Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Alright, I'll let it charge some more. Hopefully it works.
    I can't tell if it's charging. The phone is still unresponsive and the battery is extremely warm to the touch.
    Sigh. . .It's not working.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    If the battery completely drains and you are using the touchstone you should get a battery symbol on the screen.

If not then it is either not charging or dead.

Have you tried reseating the touchstone cover and remove and reinstall the battery?

Also one of the suggestions was to plug the cable going to the touchstone directly into the Pre to charge it.

Have you done this?
    I removed the touchstone back. I've been charging from the wall and the computer. I've reseated the battery several times. All it does it get HOT. I can't get it to respond.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    That the battery is getting hot is a sign that it is getting power, but that it will not turn on shows that you've had a hardware failure, not software.

Take it back to your Sprint store and go through the dog and pony show of what the phone is doing. They should order you a refurb that will be in their store in one to two business days.
    Well damn. I guess it's off to Sprint I go. . .

Could this have been caused by the Touchstone? I noticed the TS would do that funky power-cycle glitch whenever I had my case on it. So I started charging it w/o the case and it worked fine until last night when my phone died on the charger.
    Back from the Sprint store. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and are going to send me a refurb!! I'm so excited. . .
    I should get it by saturday, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    The screw up you described CAN NOT brick a pre.

Your Pre is NOT bricked.

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    Im afraid to run webosdoctor because a few people here said it would return my phone to factory default settings and remove all my data,what do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    Im afraid to run webosdoctor because a few people here said it would return my phone to factory default settings and remove all my data,what do you think?
    If you describe the problems you are experiencing someone may know a way to fix the problem.
    Yes, but did you follow steps 1-5 exactly as I described, or did you just assume your phone was still in dev mode and plug it in?

The volume up trick while powering on the Pre as I described, starts a USB novacom boot mode that cannot be messed up unless you pull a flash chip out of your Pre and use specialized equipment to flash it, or do something equally unlikely and stupid to damage that hard coded programming.

The repair utility can NOT damage it because it's not part of the file system.

Also, verify that the novacom drivers are installed correctly on your desktop.
    Just wanted to make sure I can not do this if I'm trying to get pics off of my phone with a dead screen and sprint told me they are not backed up in my palm profile.I can get in DEV mode,but afraid to run doctor,any suggestions?
    Just wanted to make sure I can not do this if I'm trying to get pics off of my phone with a dead screen and sprint told me they are not backed up in my palm profile.I can get in DEV mode,but afraid to run doctor,any suggestions?
    Yes, I have a suggestion.

If I understand you correctly (and you seemed pretty clear) then the issue is that your touchscreen is dead and you want to back-up the stuff on your USB storage area before running webosdr and/or replacing your pre.

If I'm right, DO NOT RUN THE DOCTOR YET!!!!!

Just wanted to make sure you caught that line.

Anyway, plug your Pre into your computer, and hit Orange+u and it will put your Pre into USB mode without having to use the touchscreen. The feature was implemented in 1.3.1 for exactly this situation.

From there, you can back up all the stuff in your USB drive. Once you've done that, THEN you can run the Dr to see if it's a software problem, which I doubt. In any event, I'd dr it before sending it back anyway.
    Yes, I have a suggestion.

If I understand you correctly (and you seemed pretty clear) then the issue is that your touchscreen is dead and you want to back-up the stuff on your USB storage area before running webosdr and/or replacing your pre.

If I'm right, DO NOT RUN THE DOCTOR YET!!!!!

Just wanted to make sure you caught that line.

Anyway, plug your Pre into your computer, and hit Orange+u and it will put your Pre into USB mode without having to use the touchscreen. The feature was implemented in 1.3.1 for exactly this situation.

From there, you can back up all the stuff in your USB drive. Once you've done that, THEN you can run the Dr to see if it's a software problem, which I doubt. In any event, I'd dr it before sending it back anyway.
    Problem is I can do that and I get the little 3-way symbol at bottom right screen but it doesn't connect to my computer.Do I need to reacvtivate my old pre to update to 1.3.1 in order to connect to computer or since it does bring up the little symbol on the bottom right does that mean it is updated? Isn't the 3-way symbol dev mode not usb? If so I can't get past dev mode,I also tried the other way first by holding in volume button and resetting battery and it brings up same symbol but very large,takes up whole screen.The onlY thing that comes up on computer is box saying safely remove hardware and a j drive appears under computer and it says removable disk.I tried right clicking "open as removable disk" but get blank screen.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    When you do a partial erase or anything of the sort, developer mode is turned back off. So if you go to Dr and try to DR your phone, it won't let you. You have to first enable developer mode again and then dr it. But that should be your last step. make sure you got everything backed up in multiple places.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I was running the webosdoctor, went through the whole process. Once it completed, my phone was unresponsive....and now it won't turn on.

Anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike101 View Post
    I was running the webosdoctor, went through the whole process. Once it completed, my phone was unresponsive....and now it won't turn on.

Anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?
    That's an easy one. Just run the Dr again.

Although it's rare, and it's never happened to me after running the Dr 15 times or so, there is always a chance of something going wrong with the WebOSDr.

Just follow the steps outlined earlier in this thread for running the WebOSDoctor on and unresponsive Pre. There are 3 and ONLY 3 things that will keep that from working.

1. Failure to read and follow directions.
    2. Attempting it with an uncharged battery.
    3. An honest to goodness hardware failure.

Come to think of it, since it has been said several times that you need to plug your Pre in to charge for a while first, there's really only two things that could make it fail.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Removed the battery, waited a couple minutes, phone booted right back up....weird, but oh well! It works!
    Problem is I can do that and I get the little 3-way symbol at bottom right screen but it doesn't connect to my computer.Do I need to reacvtivate my old pre to update to 1.3.1 in order to connect to computer or since it does bring up the little symbol on the bottom right does that mean it is updated? Isn't the 3-way symbol dev mode not usb? If so I can't get past dev mode,I also tried the other way first by holding in volume button and resetting battery and it brings up same symbol but very large,takes up whole screen.The onlY thing that comes up on computer is box saying safely remove hardware and a j drive appears under computer and it says removable disk.I tried right clicking "open as removable disk" but get blank screen.
    Hey,I was told to run the doctor and update to 1.3.1.I have no other alternative,I was told I do not have 1.3.1 because holding red,sym,& u key does not put it in usb mode,I have had the phone a couple months and the update came out about a month ago.I was also told runnIng doctor may not delete my pics because it doesn't affect the usb side of the pre,I may as well take a chance before I dispose of it!
    I had called Palm and ordered a replacement when I saw this thread. It worked for me. Thanks.

Palm tech support does not know this; they were going to replace my phone.
    Laissez Faire
    VeeDubb65 I got To Say......Your the MAN .. Great job Helping, Thats what this fourm is for THANKS...
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast