Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 181
  1. SHO_ONE's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude Ron View Post
    I completely agree 100%.

    Personally I think a lot of the reviewers are not too well informed on the pre or have a slight bias to the iphone (although I have seen some reviews bias to the pre as well). Over all in reviews I think in most online reviews, the 3gs has come out on top compared to the Pre with 1.1.0. (which I disagree with)

    There are a lot of features that I didn't know about, until I joined precentral.
    I watched a review yesterday with the Iphone 3gs vs Palm Pre and the reviewer gave a negative for palm because you couldn't customize the quick launch bar. That feature is standard with all pre's. The user (especially a reviewer) has to take the time to educate themself on how to do it and learn all the addictional features.

    I would like to see a review of a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS vs a "PreCentral" palm pre. On the latest OS build of each.

    There are so many pro's for both devices. I think that it would inform a lot of people about available features of both devices.

    Virtual keyboard, wireless tethering, landscape email and text, 4x4 launch screen, etc. Features like these I cannot live without.
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but isn't mytether wireless tethering? If not what am I missing here.... Thanks!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but isn't mytether wireless tethering? If not what am I missing here.... Thanks!
    It can be; or you can wire the Pre to your pc through USB, as well
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    exactly that is the next step for the iphone. They would be ***** not to implement that to the i phone. so when the iphone does have multitasking then what. Sorry to say that if it were not for the pricing of at&t even sprint pre owners would flock to iphone.
    lol Apple will implement multi-tasking just as fast as they implemented MMS. Which is to say in quite a long time when no one really gives a damn because most phones at that time will be able to do it anyway. In either case the iphone will go the way of the dinosaur in 3-4 years anyway. MUCH faster if they do some ridiculously stupid move and give AT&T exclusivity again.

    tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/57664

    I think WebOS has a ridiculous amount of potential. I just don't see it beating out Android though. Their will be MANY MANY more Android phones to come in comparison to WebOS phones.
  4.    #24  
    it only takes one phone apple did it so can palm. If they dont make stupid moves.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    ...
    Sorry to say that if it were not for the pricing of at&t even sprint pre owners would flock to iphone.
    Sorry, you're wrong about that one. I didn't like the limitations of the phone when it first came out, and passed. I was actually just about to buy a BlackBerry when the Pre was announced.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Well, I don't know what he meant, but I was just suggesting exactly what you just said as maybe his point about "making a buck." You release a basic OS, that's capable of a lot more, to get your product out and some money rolling in, and you keep working on the "nice" things and details until they're fully baked.

    We get that Palm created those features; well at least I do, so I don't know where you got the idea I didn't.

    I wasn't chastising Palm; just offering a POSSIBLE explanation to what somebody meant since someone else was confused and the person who confused him hadn't been back to explain himself. That's all....
    Sorry if I misunderstood, but these hidden features are not because of a "rushed product". Almost every appplication written has similar hidden features. You don't hear about them much, because they're not as easy to find in compiled code as they are in the Javasript that the Pre uses.

    Many of the original "easter eggs" found in many programs were these type of undocumented and/or unfinished features.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong about that one. I didn't like the limitations of the phone when it first came out, and passed. I was actually just about to buy a BlackBerry when the Pre was announced.
    I'll second that! Though in my case, I kept holding out until something precisely like the Pre came out; anything else would've been settling, for me. When I read about the Pre for the first time, I thought "That's the one!" The money saved is just icing on the cake.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstood, but these hidden features are not because of a "rushed product".
    I know, I know Maybe he thought so (like you, I think wrongly so); that was all I was saying.
  9. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #29  
    I think the next version of the pre, apart from all the requisite updates like GPU usage, ram, cpu, OS, could benefit from a digital compass. Think of all the cool stuff we could be doing if we had a compass in this thing.

    Hopefully the graphics card boost and maybe an OLED screen help give the pre gui greater fidelity. One of the most striking aspects of the iphone for me to this day is just how responsive it seems when you do something like scroll or look at menus; everything is very bright and reacts to your touch immediately--I want some of that.
  10. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    lol Apple will implement multi-tasking just as fast as they implemented MMS. Which is to say in quite a long time when no one really gives a damn because most phones at that time will be able to do it anyway. In either case the iphone will go the way of the dinosaur in 3-4 years anyway. MUCH faster if they do some ridiculously stupid move and give AT&T exclusivity again.

    Report: Android will leapfrog the iPhone by 2012 : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech

    I think WebOS has a ridiculous amount of potential. I just don't see it beating out Android though. Their will be MANY MANY more Android phones to come in comparison to WebOS phones.
    LOL at the iphone going the way of the dinosaur. Some people just pull nonsense out of their *** and present it as facts. webOS has the higher probability of going away than the iphone.
  11. #31  
    This phone has so much capabilities that if you were to give a tweaked+patched+homebrewed pre or should i just call it a "precentral pre" there would have to be a second review done on the phone cause there would that much of a difference.
    While this is true, the problem is that the overwhelming majority of joe average users are either incapable or unwilling to deal with tweaks, patches and homebrew apps. Perfect example: I talked to a guy the other day who had bought a laptop card for his Macbook. His Mac was supported, but he had to go download software from the card manufacturer - it wasn't included in the box - so instead of dealing with that he returned the card and canceled the service.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What you (and unfortunately many others) is that those hidden features didn't "magically appear", Palm created them. Then hid them because...
    But there is a big difference here, these are not hidden features. They are right there in plain sight, anyone who can get the source code can see them. To me THAT is the beauty here. Palm could have chosen to try to obfuscate some of their code so that we could not see these things and the patch people (like Jason and Rob) could be lost wandering around in unintelligible source code.

    I think it is clear that Palm could have waited to release the Pre until all of these features were enabled and tested, but we most likely would still be waiting for the Pre to be released.

    With the help of the homebrewers and patch people we are riding the bleeding edge of the Pre. Sometimes that gets to be a bumpy ride, but hey if you crash and are dashed against the rocks, we've got the webOS Doctor to get us back up and running.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    LOL at the iphone going the way of the dinosaur. Some people just pull nonsense out of their *** and present it as facts. webOS has the higher probability of going away than the iphone.
    lol no nonsense here just facts. Yeah I agree WebOS has a greater chance right now which is why I said Android will dominate the market in 3-4 years not webOS. Like I linked as well most analysts now predict the same. The iphone was revolutionary when it came out because it made RIMl's UI look silly. This is not true however with webOS or Android. Don't like it...tough crap live with it.
  14. #34  
    I agree
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong about that one. I didn't like the limitations of the phone when it first came out, and passed. I was actually just about to buy a BlackBerry when the Pre was announced.

    i mean an iphone with multitasking the average person would like it even more.
  16. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    lol no nonsense here just facts. Yeah I agree WebOS has a greater chance right now which is why I said Android will dominate the market in 3-4 years not webOS. Like I linked as well most analysts now predict the same. The iphone was revolutionary when it came out because it made RIMl's UI look silly. This is not true however with webOS or Android. Don't like it...tough crap live with it.
    So because of your silly rant, it means the iphone will dissapear, ok.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    So because of your silly rant, it means the iphone will dissapear, ok.
    No because most analysts predict Android will over-take the iphone within 2 years as I have already stated twice. You have casually ignored this both times. I said 3-4 years because IMO this is how long it will take Android to cement its dominance after it initially overtakes the iphone. Learn 2 read k?
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    While this is true, the problem is that the overwhelming majority of joe average users are either incapable or unwilling to deal with tweaks, patches and homebrew apps. Perfect example: I talked to a guy the other day who had bought a laptop card for his Macbook. His Mac was supported, but he had to go download software from the card manufacturer - it wasn't included in the box - so instead of dealing with that he returned the card and canceled the service.
    My point exactly. The average person has no clue about a "precentral pre" that is why patches tweeks themes mytether should become official because of the average joes. we represent just a small portion of the pre community that has the knowledge of making our phones better. Heck even people here that know dare not risk damaging their phone.

    I honestly think many of these issues could be implemented very quickly if they choose so. Only thing i can see that is taking them a while is that they are working on bigger things. But for example look how fast 1.2.1 came out
  19. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    No because most analysts predict Android will over-take the iphone within 2 years as I have already stated twice. You have casually ignored this both times. I said 3-4 years because IMO this is how long it will take Android to cement its dominance after it initially overtakes the iphone. Learn 2 read k?
    So a bunch of analysts estimating that Android will overtake the iphone in sales means that the iphone dissapears. The iphone is not even the biggest selling smartphone platform in the world but yet it's still here. So much for it dissapearing. I wonder what roles webOS plays in all this. iphone is going nowhere no matter how much you want to believe. The iphone OS platform is already at 50 million plus and will be at 80 million by the end of the year. It will still be here no matter how much you fan boys want it to dissapear.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    So a bunch of analysts estimating that Android will overtake the iphone in sales means that the iphone dissapears. The iphone is not even the biggest selling smartphone platform in the world but yet it's still here. So much for it dissapearing. I wonder what roles webOS plays in all this. iphone is going nowhere no matter how much you want to believe. The iphone OS platform is already at 50 million plus and will be at 80 million by the end of the year. It will still be here no matter how much you fan boys want it to dissapear.
    lol obviously it won't disappear down to zero but it won't hold anywhere near the market share it holds now. This is the point of the article.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions