1.    #1  
    Okay I know this has been posted several times, so please forgive me but I am looking for some fresh input. I am coming from a Sidekick so I would like to know if you pre owners still enjoy your phone and would you recommend it? Do you get good service? Did it live up to your expectations? Any and all helpful input would be great. As stated before, I know this has been posted before and I know some will hate me for posting this again, and I'm sorry but I want some fresh perspective. Thanks for your time.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by partycrusher View Post
    Okay I know this has been posted several times, so please forgive me but I am looking for some fresh input. I am coming from a Sidekick so I would like to know if you pre owners still enjoy your phone and would you recommend it? Do you get good service? Did it live up to your expectations? Any and all helpful input would be great. As stated before, I know this has been posted before and I know some will hate me for posting this again, and I'm sorry but I want some fresh perspective. Thanks for your time.
    Yes, yes, yes, and mostly. Really, you just need to try it out and see if it suits your needs. 30-day return period... give it a shot, if it's not for you, get something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, and mostly. Really, you just need to try it out and see if it suits your needs. 30-day return period... give it a shot, if it's not for you, get something else.
    +1
    I think the toughest part of the transition will be the keyboard since it's a portrait sized keyboard, not landscape.

I think the Pre is an amazing device, and has streamlined parts of my lifestyle for the better. In my area I get amazing service from Sprint while T-Mobile is horrendous here. I'm never without coverage. The Pre exceeded some of my expectations, it has a few limitations, but coming from a Sidekick I would figure those limitations would be non-existent to you. I came from a Windows Mobile device, as a point of reference.
  5.    #5  
    thank you all so much for your helpful replies! Anymore input would also help. Anyone think I should wait for the VZW version of the device?
    thank you all so much for your helpful replies! Anymore input would also help. Anyone think I should wait for the VZW version of the device?
    Only if the Sprint coverage in your area is poor. Where I live, I get the great Sprint pricing with excellent coverage. The choice seems obvious.

Btw, this is my first smartphone and it's been a revelation. Some small features are still missing, but it's nothing homebrew, app catalog, Preware, and Palm's periodic OS updates can't fix.
    I came from PalmOS treo's to the Pre. The Pre's calendar/PIM functions are not as robust as the in PalmOS, but they are acceptable for basic use. There are a few things you might miss coming from a sidekick to a Pre: no SD card (but has 8GB of internal memory), the Pre cannot currently view Flash based web pages (but it can play YouTube videos), no trackball (you have a capacitive screen, like the iPhone, instead), the camera is 3 Mp (like the Sidekick LX) but is fixed focus, and as someone else said, the keyboard is portrait and a lot smaller. Coming from a T-Mobile sidekick, you might be paying a bit more for your plan (but you will be getting a lot more) features. You will need to install your own twitter and facebook clients, the Pre does AIM out of the box. As others have stated, the best thing is to try one out and see how well it fits your needs.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I would like to know if you pre owners still enjoy your phone and would you recommend it?
    I absolutely love it. It is my first "real" smartphone and I use it to its full potential daily.
    Do you get good service?
    hah, in my area I get excellent service. Atlanta, GA. I have 3g all the time 24/7 unless I am in a brick building like my college. 3g is so good here. I did a speed test with Sprint 3g vs my att DSL at home over wifi, Sprint 3g had better download speed over att dsl but the ATT dsl had a slight better upload speed then the sprint 3g.
    Spring offers 4g over my area yet nothing takes advantage of this yet except netcards. iirc
    Did it live up to your expectations?
    Exceeded. With tweaks, patches, and homebrew apps the phone gets better and better every single week.

virtual keyboard. =D
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Unless Sprint signal is bad where you are at, stick with Sprint, Any Mobile Anytime.
    I just read an article where Microsoft/Danger (the cloud operators for the Danger/SideKick) lost everyone's data due to a server failure on the single server they were using for this purpose:

T-Mobile Warns Sidekick Data Might Be Gone Forever - Reviews by PC Magazine

Hopefully Google and Palm are smart enough not to make the same mistake!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  11.    #11  
    Lol yea it's been crazy. I'm glad I'm leaving tmobile.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The best part is Synergy and multi-tasking. I have 5 email accounts linked in to my phone. Before this, I had a hard time keeping up with all of them. I love how it pulls in all my calendars from different accounts (including apps like Sportscalendar). I can keep email, calendar, music all at the same time. Also I wonder how many Pre users cheat on Word Ace by having a dictionary program open on the side?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  13.    #13  
    What do you guys think of the multi tasking iphone concept on the precentral.net homepage?