Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i have dev mode on, and i followed your steps exactly and got to the USB screen, i went to run webOSdoctor, i got to the point where it says "connect your phone directly to your computer with your USB cable. do not remove your battery or disconnect your phone during this process" I have my phone connected to my computer and it is on the USB screen but the 'next' option stays dim. i do not know what i am doing wrong, could it be a problem with my phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    [B][SIZE="7"
    1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    This worked, with slight modification on a Palm Pre Plus.
    1) Take Battery Out
    2) Plug in USB
    2a) Battery icon with "?"
    3) Press and hold volume up
    4) Insert Battery
    5) USB symbol
    6) Run WebOSDoctor

I found this thread because my Pre+ wouldn't stop resetting/power cycling. Palm logo would appear, after about 15 seconds Logo would pixelate and fade to black, repeat. After several (10?) cycles, it would die. Remove/replace battery to start the process over.

Upon performing the above, I got WebOSDoctor to find the device and to start doing its thing. At or about 14% the USB connection was mysteriously terminated. Yes, I KNOW you're not supposed to do this. I didn't remove the cable, I was still holding it so I may have moved, a little, but nothing acrobatic. I was just going to set it down, which seemed prudent.

NOW, it's a real brick. No signs of life. I have it charging off the wall just to make sure, but....

ideas?
    Otherwise, this thread was very useful, so thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingjerry View Post
    ideas?
    Otherwise, this thread was very useful, so thanks.
    Yes, actually.

It's still impossible to brick any WebOS device.

If you're going from the forced USB mode like this, it will start the WebOSDr even if the battery is too low. The flashing process drains the battery faster than the USB can charge it, it it get's a little ways and fails.

Put your battery back in, and plug it into the wall charger for at least a couple of hours. Then just do it again, except this time, make sure the cable is well seated at both ends and set the thing down BEFORE you doctor it.
    I'll keep working at it.
    Actually, I have a second Pre+ here. Battery is at 80%.
    Swapped and still not getting anything.

Actually, I can get Windows to complain about an unrecognized device if I reboot and it IDs it as OMAC.

But no other visible signals on the Pre+ itself.
    Correction, it shows up as OMAP3430 (I was going by memory before).

It's been over 2 hours on the wall charger and still no progress.
    The screw up you described CAN NOT brick a pre.

Your Pre is NOT bricked.

My Pre is doing a very good impression of a brick following an attempted WebOSDoctor recovery which completed but after which it would not turn on. No lights, no screen, nothing.
    If it wasn't nailed to its perch, it would be pushing up the daisies :-/

I charged my Pre in the wall adaptor for 2 hours, then followed the steps:

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    I removed the ( quite hot ) battery.

2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    There is no sign of life from my Pre at this stage.

6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    If it is a hardware problem, I find it very strange that it occurred just after running WebOSDoctor and not in the previous 3 months.
    It's a Pre Plus from Verizon. Had about 30 hours.
    It's a Pre Plus from Verizon. Had about 30 hours.
    sry bingbong, I was reading that off my Centro and thought you were talking about my Pre. Sorry to hear yours is borked, too.

I did the first process on this page
    www . webos-internals . org
    /wiki
    /Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery
    (had to break up the url string becuz the forum was barfing it)

It almost works. Pre keeps disconnecting around 15%.

Fortunately for me I already have an Ubuntu server running, so that saved me a lot of work, but it was still a lot of stuff to download, install and mess around with.

I can't get the "Alternative" process on that page to work; i.e. using novacom to gain entry into the Pre.
    Novacom says, "failed to connect to server"
    sry bingbong, I was reading that off my Centro and thought you were talking about my Pre. Sorry to hear yours is borked, too.

I did the first process on this page
    www . webos-internals . org
    /wiki
    /Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery
    (had to break up the url string becuz the forum was barfing it)

It almost works. Pre keeps disconnecting around 15%.

Fortunately for me I already have an Ubuntu server running, so that saved me a lot of work, but it was still a lot of stuff to download, install and mess around with.

I can't get the "Alternative" process on that page to work; i.e. using novacom to gain entry into the Pre.
    Novacom says, "failed to connect to server"
    Have you tried restarting your computer? I had similar issues last week when I was Doctoring back to 1.2.1 to start "clean" and for some reason novacom wasn't playing well with my desktop but after a reboot it went off without a hitch....
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I think I'm past that, but I will try it tonight.
    Right now, I am trying webosdoctor from pc. Maybe it will make a difference somehow. EDIT: No, it didn't.
    I booted into recovery from linux, then moved over once the big usb symbol was up (incidentally, it looks more like a puzzle piece than the 3 split arrows you're used to seeing for usb).
    Are you saying you were using this "last reort" process I linked to above?
    Last edited by surfingjerry; 02/08/2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: minor update
    I think I'm past that, but I will try it tonight.
    Right now, I am trying webosdoctor from pc. Maybe it will make a difference somehow. EDIT: No, it didn't.
    I booted into recovery from linux, then moved over once the big usb symbol was up (incidentally, it looks more like a puzzle piece than the 3 split arrows you're used to seeing for usb).
    Are you saying you were using this "last reort" process I linked to above?
    Not this time. I've had to run that process in the past but this time it was mostly with novacom disconnecting after partially getting thru doctoring. I rebooted the pc and that issue went away. Not sure why (but I attribute most of it to my crappy computer) but a right-click on "safely remove hardware" sometimes reveals novacom still running even though the Pre had been properly removed hours and even days before. That's when I have issues like the partial doctor/disconnect thing.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

ok, Tried restarting the computer and still the same problem.
    The process stops around 14-16%. Same result when attempted on Windows or Linux.
    On Linux the log says
    Code:
    Feb 8, 2010 1:38:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postF
    lashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe from file:///sbin/trenchcoat
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:124)
            at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketWriter.write(PacketWriter.java:30)
            at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.write(NovacomSocketStre
    am.java:161)
            at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.j
    ava:20)
            at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.j
    ava:65)
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatSta
    ge.java:76)
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:194
    )
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Feb 8, 2010 1:38:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postF
    lashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1265654309247
    Feb 8, 2010 1:38:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handl
    eFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Feb 8, 2010 1:38:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handl
    eFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    Feb 8, 2010 1:38:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscove
    ryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Feb 8, 2010 1:38:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscove
    ryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 0
    ... repeats got devices 0 several times ...
    INFO: timed out looking for device
    Feb 8, 2010 2:11:06 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runne
    rFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Feb 8, 2010 2:11:06 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runne
    rFinished
    WARNING: the device seems to have been unplugged, try again
    No, I'm not unplugging it and my connections are tight, as I expect they were when the first failure occurred.

I'm about all out of ideas.
    finding at least two others with the same problem of getting stuck at 14% in this thread...
    /palm-pre-tips-information-resources/187641-case-you-cant-get-webos-doctor-work.html

one is reporting that Sprint said it would have to be replaced.

Does this point to a HW failure?
    So, can Pres in fact get bricked by WebOS Doctor, or not ?

No need to reply in large type, just logical arguments will do
    Quote Originally Posted by romcom View Post
    So, can Pres in fact get bricked by WebOS Doctor, or not ?

No need to reply in large type, just logical arguments will do
    The simple answer is "no."

If you can't recover your PrPrPr&#$275$; $using$ $WebOSDoctor$, $then$ $you$ $are$ $either$ $not$ $following$ $directions$, $or$ $your$ $hardware$ $has$ $been$ $fried$. $I$ $would$ $venture$ $a$ $guess$ $that$ $the$ $ratio$ $of$ $people$ $who$ $think$ $they$'$ve$ $followed$ $directions$ $but$ $haven$'$t$ $versus$ $people$ $who$ $have$ $actually$ $had$ $a$ $real$ $hardware$ $failure$ $that$ $coincided$ $with$ $running$ $WebOSDoctor$ $to$ $be$ $about$ $10$,$000$:$1$

To clarify, "following directions" includes making certain that you have a good copy of WebOSDoctor and that you have a properly installed and properly running novacom driver on your desktop.
    On the Palm pages for webosdoctor it mentions that if it fails to re-download webosdoctor and run the process again.
    Why download it again? Does the recover process interact and modify the jar file?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    On my phone the USB symbol appears the second I insert the battery.

I've then started WebOSDoctor and the Novacomd box progress bar has reached the end of it's range and nothing more appears to be happening?

The Palm WebOSDoctor window shows checking system with the ring turning.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Darryl
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    properly running novacom driver on your desktop.
    How do I know that I've done this?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Sorted!!!
    I checked on the device manager and it showed Palm with yellow question mark.
    I uninstalled it and then reinstalled WebOSDoctor but it installed drivers and this time it asked for a reboot (Windows XP) and then it did exactly what is supposed to do.
    On the Palm pages for webosdoctor it mentions that if it fails to re-download webosdoctor and run the process again.
    Why download it again? Does the recover process interact and modify the jar file?
    No, but a corrupted download is a common cause for the flashing process to fail part way through. So, downloading it again is a simple way to eliminate that possibility.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast