Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyvsp View Post
    yes... but just to double check, I am downloading the updated one.

how do I verify which novacom drivers I have installed?

PS, if you help me figure this out I'll love you forever! No homo!
    Start run services.msc
    look for Palm Novacom make sure it says "Started"
    if it doesn't right click it and click start. you should be able to doctor now
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    wait... something just happened... I think its working!!! I hit next and now its at 14%! ITS WORKING!!!! ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like that stupid anakin kid in ep 1...
    Just read you got it fixed you restarted your computer didn't you :P? that also forces the system services to restart which may have caused it to work now lol
    wait... something just happened... I think its working!!! I hit next and now its at 14%! ITS WORKING!!!! ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like that stupid anakin kid in ep 1...
    I think I know what the problem was.

Even with the forced flash mode you get with the volume up key, it won't work if your battery is below 30%.

Your battery was probably too low, but charged enough to work while plugged in.

If it fails again, just plug it into the wall charger for a couple hours to get the battery up.

Like I (and a couple others) said, it's virtually impossible to brick a Pre, and requires either specialized equipment, or installing some very specialized linux software that nobody would ever tell you to install.
  4.    #24  
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! It worked!!!!! F*!*!*!*#@* yeah!!!!!!!!!! Damn! Yes! Palm pre is unbrickable!!!!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! It worked!!!!! F*!*!*!*#@* yeah!!!!!!!!!! Damn! Yes! Palm pre is unbrickable!!!!
    gz man happy for you!
  6.    #26  
    ok... I'm proof positive that the Palm Pre is unbreakable! Thanks to everyone at PreCentral.net! especially VeeDubb65!
    ok... I'm proof positive that the Palm Pre is unbreakable! Thanks to everyone at PreCentral.net! especially VeeDubb65!
    Just for the record, I'm sure it's "possible" to brick a pre without the use of a real brick, but it's damn hard to do.

Glad you got it going.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    this thread put a smile on my face
    all we are is just another brick in the wall

congrats to you im glad you got it working
    What a GREAT story! I LOVE happy Ending!!

Its soo awesome to have such smart people around!

So glad you got it back Sonnyvsp! !!! YAY!!
    Well, Well, Well!
    I wish I had read all these comments before upgrading to the Pre. I would have never decided to give up my Treo. The only feature on this piece of crab that has been very attractive and fully functional is its multi tasking ability...other than that, dont bother. For the past two days, a new phone that I bought less than a month ago, has kept me unreachable by my biz clients. When I make a phone call the intended receiver and myself hear nothing but static and loud noise which is very disturbing to the ear. You cannot even hear what the other is saying. Secondly, this piece of useless equipment just shuts down, and all calls routes to voice mail. I have to push the power switch to get it started just toooooo frequently! The phone is just tooo slow to boot up. I can go on and on with the problems with this phone that I have had for less than a month. It is outrightly USELESS!!!!!! Palm could have done a better job than this!!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emelet View Post
    Well, Well, Well!
    I wish I had read all these comments before upgrading to the Pre. I would have never decided to give up my Treo. The only feature on this piece of crab that has been very attractive and fully functional is its multi tasking ability...other than that, dont bother. For the past two days, a new phone that I bought less than a month ago, has kept me unreachable by my biz clients. When I make a phone call the intended receiver and myself hear nothing but static and loud noise which is very disturbing to the ear. You cannot even hear what the other is saying. Secondly, this piece of useless equipment just shuts down, and all calls routes to voice mail. I have to push the power switch to get it started just toooooo frequently! The phone is just tooo slow to boot up. I can go on and on with the problems with this phone that I have had for less than a month. It is outrightly USELESS!!!!!! Palm could have done a better job than this!!

Wow, I think you are in a minority with these issues. Perhaps you should get it replaced... It is a first gen device that is actually amazing. What generation treo were you sporting? Simmer down now...
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreyguy View Post
    Wow, I think you are in a minority with these issues. Perhaps you should get it replaced... It is a first gen device that is actually amazing. What generation treo were you sporting? Simmer down now...
    His problems have nothing to do with it being a first gen device, and everything to do with a defective unit.

Call sprint or palm and get it replaced. If you're still in your first 30 days, just take it back to whatever store you bought it from.

There is a 30 days, no questions asked return policy on sprint cell phones, unless there's obvious user damage.
    Congrats man, I'm happy that you"re phone wasn't bricked. Look at it this way, now you have an even more awesome story to tell about your phone!
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by efontenette View Post
    Congrats man, I'm happy that you"re phone wasn't bricked. Look at it this way, now you have an even more awesome story to tell about your phone!
    Hell yeah its a better story... I'm calling my phone Jesus. It died on saturday and 3 days later it came back to life! I thought it was kind of funny that sprint called my phone to tell me that my replacement phone was in today. UM... sprint... thanks but... I'm on my phone.... YOU CALLED MY PHONE.... Shouldn't that mean I don't need a replacement phone??? They're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by veedubb65 View Post
    just for the record, i'm sure it's "possible" to brick a pre without the use of a real brick, but it's damn hard to do.

Glad you got it going.
    nope! Its impossible! :d
    I hate to dig up an old thread, but the Pre is indeed brickable. Mine mysteriously died overnight, while sitting on the touchstone. None of the steps you've described to unbrick it have been working. . .
    Don't know where to go from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    I hate to dig up an old thread, but the Pre is indeed brickable. Mine mysteriously died overnight, while sitting on the touchstone. None of the steps you've described to unbrick it have been working. . .
    Don't know where to go from here.
    First, it sounds like it could be a hardware issue and not a software issue. Try recharging your phone with the cord plugged into your usb port. I believe it needs about 15% or so to be able to work if it dies. If it will not charge, try a different wall outlet and verify it is working.

Second, if you follow the steps to use WebOSDoctor you virtually cannot brick your Pre because of software issues. Really the only possible way to truly brick it would be to use QPST to gain deeper access to the phone and screw up something so bad that WebOSDoctor and a factory reset will not work. I don't even know what you can screw up to do this but in 99.99% of the cases, the Pre cannot be bricked because of software issues. Let me know if you need additional help.
    Ok. I've been letting it charge since the my earlier post. I'm still not getting anything. I have WebOSDr up but it isn't recognizing the Pre. My comp doesn't even see that it is attached. I've tried holding down the volume up button while powering on and nothing. It just shut itself off at some point while I was sleeping and now I can't get it to do anything. It was running fine yesterday. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    Ok. I've been letting it charge since the my earlier post. I'm still not getting anything. I have WebOSDr up but it isn't recognizing the Pre. My comp doesn't even see that it is attached. I've tried holding down the volume up button while powering on and nothing. It just shut itself off at some point while I was sleeping and now I can't get it to do anything. It was running fine yesterday. . .
    I would continue to let it charge. Somewhere on here I think I read that it took almost an hour to bring it back to life after the battery died. That's what sounds like happened. Either the touchstone/back went bad or it wasn't place directly in the right spot, or I guess a program could have been running that drained it faster than it was charging.

Ultimately, I would let it charge for more time before trying WebOSDoctor.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast