1.    #1  
    Why does some pics taken with the Pre come out grainy, and others crystal clear?

I noticed this happens when the Pre is in a low light area, but what is interesting is you would think the flash would make all the difference ... Low light as in indoors, with a small light etc. in background ...

Natural light photos especially outdoor shots seem to come out exceptionally well ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

There is a certain level of light that is required to get above the level of signal in the camera CCD that drowns out the electronic noise. The CCD on the Pre is pretty small. It takes a certain amount of light to get "good readings" from the CCD pixels.

This is the same thing that makes a wow, gee whiz 12 megapixel point and shoot camera completely fail, when a good DSLR 6 megapixel camera can shine. The CCD is bigger to begin with and then there are fewer pixels which collect more light.

All about the amount of light reaching the sensor.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    And the Pre's flash is not strong enough of a light to provide anything for the camera, IMO.
  4.    #4  
    hmm interesting, makes sense though kinda sucks, but never expected it to be superb, although the reason why posted was at random times I would snap pretty dam good looking photos while others like tonight just foolin around indoors they were coming out very grainy
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Photography 101.

Low light means either a slower shutter speed, bigger aperture, or more sensitive medium (sensor in a digital or film in a film camera).

The pre's aperture is fixed, so that can't be changed, the shutter speed has to be relatively fast or you'll get blurry photos, and so that means that the sensor needs to become more sensitive.

When it becomes more sensitive, it also becomes more noisy. When the sensor is noisy, the picture will be grainy.

It's true of 4000 dollar DSLRs and cell phone cameras alike.

edit: as for lighting, what your eye perceives as "enough light" is far different than what a camera considers good lighting. The "flash" on the pre is next to useless, unless your subject is less than a foot or two away.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I happen to think the auto photo editing feature on the phone is quit nice. and it seems like common knowledge to be in well lit areas for good photos, I mean its just a cell phone camera not professional modeling photos
    You know, I remmeber the camera being hyped with "Advanced Depth of Field"...where is it?
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    You know, I remmeber the camera being hyped with "Advanced Depth of Field"...where is it?
    That's probably marketing speak for it's got a very small aperture so it has a very big depth of field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    That's probably marketing speak for it's got a very small aperture so it has a very big depth of field.
    Certainly it is marketing speak, but not only marketing speak. Pre has a chip that is doing some image processing in real time. It is doing some sharpening at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    And the Pre's flash is not strong enough of a light to provide anything for the camera, IMO.
    You can force it when it wouldn't normally fire for reducing shadows by strong light. So it doesn't provide much, but it is better than not being there. Like any flash, it is better used opposite of when most people do.

There is a reason why good photographers pull out their flashes in strong sunlight.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Certainly it is marketing speak, but not only marketing speak. Pre has a chip that is doing some image processing in real time. It is doing some sharpening at the very least.
    Which is irritating to me. I don't want my pictures processed at all. I'd prefer to be the one doing the processing, not some crappy software. Give me a .dng (ok so there is SOME processing required still...just not the crazy amount that it does currently) and let me go from there please.

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    You can force it when it wouldn't normally fire for reducing shadows by strong light. So it doesn't provide much, but it is better than not being there. Like any flash, it is better used opposite of when most people do.

There is a reason why good photographers pull out their flashes in strong sunlight.
    There's a reason why good photographers don't use flashes too but point taken.

The guide number for the flash has to be about 1 or 2. It's essentially worthless unless you're taking pictures of your junk in the dark from 6 inches away.