Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok... I managed to brick my Pre. Nevermind how...I mean if you're interested I'll tell you but I just want to ask if people here IF they have a refurb phone, what the consensus is on them. Pros and Cons. Battery Life, Oreo effect, Buttons sticking... etc etc. I'm getting my refurb on tuesday.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    My refurb is in excellent condition after 2 months. I would not hestitate to get one. No oreo, excellent battery life, know issues at all.
  3.    #3  
    I hope this is the norm... I got mine at the Pre Launch Party and haven't had any issues until I broke it.
    I know this isn't your question but have you tried to "unbrick" your phone using Web doctor?
    +1

It is near imposable to "brick" a pre. Tell us what it is doing right now and what you have tried.
    my first referb was beautiful.....looked new. earpiece didn't work. with a few extra calls to cs it actually netted me a substantial credit. i've had my second referb for a few weeks now and it's great. no oreo. buttons are fine. battery sucks just like a new one.....you shouldn't have a problem.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I'm on my 2nd refurb and it's great! The first refurb I got was terrible: oreo & software issues. I took it back within 2 days and the manager quickly got me another replacement. The 2nd refurb I have now is even better than the original Pre I bought brand new.
    Oh no! My launch party partner in crime! What happened man? Mine is still working ok although the screen is a little loose . The webOS Doctor can fix 99.99% of problems in the software.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    yeah, unless you went in and tried the gps hack and did something horribly wrong, just webdoctor your pre
    I have a refurb and am completely happy with it. Much better than my release date phone.
  11.    #11  
    ok... on saturday I was installing some tweaks via preware, trying to get the virtual keyboard and other stuff and the phone started acting a little buggy. I thought it would be best to remove all the tweaks I had and start over from scratch. when I did that I notice that the tweaks did not remove from the phone. The battery icon, add launcher page, email landscaping mode and others were still active. at this point, I did a partial erase and nothing.

afterwards I tried the WEBOS Repair utility... not paying attention... I ran the one that was not compatible with WEBOS 1.21. The phone then acted really weird, slow, when I tried to load an app, it looked nothing like the app, it would have a bunch of code saying "template load failed: usr/plam/framework/mojo/submission.... yada yada yada". I was able to make calls but app were not acting properly and I was unable to send/read text messages. I was out with some friends saturday and used their iphone to do a remote wipe from the palm support site thinking that would maybe solve my problems and now I'm at the sign in screen with the same "template load failed: usr/plam/framework/mojo/submission.... "

When I try to run the RU or the DR it asks me to connect the device as if its not recognizing that its plugged into the usb.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    I'm on my 2nd refurb and it's great! The first refurb I got was terrible: oreo & software issues. I took it back within 2 days and the manager quickly got me another replacement. The 2nd refurb I have now is even better than the original Pre I bought brand new.
    ps... you're hot! hahaaha...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Oh no! My launch party partner in crime! What happened man? Mine is still working ok although the screen is a little loose . The webOS Doctor can fix 99.99% of problems in the software.
    I know!! I was 100% happy with my pre! It has sentimental value to me and it sucks I managed to efff it all up! I'm such a horrible Pre owner! I had such a cool story to tell when people saw me with my phone... now nothing! When it comes to tech stuff I know JUST enough to get me in trouble!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    yeah, unless you went in and tried the gps hack and did something horribly wrong, just webdoctor your pre
    Not exactly, but I definitely thought I was too cool for school....
    The screw up you described CAN NOT brick a pre.

Your Pre is NOT bricked.

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
  16.    #16  
    when I run WEBOS DR I get to this point:

"This tool will reset your phone if it has stopped responding during a software update.

This will take 15 minutes to an hour, depending on your battery level. You cannot use your phone during the reset process.

After your phone is reset, log into your Palm profile. Any information that you've backed up to your Palm profile will be restored, including applications and contacts, calendar, and email accounts. You will have to manually restore music, videos, documents and other information."

it then check the system and says "Connect your phone directly to your computer with your USB cable"
    Yes, but did you follow steps 1-5 exactly as I described, or did you just assume your phone was still in dev mode and plug it in?

The volume up trick while powering on the Pre as I described, starts a USB novacom boot mode that cannot be messed up unless you pull a flash chip out of your Pre and use specialized equipment to flash it, or do something equally unlikely and stupid to damage that hard coded programming.

The repair utility can NOT damage it because it's not part of the file system.

Also, verify that the novacom drivers are installed correctly on your desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyvsp View Post
    when I run WEBOS DR I get to this point:

"This tool will reset your phone if it has stopped responding during a software update.

This will take 15 minutes to an hour, depending on your battery level. You cannot use your phone during the reset process.

After your phone is reset, log into your Palm profile. Any information that you've backed up to your Palm profile will be restored, including applications and contacts, calendar, and email accounts. You will have to manually restore music, videos, documents and other information."

it then check the system and says "Connect your phone directly to your computer with your USB cable"
    when you get to this screen hold the volume up key and plug in your usb to the pre. you should see a big usb sign on the pre. in a minute the next button on the dr will light up. press next and you will be fine
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Yes, but did you follow steps 1-5 exactly as I described, or did you just assume your phone was still in dev mode and plug it in?

Also, verify that the novacom drivers are installed correctly on your desktop.
    yes... but just to double check, I am downloading the updated one.

how do I verify which novacom drivers I have installed?

PS, if you help me figure this out I'll love you forever! No homo!
  20.    #20  
    wait... something just happened... I think its working!!! I hit next and now its at 14%! ITS WORKING!!!! ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like that stupid anakin kid in ep 1...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast