1.    #1  
    Well, I thought I'd make my first post in anticipation of the Pre that will soon be mine I can't wait. It's insane that we've had to wait 6 months since you guys saw the device in the States.

I come from CrackBerry.com, an I was previously an avid BlackBerry user, but I think that the HTML5 standard and beautiful creation that is PalmOS is absolutely the future - it makes Android pale in comparison. While I'm not quite so stoked about the hardware, I'm sure that future iterations will be more solid now that the initial OS is complete.

So, hello everyone!
    is the website down? it wont download the package feed on webos to get preware...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz8112 View Post
    is the website down? it wont download the package feed on webos to get preware...
    Seems to work for me
    awesome
    I'll be looking to get my Palm Pre soon after its release in the UK as well. Hoping that it's available unlocked from somewhere like Expansys soon after the 16th. I don't want to be tied to an 18-24 month contract as I'm moving to Australia like halfway through next year.

I don't know a lot about unlocking phones, but assuming that the unlocking gets around the initial activation, would there be a lot that the phone couldn't do because it was unlocked in this way? Would I be able to put any SIM in it and use it on other networks?
  6.    #6  
    Shootz,

Whether or not it will be possible to unlock the Pre this early on is the biggest problem you face - once you have unlocked it, it's likely that everything will work as normal. The phone carriers warn that MMS in particular might be broken through unlocking, but this has never happened to me on any of the 5 or so phones I've unlocked. Personally I like O2 the best and I'm going nowhere so a contract is fine with me.

If you can get it unlocked, it's all good!
    I'm waiting for it's release on Friday too. Hoping to grab one at 9am with a Touchstone pack before I head into work - that way I've got the weekend to set it all up...
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    ....Hoping that it's available unlocked from somewhere like Expansys soon after the 16th....

Expansys wont get it until next year and that probably applies to other resellers too.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I'm also waiting for the Friday release.... Can't wait to get my hands on it after reading about all the features and customisation available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Expansys wont get it until next year and that probably applies to other resellers too.
    Where did you get this information from?

Looking at the other thread, the fact that the mobile data settings are not manually configurable is a major drag for anyone thinking about using it on another network anyway.
  11.    #11  
    ONE DAY LEFT! Weeeeeeeeeee!
    I can't wait! I've requested my PAC code from Orange, been with them for 9 years!
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I can't wait! I've requested my PAC code from Orange, been with them for 9 years!
    It will be few more hours before you get it .
    Enjoy the phone.

And write a review.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    I'm also waiting for the Friday release.... Can't wait to get my hands on it after reading about all the features and customisation available.
    You won't be disappointed, its worth the wait.
    Quick question: is the number of text's limited as it is (was?) on older phones? I'm sick of having to manage my inbox because of samsung's bizarre choices to limit text messages to 200, even when there's loads of memory spare
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    O2's marketing effort for this seems pretty lackluster and actually slightly odd - I'm surprised to see it's not on the frontpage and even on the frontpage of the shop it simply says "coming soon!" rather than "Tomorrow! ".
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by manifold View Post
    Quick question: is the number of text's limited as it is (was?) on older phones? I'm sick of having to manage my inbox because of samsung's bizarre choices to limit text messages to 200, even when there's loads of memory spare
    I've never heard of this being done, I would be very surprised if the Pre came with that limitation
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    Ditto.

The customer retention man tried his hardest to stop me. Told me the Pre looked very plastic, mind you I had to spell out PRE for him so he could google it first. On the ball or what
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway