Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    If i do this and run webosdr 1.3.5.1 will it save all patches and usb content. then at that point could i run the update and get the 1.4 update?
    You'll want to do a litle research first.

The early versions of WebOSDr cleared the entire device, and then with one of the 1.3.x drs, they changed it to flash everything but the USB storage, and they've also changed the palm profile back up so that it backs up your list of installed packages.

The problem with the backing up installed packages is that for packages that are not in the palm app catalog, the device will think the packages are installed when they're really not, and that causes problems for Preware.

So, two suggestions:

1. Do lot's of research before moving forward.
    2. Explain more clearly what your goal is. I really don't understand what you mean by "saving" your patches. If you want to keep using all the patches you have installed, you can just update everything in Preware, and then update again after you let the phone update itself to 1.4.0
    hi, i have vista on my pc and when i do that after a second it says "device unplugged"... im trying to get some picture out of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamyabnet View Post
    hi, i have vista on my pc and when i do that after a second it says "device unplugged"... im trying to get some picture out of it...
    Hi, I just replied to your PM with the information you need.
    Well thought i might add to this, my pre aint a 100% brick but fairly close to it.

GSM (O2-UK) PRE with rebel sim. worked perfectly on 1.3.5.2 installed the 1.4 update everything worked a treat except making calls, so used webosDoctor to go down, still same issue tried on a mac/pc (windows xp & 7) used 1.3.1 version as well as sprint meta doctored version but still no calls, 3G/2G worked fine.

tried the flashing on GSM firmware PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar return sucessfull but since the first time i tried that it began saying SOS, even with an O2 sim inserted.

flashed again and got phone offline error, then after that webosdoctor would not go past 58%, ran it cmd prompt and it always stopped when attempting to flash the GSM firmware returning a pri/prl error tried with a meta-docted version went through but once in webos it waits for a bit and comes up with this phone can not be restored.

entering recovering mode workes fine, i can get into the folder structure of the pre, move files (castleumtsfw.tar etc) via novacom, able to use [novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage] to get it work,

running PmModemUpdater -v command version comes up as (0) move the castleumtsfw.tar file and flash, successful, but verify again returns as (0)

now since the last time me trying, the phone only boots to a large battery icon,
    removing battery for a whole day then inserting it - no change,
    leaving on charge over night - no change
    using touchstone to charge it - no change
    another usb changer - no change

so right now apart from the battery issue the phone is about a 80-90% brick..
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    damn it, i have a similar problem.

I'm getting 'phone offline'. I've now doctored it THREE TIMES and each time get "we were unable to reset your phone".

What do I do? This is the end of my tether (no pun intended), I'm gonna go with an android but I'd like to be able to sell a functioning pre! noone will buy it if it's stuck in 'phone offline'.

any help?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    looks like there's no help for me...?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    The screw up you described CAN NOT brick a pre.

Your Pre is NOT bricked.

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Nothing else I tried helped. But this did.

I had a dumb endless reboot loop (after trying to install 2.1 on my Palm Pre) and couldn't get 1.4.5 back on regardless of what I tried... until I came to this.

Once again, THANK YOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Second, if you follow the steps to use WebOSDoctor you virtually cannot brick your Pre because of software issues. Really the only possible way to truly brick it would be to use QPST to gain deeper access to the phone and screw up something so bad that WebOSDoctor and a factory reset will not work. I don't even know what you can screw up to do this but in 99.99% of the cases, the Pre cannot be bricked because of software issues. Let me know if you need additional help.
    This is very good to know. Makes me want to try a second time to put 2.1 on my Palm Pre.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345