1.    #1  
    T-Mobile: yeah, your data is probably kaput. Please don't turn off your Sidekick, mmmkay?

Read link first:
    Sidekickā„¢ - T-Mobile Forums

A choice quote:
    Regrettably, based on Microsoft/Danger's latest recovery assessment of their systems, we must now inform you that personal information stored on your device - such as contacts, calendar entries, to-do lists or photos - that is no longer on your Sidekick almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger
    Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot

I mean, really? First off, love the fact of someone naming the infrastructure "Microsoft/Danger" (priceless, really). But since all of us Pre users also rely on cloud-based backup/storage, how much can you really trust any service?

Surely, the existing EULAs we all have to agree include enough disclaimers to shield the companies from any action. Yet, we all rely blindly on them.

And no, it's not like I have any idea how to solve this (besides a local backup/storage solution), but it's still very concerning, nonetheless.
    It's interesting. I don't think it's the same with the Pre but it's something to ponder.

Apparently the Sidekick syncs automatically on startup with the Microsoft/Danger service, and if there's nothing there, it deletes everything locally as well.

The Pre syncs with Palm Profile on account reactivation or a hard reset, and it's only your settings. Everything else is up to you and the services you use. Exchange contacts are on Exchange. Gmail contacts on Goolge, Facebook on Facebook. Palm doesn't sync all of those to your Palm Profile, the Pre is only showing you a unified view of all your sources in Synergy, which is a local database.

I don't know that backing to a local hard drive is any safer or necessary.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  3.    #3  
    ...all your sources in Synergy, which is a local database.
    By "local", you mean on the Pre itself, right?

You are right in that the Pre would still behave normally if it couldn't access the cloud, and even though we can still easily get our pictures off the Pre (and whose great idea at T-Mobile/Microsoft was to have the pictures loaded off the phone automatically?), non-Exchange users (raises hand) are left at the mercy of Google for their contact syncing and the backups.

And although there are apps that would do the same locally, you have to pay extra for those.

/edit: and on my days with the Treo, the backup data is so small, I had copies saved on my email, local drive and external drives.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    T-Mobile: yeah, your data is probably kaput. Please don't turn off your Sidekick, mmmkay?

Read link first:
    Sidekickā„¢ - T-Mobile Forums

A choice quote:

Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot

I mean, really? First off, love the fact of someone naming the infrastructure "Microsoft/Danger" (priceless, really). But since all of us Pre users also rely on cloud-based backup/storage, how much can you really trust any service?

Surely, the existing EULAs we all have to agree include enough disclaimers to shield the companies from any action. Yet, we all rely blindly on them.

And no, it's not like I have any idea how to solve this (besides a local backup/storage solution), but it's still very concerning, nonetheless.
    The cloud is EVIL!!