 years because IMO this is how long it will take Android to cement its dominance after it initially overtakes the iphone. Learn 2 read k?

The numbers I have seen show that Android will eventually come to parity with iPhone; overtake is too strong of a word. The rate of growth, in the best case, has them coming head to head. At that point, there is no guarantee what will happen, since it depends on what the overall market does.

BTW, plenty of analysts figured Android would have given the iPhone true competition already, and it just hasn't happened. Lack of hardware/software integration (opposite of Apple and Palm) has continued to haunt the platform, and I am only starting to see weak signs that it's getting better. Motorola's new CLIQ was supposed to be one of those signs, and it looks like a major disappointment. So anyway, take the Android projections with a big grain of salt. They have a ways to go before they can really compete.

If Apple expands to other US carriers, all bets are off with regards to current projections. Right now, they are self-limiting with the AT&T relationship, and that factors heavily into future growth of all smartphone makers.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    The mistake, which competitors and people here make over and over and over, is to fixate on Apple's current state of the art and hypothesize. But Apple has shown over and over that while attention is focused on their present products, they have the next generation in the works that will trump their own current state of the art. So you'd better hope Palm is not focused on the current iPhone like people here; Palm really needs to be looking 1-3 years into the future to compete against the next iPhone.

My problem with Palm right now is that they are still busy finishing up their 1.0 product. Realistically, I think it will be another 4-5 months (or maybe 8-10 months if you count on webGL) before we can declare the Pre and webOS are truly even with the iPhone 2.0 on paper (objectively). Then the SDK needs to mature and the app catalog needs to flourish before we can start to work towards the iPhone 3.0. Obviously this is a apples to oranges comparison, so I am speaking loosely. But if we use objective milestones like webGL, SDK features, app sophistication, number of devices, number of apps, etc, we can make a comparison.

So anyhow, my main point is that Apple has a head start, they have tremendous resources, and they are working towards their 4.0 product as we speak. Palm has an awful big task ahead to compete with that. Should they compete? Do they need to compete? Hard to say. As evidenced by the people here, Palm can attract happy customers, and they have grown a market in the 600,000-700,000 range by now. Is that enough for them to live on without taking on the iPhone? Probably. But they need to continue to have unique compelling features that makes the webOS desirable even if it's not going head to head with the iPhone juggernaut. I am not convinced Palm should go head to head. I think they may be more successful working the sides and margins of the market.
    The hardware is there its just not being used. To many people its just another phone. Palm needs to build up its name again and it can still do it with. The pre just needs these upgrades. I think with the upgrades that i mentioned along with apps the pre would be unmatched.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Wow. Look, I own a Pre. I love my Pre. But if Sprint sold iPhones, I would have purchased one in a New York minute over the Pre. Unfortunately, the Pre can't touch the iPhone in terms of initial user experience, build quality, quality and selection of apps (I mean, $10 for a golf pin finder?), and performance...at least not yet. Example: The folks here on Precentral/Homebrew have done an amazing job providing the Pre with patches like virtual keyboard, blinking LED, 4x4 icons...all features that should have been on the Pre in the first place. You don't have to jump through the various WebOS QI, Preware, Package Installer, etc. hoops...many of which are too complex for an average user...to get a functional iPhone. Another example: I downloaded "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" from App Catalog. I've played the same game on a friend's iPhone, and I can tell you without a doubt that while the Pre's version is fun, the iPhone's version is orders of magnitude better...smoother game play, better graphics, sound, everything. Again, I love my Pre, and I'm no fan of Apple, but give them credit...as a previous poster said, they're already workin on iPhone 4.0 while Palm is still working on getting WebOS 1.0 right.
    For games yes, the Iphone has the Pre beat, but the user experience I get with the Pre as an all-round device (web/music/work/email/phone) is much more satisfying even with it's slower speed. A co-worker was showing me a new game on his 3gs and I couldn't help but be reminded of the drab / rather archaic interface on the Iphone.

As for the tweaks? Well the iPhone has to be jailbroken to apply many tweaks which the average user will never do. At least on the Pre, programs like Webos quickinstall and Preware make applying tweaks so easy, even Joe Shmoe can install them and remove them when needed.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    There are things the Pre does that are fantastic. That being said there are basic things that need addressing immediately. Multitask is great, one of the best things on the Pre. The transitions are very painful though. I could play catch with the Pre 3 times and just then have the app active. I had a 2 yr old Iphone on Tmo. The biggest difference for me is the fluidity. You press a button it responds. The scroll moves smoothly. Menus are refined. Thing is it has been that way since day one with the Iphone. It's all about execution. Think of it this way you have two great science students who have to give the same presentation. Both are equally qualified. One just knocks the presentation out of the park. The other though having just as much info, is hampered by how they present their information. Palm needs to get the experience refined and fast otherwise WebOS is going nowhere fast.
    I can't wait to get a Hero, anyone wanna buy a Pre from me?
    Sorry I was yawning through most of this post, but did somebody say that this phone needs voice dial??

If not then I will.

VOICE DIAL PLEASE!!
    I feel I should add to the list (this is all hardware):
    -Micro SD slot (and while I'm at it, way more base storage, like 16-32 gigs) - I can't believe this wasn't included! Makes no sense, there's plenty of room left to add this.

-Better stock battery/more efficient OS - I got a 2600 mah battery and the battery life is awesome now, I can stream Pandora non-stop at work and then some if I want. Yes, it's thicker but frankly it feels much better in my hands and it's not like Palm has to make the stock battery THAT much bigger.

-Better slider - There are a lot of people out there that are saying the slider is rickety, I'm one of them. I messed around with my girlfriend's phone (some cheap LG slider) and it's way more solid.

(edited for formatting purposes, forgot about bbcode despite the formatting buttons staring me in the face)
    Last edited by lolthisismyname; 10/12/2009 at 11:41 PM.
    Wow....the idea of the Pre being "unmatched" is just folly.

Look, we all love the devices we love, and that's great. But "matching" means comparing specs and objective capabilities, and even if every suggestion from the OP happened AND you added a better battery and microSD slot, it STILL wouldn't match the iPhone 3GS on paper, much less in user experience.

The iPhone 3GS would still have:

- a compass for better Google Maps and augmented reality apps
    - quality video recording and editing
    - photos that can be seen without 2-4 seconds of processing before EACH viewing
    - way more memory
    - a larger screen
    - way more apps and way more mature apps

So basically in a dreamworld, the Pre MIGHT halfway catch up to the iPhone 3GS a year or two after the fact, at which point Apple will have several new tricks up their sleeve and much more capable hardware.

I mean, it's a fool's mission. "Catching up" to iPhone is stupid. Leapfrogging it is the only sensible way forward. Synergy, cards, and multitasking were good starts, but they're already being copied and won't be much of a differentiator in a year or so. Palm's gotta bring this OS up to speed and quickly. It's just not there yet. Too much lag, too many memory problems crippling multitasking, etc.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast